User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

apple retail store charging more for RAM than online store

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
apple retail store charging more for RAM than online store
Jubcoo

2006-06-06, 14:36

I was wondering if anyone can confirm a similar experience to the one I had at the Lyndhurst, Ohio retail branch. I went in to purchase a 2.0 Macbook with the ram doubled to 1GB. I was told that the store would charge 150 to do the upgrade, instead of the 45 online, because they had to replace both sticks of ram.

I assumed that their prices are the same regardless of buying it online at apple.com or in-store? Am I mistaken?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-06, 15:07

Both those prices are wrong. The online store charges $100 to upgrade from 512 MB to 1 GB, and that upgrade involves removing both 256 MB modules and replacing them with a pair of 512 MB modules. The store should not be charging more - the procedure is the same whether you buy from the retail store or the online store, and I would suggest speaking with the store's manager or at least showing the salesperson the page on the online store in order to get the price issue worked out.

That said, 512 MB of RAM these days can be bought for around $50. Alternatively, look at it this way - for the $100 you might spend on upgrading from 512 MB to 1 GB, you could instead buy a single 1 GB module to replace one of your 256 MB modules, giving you 1.25 GB for the same price Apple charges to move to 1.0 GB. It's very easy to replace the RAM in a MacBook, so that's what I would suggest. $100 is borderline, but $150 is way too much.
leachboy

2006-06-06, 16:20

I talked to a salesman at the Atlanta store last week, and here is what he told me. It is cheaper to do the upgrade online because you only get the new RAM. If you buy the machine in the Apple store and then have them upgrade the RAM, you not only get the 1GB of installed RAM, but also the RAM that was originally in the machine.