Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Question about the rumored Intel iBook/Macbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question about the rumored Intel iBook/Macbook
wald023

Send a message via MSN to wald023  
2006-03-13, 14:34

Only a few weeks ago I was planning on buying the 12" iBook from the online Apple Store with a student discount. I currently have a Dell Ispiron 2600 that has a dead battery and now has a hard drive that seems to be going out. I NEED a laptop for school this coming fall and finally have an excuse to switch over to a Mac. The other day I hopped onto Appleinsider and saw the rumors of the Intel based iBook/Macbook. So obviously I've put off buying the iBook in favor of waiting and seeing what Apple has in store for the iBook line.

My question is do you guys think the new iBook/Macbook will be available immediately after its announcement or sometime after?

Also, the pricetag? Will it stay at the sub-$1000 price mark or be more, what do you think? -jesse
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-03-13, 14:57

Like AppleInsider, I'm expecting to see a new "MacBook" this Spring. It makes sense - April is the buying season for the educational market.

It might not be available immediately, but I'm not expecting a huge wait. You'll certainly be able to get it long before the fall.

I don't think the price will increase. If the "MacBook" does increase in price, then Apple will likely introduce a sub-$1,000 "MacBook mini." You'll definitely be able to buy an Apple laptop for under $1,000.

Also, Apple will probably start Cram & Jam/Student Union when they debut the MacBook, so you could buy a MacBook and get a free iPod nano (in addition to your student discount).

Yeah, I love Apple too.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
wald023

2006-03-13, 19:57

What is this Student Union iPod Nano deal your speaking of? -jesse
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-13, 22:17

For the last few years Apple has offered a "Student Union" iPod deal. If you're a student and you buy through the education store you're eligible to receive a discount of $179 (or the price of a student discount Nano) so it ends up that you can get a free Nano or a discounted full size iPod.

Come waste your time with me
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-03-14, 02:04

Definitely hold on. It's very likely that the MacBook will be introduced at an Apple Event in two weeks, and they'll be ready if not immediately, within weeks. Apple needs lots of MacBooks to available in the critical educational buying season, which is well before fall.

And just speculation here, but I also highly suspect there will be a low-end MacBook priced at $999.
wald023

2006-03-14, 18:08

Now the only thing I am wondering, after the free iPod and new Macbook, why I shouldn't switch now? Hmmm... -jesse