Apple Watch
Page 10 of 11 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  Next Thread Tools
R.Williams

2015-06-25, 09:49

I'm not
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-06-25, 10:35

I didn't think he was. I checked his past posts. Not the typical spammy nonsense.

I just think that "review" was atrocious. That's all.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2015-06-25, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I didn't think he was. I checked his past posts. Not the typical spammy nonsense.

I just think that "review" was atrocious. That's all.
The blogging and domain purchasing posts in the AppleTV HDD Upgrade thread are pretty suspicious IMO.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-06-25, 19:57

Yeah, it was the posting twice in that thread and in this one with links to outside sources. All of the other posts by that user lack any real depth and only look to serve to add post count. Maybe I'm just being cynical though.

I don't think I am.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-07-01, 23:04

Well, 5 or 6 weeks in...

I love what the watch does and is capable of doing. I do not regret it and will likely be a long time watch owner and wearer.

But, I hate how the Watch works and how I have to interact with it. The interface sucks and I think many, including myself, accept the problems with the interface, because of how great it is that the Watch can do some of the things it does.

1. Apps are virtually useless to me, and I really don't see native apps changing that much. The primary problem is accessing them. The home screen is just terrible design all around. It is not predictable, not easy, not quick, and requires too much dexterity. Then it is slow to load, and the apps are limited and their own interfaces suck. Those last complaints are likely to improve with native apps, but the fact remains, that getting to them is cumbersome and i may as well use my phone.

2. Working out with the Apple Watch is both awesome, and awful. Awesome in that I love having my workout watch on 24/7, and that it is stylish enough to wear 24/7 and that it has 24/7 heart rate monitoring on my wrist. Additional sensors will be key to Apple Watch's success in my opinion as the fitness tracking is kind of what gets you hooked and want to wear it as much as possible... at least for me, but I don't think Im alone.

However, the screen and interface is atrocious when working out... virtually unusable. The screen once it is wet with sweat barely registers touch. I just spent literally 3-5 minutes trying to force touch the screen to bring up the end workout dialog, after going on a 4 mile run in 92 degree heat. While running, it was virtually impossible to change the songs, volume, or screen without the presses not registering, pressing the wrong area, or going to and from the clock face, and/or home screen constantly. It's distracting, and i either put myself at risk while trying to maintain pace, or have to come to a stop. Additionally, there seems to be no way to quickly disable notifications JUST while working out...I may want phone calls to come through while working out but i don't need stupid app notifications or email notifications.

3. In general, the interface and the size of touch points just does not seem well thought out for ease of use.

4. Speed... lots of slow refresh rates for screen draws across the board... notifications while you are using the watch and doing something else cause hiccups all the time.

That's the ugly. What do you guys think? Agree, disagree? Add to it?
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-07-02, 04:41

Besides notifications, I only use the watch to jumpstart activities like walking directions or working out. In fact, as with most watches I rarely use it to check the time and still instinctively pull out my phone.

But then again, that's all I really want out of it right now. It's 1.0 hardware running what I still consider beta software.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-07-02, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Additionally, there seems to be no way to quickly disable notifications JUST while working out...I may want phone calls to come through while working out but i don't need stupid app notifications or email notifications.
Have you tried turning on Do Not Disturb? It's the wee crescent moon icon... default position: the far left of glances - it should stop all incoming notifications other than VIP phone calls.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-02, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Have you tried turning on Do Not Disturb? It's the wee crescent moon icon... default position: the far left of glances - it should stop all incoming notifications other than VIP phone calls.
Honestly, no. Something in my brain did not make the connection to that, but I will from now on. It is an additional step, and it's more swiping back and forth between glances... but better than nothing.

The Watch is at its best when it knows what you want and works as you expect it to. I'm not sure why Apple would think that by default people would want all notification rules to remain the same during a Workout and would also want them to take over the screen.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-02, 08:37

Instead of the home screen they should switch to a scrollable list.

