Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: Contrast (February 2011)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Contrast (February 2011)
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-02-06, 05:48

After the last - very specific - subject which unfortunately seemed to put off some contenders, I've chosen a more generic one for this month's photo challenge:

Contrast

This means I want to see some interesting contrasts in your photo. The kind of contrast (or the combination) is up to you: It can be the classic light/dark contrast, but also color contrasts or even contrasting subjects (old / new, beauty and the beast, ...)

I think with this subject, there should be something for anyone, so there's no excuse to participate!

The rules are simple, no heavy duty editing, such as HDR. Due to the subject, this time black&white entries are allowed.

The photo must be taken by you, during the period in which the challenge is running. Entries will be accepted from today until the 5th of March at 12:00AM GMT.

For reference: Here are the subjects and results of the former challenges.

Some examples to get you starting:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-02-06, 21:52

Great theme. I like the allowance for black and white. I have an idea...
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-02-07, 20:40

I have an idea, too. I just need to borrow a camera.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-02-13, 00:09

The only thing I did to that shot is run the photo through instagram's filter. Not sure if that qualifies it for the contest but I really like the way it came out.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-02-13, 18:00

Nice. Mine was going to be a somewhat similar shot. I think that I will still do it and we can compare.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-02-20, 15:09

Shot today:

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2011-02-20 at 18:45. Reason: was too green.
arteggio

2011-02-20, 16:57

I've been meaning to participate for months. Wish the iMac one weren't so dull though.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-21, 12:38

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2011-02-22, 01:00

Okay, here are my pretty bland entries (as in, I didn't take them with this thread in mind, but they were taken in February).

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
arteggio

2011-02-22, 08:48

I like the waterfall and the hint of rainbow, Shadow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
This reminds me of one of my most favorite photos I've ever taken. Too bad I took it last July. The path in yours is a nice addition, too.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-02-24, 10:39

@arteggio and ShadowOfGed: Thanks for your entries! Could you please identify which one of your pictures is the official entry for the contest. Thanks!
arteggio

2011-02-24, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
@arteggio and ShadowOfGed: Thanks for your entries! Could you please identify which one of your pictures is the official entry for the contest. Thanks!
Ah, the first one with the iPhone.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-03-01, 23:38

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-03-05, 16:01

We got some great entries this month, it has been really hard to chose a winner.

In torifile's shot, I like the extreme contrast. The one part of the face looks like a highkey shot, although the rest is lowkey

arteggio emphasizes the screen by hiding the body of the phone in the shadows. The blue/yellow contrast of the buttons is a nice bonus

PB PM's entry is a classic back light shot. It reminded me of a similar picture which I took a while ago.

As ShadowOfGed didn't mention which of his three pictures was meant as contest entry, I take the last one: A beautiful scene with high contrast between the glare in the pool and the frame of dark trees. (Not to mention the contrast between the fast moving water and the static rocks...)

When I saw Chinneys photo, I first thought it was just a variant of torifiles idea, until I scrolled further down and saw the skull. Apart from the great use of the directed light to emphasize the subjects, I love this contrast between the beautiful young girl which is full of life and the skull as a reminder of the transientness of everything.

Finally Dorian Grays picture: Again, I had to look closer. First I just saw the innocent still life on the table until my eyes fell on the deadly weapon on the chair. It immediately changed the context and raises questions: What is going on here? Is the red stuff on the cup just lipstick or something else? ...

Winner: Dorian Gray
Runner Up: Chinney

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-03-05, 17:46

Thanks GSpotter, and congrats to Dorian.

I had fun taking my own picture. All three of our kids were involved: my eldest is the subject (and a good sport for doing it!) while the two younger ones held flashlights in our darkened family room to shine the light where I wanted it. I was very low tech affair: I could not even find my tripod, so I propped the camera on a ladder. I look forward to Dorian's subject for next month.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-03-05, 18:41

Congrats Dorian!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-05, 18:44

Yeah, that was fun. I only entered because I happened to have a pic that fit the theme but maybe this month I'll work at it. If I had to do it all over again, and stage it this time, I would have cleaned up the background some. On my iPhone, the background is dark enough that you can't even see the couch, etc., back there. I might take it into photoshop and see if I can get some of that out so I can print it.

Nice shots, all around.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-03-06, 06:22

I haven't taken photos for ages... well, have taken heaps of our girl, but none for the competitions.

So, was just poking my head in tonight to have a sticky beak and there are some great shots here.

Chinney - that is an awesome shot. Well done - I thought it really captured the theme of contrast superbly.

I also missed the weapon in DG's shot. That put it in a different light too. (sorry - couldn't help myself)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-03-06, 16:06

Hey Mac+, you should consider an entry for the next PCT! I know how busy it is to have a little one, but if you have a few minutes, add a shot. Just about anything goes for the purpose of the PCT: the emphasis is that no special equipment is required, other than a camera of any type and the requirement of having a bit of fun with it. No photo manipulation skills are required (and any heavy manipulation is in fact very much discouraged). That goes for any other Novians who have considered entering and have been holding back - it would be nice to see more entries.

Also, Mac+, whether or not you enter on the PCT, share a few shots of the little one in a general photo sharing threads (the Colour or B&W one). I'd like to see that.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2011-03-06 at 16:19.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-03-06, 19:30

Hey, thanks GSpotter!

I thought Chinney might have sewn it up with his shot, which could hardly have contained more contrast either graphically or figuratively. It certainly took more effort than mine did, because I stumbled across my scene ready-made in one of Paris' outrageously over-the-top department store windows.

I'll start a new thread immediately. I hope you enter, torifile: I liked your shot here! And I certainly expect Mac+ to poke his head in again, preferably with a competitive entry.