User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

New Powerbooks keyboard covers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Powerbooks keyboard covers
nathanaaron02

2005-02-04, 16:42

I was just noticing an ad on the Applenova forums page that stated "Keep your Powerbook keyboard and trackpad from putting marks on your screen" by purchasing this cover for your keypad/trackpad.

Is this REALLY a big deal? Is this a good idea? How in the world would it mark up your screen? It doesn't move? I realize when you close the laptop they touch, but... thoughts?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-04, 16:46

Huh? Where did you see this? We don't have any ads on AppleNova.

As for the item in question, these pads were only necessary for the old titanium PowerBooks because when closed the screen actually pressed against the keyboard. Over time, the dirt and oil residues that your fingers leave on the keys would transfer to the screen and leave marks.

The current aluminum PowerBooks have a thin gap so this isn't a problem any more.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Track_40

2005-02-04, 16:48

I bought one for my new (as yet unarrived) PB15.
It was cheap - like $20.

I guess the oils from your finger tips stay on the keyboard, and eventually transfer the imprint of they keys onto the screen. Since the sceen isn't recessed (like an IBM Thinkpad), the keys actually touch the screen when it's closed.

edit: sorry, Brad responded just before I did.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-04, 16:52

Track_40, you may have just wasted your money. It's a good thing that it was cheap. As I mentioned above, this isn't a problem with the current line of PowerBooks. My 12" PB has never once shown a trace from the keyboard.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-04, 16:55

Not a "problem", but it is still convenient to have one for cleaning the screen from time to time... This thread has a link or two to some good ones.

It is also worthwhile to note that ANY device that you buy to do this is going to be overpriced. Just hop on over to any tailor and buy a nice small patch of suitable material. Even the most fancy stuff shouldn't cost more then $5 for a square foot.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-04, 16:57

I would consider grabbing one of these with my next PowerBook purchase.

Keep the gribblies out. That means nacho crumbs for me, and ejaculate for most of the teenage members here.
nathanaaron02

2005-02-04, 16:58

Thanks Brad! I know, I started looking for it again, and was like "Where did the ads go!?!?" It must have been on the ThinkSecret site, which is how I jump over to here. Thanks!

"...and ejaculate for most of the teenage members here." - Hey, don't discriminate! Man, this had me laughing!
Track_40

2005-02-04, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Track_40, you may have just wasted your money. It's a good thing that it was cheap. As I mentioned above, this isn't a problem with the current line of PowerBooks. My 12" PB has never once shown a trace from the keyboard.
If $20 winds up being a waste for it's intended purpose, so be it. After spending almost $8000 on Apple hardware/software this past week, $20 is a fart in the wind.

At least I can use it to clean the screen with.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-02-04, 17:51

Speaking of which, is there some sort of transparency to protect a PowerBook screen (while maintaining a decent amount of brightness)?
nathanaaron02

2005-02-08, 14:01

At any rate, I was reading about how the "original" Powerbooks had the screen problems with oils from the keyboard, etc. making it onto the screen, causing marks. Were/are these marks permanent, or they can just be cleaned off; it's more a hassle than a permanent thing? I know this is apparently not a problem now, just curious...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-08, 14:02

It's just a hassle. Yes, they can be cleaned and they are not permanent.