Or, at the very least, they should make the default home screen zoomed in. Why start zoomed out other than aesthetics?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-02, 12:49

I also love my Watch but have noticed a few things about it.

Typically everything mirrors iPhone so I don't have to worry about it going in DND as another gadget to change. I love the fact that it doesn't do duplicate alerts from my phone. As it is, this morning I got 1400 email messages because a server I managed was under a massive distributed brute force attack. Having my iPad and iPhone both going off for each notice was already too much, adding the Watch to that too would have had me throwing devices.

I generally agree about the Apps, most of them anyway. I personally have limited the number of apps that are on my Watch from the ones that are available because of the companion iPhone app. You can see those in the screen caps below.

Since I only walk or cycle for my workouts I haven't had too hard of a time using the apps. Admittedly, it is not easy or the most intuitive trying to navigate the options while peddling or at full pace when walking. I don't hate the interface, but it is hard when you're sweaty. This doesn't shock me though, my iPhone is a pain when I'm sweaty.

The Watch is really slow and now even more so running the beta. I'm just going to chalk that up to the beta software but it was never as fast as I hoped it would be. Given that my battery life dropped drastically in switching to the beta doesn't help either. I used to be able to end the day with 20-30% charge remaining. Now I'm always below 10% or have stopped to charge it at least for a little bit. I'm again trying to chalk that up to being beta bugs.

I've gotten to where I rely on my Watch more and more though. I do use it as a Watch foremost though. I still pull my phone out of my pocket, but now it is generally because reading and responding to the text is easier on it than the Watch. I use Siri on the Watch way more than I ever did on my phone, but I hate looking like a douche talking to Siri on my Watch in public.

Here are my screens of my Watch as of now. Zoomed in followed by zoomed out:

I hardly ever use most of them outside of complications on my watch face. I never use iCal, Maps, Mail, Music, World Time, Alarms, Pictures, Stocks, or Phone directly (though I have answered incoming calls). Remote is currently broken for my because of what looks like a Home Sharing bug with the betas. That was one I used all the time before.

My two most used are Activity and Alarm.com by far. Remote shutter control for my phone is awesome, but not practical most of the time because I have to find a place to prop my phone up to be able to do much with it. It also doesn't have the ability to start video recordings, only still shots. This is a bummer. I'd likely use it more if I could control video starts and stuff like an action cam.

MacID, awesome. Being able to unlock the Mac with my Watch is better than pulling out my phone and using the Touch ID.

Overall, I'm still absolutely thrilled with my purchase and don't regret a dime of it. While I'm looking forward to faster and more powerful models in the future, I'm loving this one more than any other device I've gotten from Apple in a long time. It really does everything I was hoping it would and it simplifies my life, a lot.

As a bonus, my current watch face:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2015-07-02, 13:19

I don't mind it being zoomed out at first on the home screen. That may be because I don't have many apps on the watch yet, but I prefer it being zoomed out, scroll to the app I want, then zoom in to open it. I would rather zoom in then having to zoom out, find the app, and then zoom back in to open it or scrolling the zoomed in version to find the app that I want.

A lot of issues people seem to be having with the UI, I don't mind them at all. Of course that is just me and my opinion.

But yeah I love the watch after 1.5 weeks with it.

giggity
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-02, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I don't mind it being zoomed out at first on the home screen. That may be because I don't have many apps on the watch yet, but I prefer it being zoomed out, scroll to the app I want, then zoom in to open it. I would rather zoom in then having to zoom out, find the app, and then zoom back in to open it or scrolling the zoomed in version to find the app that I want.

A lot of issues people seem to be having with the UI, I don't mind them at all. Of course that is just me and my opinion.

But yeah I love the watch after 1.5 weeks with it.
Well, looking at the two screen captures of the home screen above, it seems to me that it would be far more efficient and legible to have the first photo be the default view when you enter the home screen. At that scale everything is legible and tappable, and if you want to see stuff off screen its an easy swipe left/right/up/down...

