AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.8: The Bountiful Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.8: The Bountiful Update!
Page 2 of 8 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 19:25

Yeah, I have that enabled for AN. But, like I said, Jess and I do not have any resource packs on our home server, which is where this prototype was built. We're as vanilla as Vanilla Ice!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-06, 19:57

You can always store the texture pack locally. This would allow you to change to it without having the server serve it out to you. This is also in the Official AppleNova Minecraft Server Details thread.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 20:36

Ok. Following Turtle's advice, I have downloaded and installed the AN resource pack.

So, new screenshot for Grey's .

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 20:37

In about 45 minutes, I plan on logging in and building this prototype on the AN server for walkthrough.

See you then!
¡Damned!

2014-09-06, 20:39

See? See‽ Seeeee‽‽‽

SO MUCH BETTER
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 20:40

Here is a screenshot from above:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-06, 20:41

I want it to be more open and "airy". I think this one accomplishes that so far.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-06, 21:31

Well that certainly does do it! Worst case glass could be added later. When we did rails in Nether on a world long ago they would spawn on the tracks there. I only made my rail runs one block wide and they filled the tunnels. Just part of the territory it seems.

Maybe that part has changed now and pigmen won't spawn on the tracks now. That would be very cool.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-07, 01:27

So far, I haven't had a pigman spawn in the prototype.

Speaking of which, there is now a prototype built out in the Nether in the AN map. From spawn, take the North passage until you see a little bump-out in the path (just past Drew's Shooting Gallery). There is a door into the prototype that I would like to keep closed at all times. This keeps the pigs out so we can see if they are spawning.

The prototype is public in every way. Feel free to look about and make changes. However, if you do make changes, I would like it noted here in the thread so we have a running record of what changed and why. Also, changes should take into consideration pigman spawning. Floors should be glass, blocks with something on top of them (such as torches), or slabs at half-height. Near as I can tell, Pigdudes aren't spawning on those things.

I feel the best way to have a community project like this is with both a thread and a running prototype that can be updated and all can walk through.

Just before the wipe, we can all decide on a final design that will get photographed and posted here so we have a template to work from. Should we decide a wipe is imminent, Jess suggested we establish a "donation box" (or boxes … many, many boxes ). We can build a temporary building near the Space Needle to house said boxes and boxes and boxes. The current prototype will likely use 10+ chests* of glass, 10+ of stone slabs, 1 of iron fence, 1 of glowstone, 1 of rail, and a smattering of miscellaneous supplies. It will be very [expensive] resource heavy.

Should we decide to do this, I plan on cashing out for supplies. Grey has also offered to contribute. We will need a lot.

* All measurements are in large chests.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-08, 00:09

I've had a lot of stuff going on but I have no complaints with what you're doing, keep going!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 09:41

Putting some more thought into it, is there really a need for a rail system in the Nether? The distances are so short to begin with that it seems like a huge material waste considering the short travel times. Would we be better off putting that material to use building a subway system in the over-world and keeping the Nether a walking transportation system?

Also, I can come up with one very big reason to keep the Nether hub covered and safe: Horses. Jess and I moved a pile of horses through the Nether last night and I can tell you right now the sheer impossibility of such a venture were Ghasts raining fireballs down on our heads.

I think Nether Hub 2.0 should have arms radiating out in X, Y that are fully protected. We can build unprotected runs in the diagonal directions (since those tend to look froggy anyway). That way, we have both protected and unprotected arms, still connected at the perimeter (by protected arms).

Leave the rail for up top?

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-09-08, 11:39

i found a really awesome horse one time, tried leading him into a nether portal. I went thru the portal, but he didnt follow. I went back and all i saw was his saddle waiting for me to pick it up. Now i swim my horses across the sea before i trust a nether portal.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-08, 11:59

It's all about the area around the portal and how much room the animal has when they spawn. Quite often they will spawn with their butts out the entrance and their heads in the wall. They quickly suffocate and die. Portals and animals are tricky business.

Jess figured this all out and we now have a horse-roundup/corral in the Nether. I moved about 30 horses a few weeks ago and her and I just moved another 16 last night.

All portals involved need to have a hollow backside, i.e. at least one empty block on the non-exit side of the portal so the animal's head can safely spawn without getting "lopped off". Preferably, all portals involved should have empty space all the way around of at least 3 blocks.

The OW portal I use at the roundup has nothing blocking either entrance. I back through (past) the portal veil—such that I don't go into the Nether—while pulling the horse right up to the veil. As soon as the horse disappears, I follow it through, lasso it, and maneuver it to a holding pen before going back for more. To get them out, it is roughly the opposite. Jess and I will also push the horses through and tag-team with one of us on each end of the portal. When moving a large number of animals, working in teams is far easier.

Either way, of the 50+ horses we have moved in the past few weeks, we have only lost 2.

If you want to see it in action, you are welcome to visit our roundup at the very far end of the East tunnel (just before the Wither Skellie spawner)

¡Damned!

2014-09-12, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Bukkit isn't dead, but CraftBukkit is essentially a zombie. I'm guessing it will be for months, if not just tossing the project into the pyre while Mojang continues to build their own API. It will be incredibly hurtful to the server community in the meantime. Even if Mojang and the developer come to terms, the door is open now. Basically anyone can issue a DMCA takedown against servers that distribute this mix (or, .jar) as long as they've contributed to the code.

It's DMCA gone wrong (and used correctly, ironically), and if it didn't affect me so much I'd love to be watching on the sidelines on how this all plays out.
So, more Bukkit developers and support are now leaving in droves, so it looks like the end. Sad. There's a lot of blame to go around, so I don't want to point an angry finger or 3 at the moment, but yeesh, just sad.

