User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

White or dark meat?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: White meat or dark meat?
White meat 16 53.33%
Dark meat 13 43.33%
I'm a vegetarian 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

White or dark meat?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 00:20

Now that Thanksgiving is over and all of the dead birds have been eaten, which part is better? Personally, I'd go with dark meat, since it tastes better (to me, at least).
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-26, 00:37

Well, I voted for white meat, since that's what I eat the most of, but I really can't eat it alone. I always need a bit of dark meat or gravy to spice (and juice) things up a bit. But dark meat by itself is a bit too slimy for my tastes. White meat cooked well (not as in well-done vs. rare) is a wonderful thing.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-26, 01:00

Either as long as it's pink in the middle.
Purgatos

2004-11-26, 02:07

The veggie one.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 10:22

I mostly eat low-fat beef mincemeat and some chicken breasts now and then, so I vote dark meat. Should eat more fish, but I don't know how to cook it. I'm guessing I eat around 300gr meat a day in average.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-26, 10:33

Dark meat done right.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 11:28

Overall, I prefer the dark meat: it is generally moister and more flavourful. If the turkey is done correctly, the white meat can be great as well – but it is hard to fully cook the whole turkey and not overcook the white meat. And even when the white and dark are each cooked to perfection, I still prefer the dark.

Incidentally, comments in this thread seem to have answered, indirectly, a burning question I posted last year on AN, but to which nobody responded. When do Americans cook and eat the turkey? As far as I can see, your Thanksgiving is, effectively, a four-day holiday, weekend included. I wondered if the turkey is generally cooked and eaten on the Thursday or whether some (or most) wait until Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Comments here seem to indicate that it is the Thursday

By way of comparison, Thanksgiving in Canada is a three day weekend (i.e., with Monday off) in early October, but I have never seen consensus here on whether the bird should be eaten on Sunday dinner or Monday dinner. Our family has usually had the big dinner on the Sunday.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-26, 14:23

Oh, it's ALWAYS Thursday noon. I'm sure a few folks eat turkey for dinner, but really, I would venture to guess that the turkey eating begins at noon for a great majority of Americans. But, it doesn't end there. You see, there's always leftovers, so we're eating turkey sandwiches for the rest of the weekend.

Oh, and today, EVERYBODY goes shopping. Tomorrow too, but especially today.

Whee! American consumerific culture!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 14:42

Noon? Now that I had not heard. That would not suit me at all: too early in the day.

I lived in the U.S. as a young boy, but I have no recollection of what the Thanksgiving traditions were there. Actually, if memory serves, my parents tried to maintain the Canadian Thanksgiving tradition there and we would celebrate in October with one or more of the other Canadian families living on that USAF base.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-26, 15:23

Like em both equally but when its tender, juicy and delicious I go for the white meat generally. But the question is moot as Jesse Jackson used to say, because the best part of a turkey is the nicely browned, crispy skin. Mmmm. Fat.

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-26, 15:31

I couldn't even tell you what dark turkey meat tastes like. I haven't had it in, uh, forever.

White meat. Lots of salt. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 18:10

Heathen. White meat needs pepper.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 19:08

Doesn't matter to me really, but I'd take white over dark if I had to chose.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-26, 19:16

Gah. Both suck, I like ham.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-26, 20:41

Dark is too fatty, I like the white.