In the right screen you would have to still swipe left/right/up/down while squinting to decipher the app icon, then move the fingers to a mechanical dial (digital crown), zoom in to a specific portion of the screen that may not be exactly where you want, and then move back and swipe left/right/up/down again to find the appropriate app and tap it.

It also drives me nuts that it is two digital crown touches to get back to the clock face.... one to center the home screen for really no reason (i almost never need the home screen centered) and then a 2nd to actually return to the clock face. Doesn't sound like a major annoyance but do it a dozen times a day, in an already complicated interface, and it can be pretty clumsy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-07-03, 01:07

The first app screen is what I see when I press the digital crown once. I have to scroll the crown to see the zoomed out version. Maybe it's a setting I changed and didn't realize it. Mine has always been like this though. I just checked Mrs T's and her's is the same as mine.

I agree about having to push the crown twice though. I end up just turning my wrist away and giving a few seconds before looking at the face again. My watch is configured to return to watch face on wrist raise. Normally the apps I'm looking at have the time in them too so it's not like I would need to know the time when I go to exit the app.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-07-10, 16:40

Went for a ride with new bike gloves. The welting kept poking the side button of my Apple Watch, so I decided to flip it so the buttons face the other way. To me this actually feels a lot better. The crown's big and loose enough to operate with a thumb. Also when I press the button without bracing the case on the other side, it no longer slides thanks to the pointy bits on my ulna and radius. Long sleeves could be an issue I guess, but not really.

Last edited by Eugene : 2015-07-10 at 17:03.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-10, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Went for a ride with new bike gloves. The welting kept poking the side button of my Apple Watch, so I decided to flip it so the buttons face the other way. To me this actually feels a lot better. The crown big and loose enough to operate with a thumb. Also when I press the button without bracing the case on the other side, it no longer slides thanks to the pointy bits on my ulna and radius. Long sleeves could be an issue I guess, but not really.

It does seem to work better in that orientation.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-24, 06:34

Has anyone else been installing the watchOS 2 betas?

I feel like this latest beta is significantly worse in terms of sluggishness than the previous one.

I've had to force reset my watch 4 times in two days to get it to turn on.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2015-07-24, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Has anyone else been installing the watchOS 2 betas?

I feel like this latest beta is significantly worse in terms of sluggishness than the previous one.

I've had to force reset my watch 4 times in two days to get it to turn on.
I'm on the previous beta right now, and I'm (mostly) happy with it. I've heard bad things about the latest one, so I'm not updating yet. I'll wait and see how the next one turns out.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-24, 08:38

I'm running the latest beta. It's a lot better than the previous one for me.

None have been great.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-24, 09:07

I did some reading on the dev forums and it seems that the Simple watch face is causing problems with beta 4.

I switched over to the Modular face, and it's behaving much better through the morning so far.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-07-24, 09:46

makes sense, Modular is all i use. It's the only one with a good balance of info, and a practical calendar view in my opinion. Wish it looked cooler though.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-24, 10:05

I like how in beta 4 you can make the Modular face more colorful. The activity rings actually show up as colors on the face. It's pretty nice.

I still prefer the analog looking face, but Modular isn't bad either.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-07-24, 10:59

Anyone have any luck getting music on the watch with iOS 9? I just get a bunch of grayed out songs and a constant "sync lending" message.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-08-18, 21:49

I'm selling them for $4 now.

Don't delay!!!

MBHockey
skates=grafs

2015-09-09, 08:05

Picked up a space gray sport watch with the black band a couple of weeks ago. Almost returned in two times. One time, factory reset it, put it back in the box, and ready to return the next day. I just couldn't understand the value. For $400, it seemed to not do enough. Something clicked a few days later though. I stopped forcing it and just let it be. I found it was a very pleasant, yet largely passive, device to use.