Looks like we'll be going native when we go to 1.8. Which is OK. Though, I think I'll miss /repair the most… /pours a drop on the floor /sheds one tear.

Hubbub is that a lot of the mod creators are heading over to Sponge. We'll see. It's early and those people are heady and high-fiving each other off of some slight they think they gave Mojang - who could give zero shits about them at this point.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-09-13, 00:11

And we lose... or at least my friends like y'all who are really big players.

Oh well

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-09-13, 12:57

It is what it is. Perhaps there some other /back and /repair options out there? I don't know, since I don't follow that stuff. If those things exist, I think they should be pursued. Honestly, I can do without the market and a ton of the other /things, but /back and /repair are HUGE!

Anyway, if and when the knowers get the time/opportunity, perhaps there will be an alternative. If not, then vanilla it is!

Cashout Cove is gonna get one final, massive cash out! Then, I suggest we find a new name.

¡Damned!

2014-09-26, 19:28

Où est Bradley?

I'm going to PM you, Brad. You know I hate to bug.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-15, 09:16

So pre-release for 1.8.1 is out: http://mojang.com/2014/10/minecraft-...pre-release-1/

Looks like some good fixes in it too.

Any word from Brad at all?

Edit: that was fast:
Quote:
Nathan Adams
11:01 You can probably expect a 1.8.1-pre2 tomorrow to fix the bugs introduced whilst fixing bugs.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-10-15 at 10:25.
¡Damned!

2014-10-15, 13:41

I think the rite is something like putting on TOS, staring into the screen, and chanting his secret name 3 times:

"StarfleetX"
"StarfleetX"
"StarfleetX"

We'll see if that shakes the branches.

The .1 update has a feature that I never thought would be fixed. You actually face the right direction after warping through a portal.

This will affect the Nether rebuild a little bit, but not in a big way. We just need to go to everyone's places and make a note of which way the frames are facing.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-15, 13:45

I saw that portal thing too! It's only a small detail, but it is a detail.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-16, 09:37

1.8.1 pre2 is out.
Quote:
Update: We have released 1.8.1-pre2 to fix a few more issues:

[Bug MC-69562] – Can't play LAN whilst offline
[Bug MC-73025] – Falling blocks do not animate
[Bug MC-73026] – Unable to hit the ender dragon
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-11-07, 00:38

Jeebus. I've finally gotten to the point on this new machine where I'm downloading MC but I can't remember what I'm supposed to do to get back up and running.

Has Brad vacated entirely?

Are you entirely in charge (and full of instructions) Turtle??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-10, 23:28

Until Brad actually surfaces and is available then yes, I'm in charge of the MC server. I'm not jumping to make any changes because they aren't worth making right now as it is. Since we will have to move to vanilla with the death of Craftbukkit it's not a huge deal anyway. Now hat Nether is done, shortly after the new update is out we should be upgrading around that time give or take a few days to let others find bugs for us.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-26, 21:25

So it looks like 1.8.1 dropped!

I don't know that I'm going to be able to make a change this weekend with my family in town. I hope Brad can get on and do it before I am available though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-26, 23:56

I think it's important to put out an all-points-bulletin to everyone that 1.8 is very near.

Some important things to remember:

1) All player inventory will be lost, so dump your stuff.
2) The market is going bye-bye (possibly for permanent for ever for realz!) so spend any loot you have or it goes woosh!
3) /back is going bye-bye!
4) /repair is also going bye-bye

I know jess and I are ready, and I'm pretty sure Grey is, but I know a number of players haven't been on a lot, lately. So word of warning to all. Log in, even if only for the few minutes it will take to unload your inventory into a convenient chest. Take off any armor and put it away. Spend any money you have in the market on neat stuff like diamonds and other shiny things.

Be ready! When Turtle/Brad push the button, we're vanilla all the way! Good or bad, it is what it is.

Edit: Oh, and Turtle, turn that server on high, cuz Grey and I are huntin' ocean monuments like there's no tomorrow!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-11-27, 00:57

Thanks for the warning!!!

¡Damned!

2014-11-27, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Spend any money you have in the market on neat stuff like diamonds and other shiny things.
Or cheap, mundane things. Most every one of the new blocks in 1.8 (with the exception of monument blocks) can be crafted with existing 1.7 materials, so I've been stocking a few chests full of cheap stuff in preparation.

Best market deals, imo:
Red Sand* (10/$15), Podzol (10/$10), Vine** (10/$10), Hardened Clay (10/$150)

* because of relative rarity and its use in 1.8 to make Red Sandstone.
** because harvesting large quantities of vines is a pain, and they can be used in 1.8 to make Mossy Cobble and Mossy Stone Bricks.

Good deal combos for upcoming blocks:
½ stack gravel + ½ stack dirt = 1 stack Course Dirt. ($64/stack)
4 stacks red sand = 1 stack Red Sandstone. ($384/stack)
9 slimeballs = 1 Slime Block. ($54/block - $3456/stack)
• Quartz (10/$800) because:
½ quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Andesite ($40/block - $2560/stack)
1 quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Diorite ($80/block - $5120/stack)
2 quartz + 1 cobble = 1 Granite ($160/block - $10240/stack)

And yes, closest Monument to CC is getting turned into a Shard farm.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-27, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
And yes, closest Monument to CC is getting turned into a Shard farm.
Let's hope for one in one of the oceans immediately around the main island. Should one be located there, I will do all in my power to contain myself and leave it for corporate use. However, the first one I find outside that area is getting bulldozed!

I have my materials already gathered for one, massive leveling project!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-27, 15:33

Yeah, I cashed out my stuff last night. I haven't emptied my pockets yet, thanks for the reminder of that one.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-11-27, 19:21

Gleek and I were just about to do the same, but the server looks like its down, you didn't push the button already, did you?