I love running with it. I use Runkeeper and the Workout app. I'm surprised how close the mileage is between the two at the end of long runs. HR data is right on the money (although, just as all wrist HR sensors fail in the gym with weight training, the AW is no exception).

I work in a busy ER and it's nice to not have to constantly take out my phone from my scrubs pocket to get notifications.

Looking forward to OS2 today. But was hoping we'd get to buy custom watch faces from the App Store. That doesn't look likely. I guess it's along the same lines as no custom lock screens for iOS devices? I bounce between Utility and Modular with the Chronograph a distant third. Which is strange, because my real watches are all chronographs!

Edit: Agree with Brave Ulysses. I don't use most apps on the watch. I also find the interface clunky and difficult to navigate. And also agree it's difficult to navigate the interface during a run. I think the last of these will be solved once heart rate is added to 3rd party apps. The only reason I fuss with the screen during a workout is to look between the Workout app (to look at HR) and Runkeeper app (everything else). If everything was displayed in one screen (Pace, distance, time, HR) i wouldn't need to bounce back and forth between them.

Last edited by MBHockey : 2015-09-09 at 09:09.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2015-11-06, 17:31

Apple Watch really has lost a lot of momentum the past few months, particularly with developers.

WatchOS 2.0 seemed to have a lot of promise, but there are barely any native apps. It was suppose to be a major update for fitness apps... but so far the only one to be native is Runtastic.

It appears Apple's workout API does not allow native WatchOS apps to use the iPhone for GPS. So without GPS, fitness app makers are torn... native app with no route mapping, or continue to use an iPhone app with a watch interface.

It's pretty disappointing. There really has yet to be a killer use of the watch.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-11-07, 01:25

I'm still loving my Watch and only have a few native apps. The reality is they don't matter much to me. I still only use a small handful of the apps on my Watch.

I'm thinking this will continue to develop over time and grow like the iPod did.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-01-16, 13:15

I've been wanting to get an Apple Watch lately just for workout purposes, but I can't decide if I should just go ahead and pull the trigger, especially since they've been on sale at places, or wait it out to see if there's an update coming up....

Any thoughts?

The one thing I wanted in it is an independent GPS so I don't have to take my phone with me when I go running.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-01-16, 14:43

I still wear mine every day and switch bands pretty frequently.

It's great as a fitness tracker and is a bi reason why I continue to wear it. The notifications right ton your wrist are a great thing too. I pretty much never carry my phone around the house anymore. Everything goes straight to my wrist. If I need to handle it, then I'll grab my phone, or iPad, or Macbook.

There are very few apps that I use on the watch though. Carrot weather is pretty much it. Everything else is just way too limited still.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-01-16, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I've been wanting to get an Apple Watch lately just for workout purposes, but I can't decide if I should just go ahead and pull the trigger, especially since they've been on sale at places, or wait it out to see if there's an update coming up....

Any thoughts?

The one thing I wanted in it is an independent GPS so I don't have to take my phone with me when I go running.
I love my Apple Watch and don't regret it, but at this time, for a pure workout/fitness tracking watch, I would have to say that Garmin has better products out. I miss GPS dearly, and the screen on the Apple Watch is literally unusable when wet or if your hand is sweaty. Apple also did a shockingly poor job of designing the interface and thinking about what you want to see and what you don't want to see while working out. It drives me nuts that notifications take over the screen while running. Sure, I can go into settings and turn notifications off.... but why doesn't it do that automatically? Why doesn't it cycle through the fitness stats while working out? Why do dialogue boxes not fit on the apple watch screen, requiring you to scroll literally a few pixels down to click the button? So many poor design elements in the software. And the hardware just feels really overwhelmed by everything running on it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2016-10-04, 07:42

I've had my watch for a week now and absolutely love it. One thing that annoys me though is the sounds for the Message app. When my phone is paired with my watch, I don't get my Message sounds, rather just a vibration and a ding. Is there anyway to have both?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey