Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

NaNoDrawMo anyone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
NaNoDrawMo anyone?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-09, 22:42

That whole NaNoWriMo thing isn't for me. Writing? Blah. Novembeard is one thing, but I just remembered yesterday that there's also a drawing "challenge" for November to produce 50 drawings. Sounds simple, right?

http://nanodrawmo.org/

Quote:
Inspired by National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), NaNoDrawMo is a personal challenge to push would-be artists beyond the bounds of comfortable "when I have time" practice for one month and see what happens.

Loosely defined goals are for each participant to produce 50 individual works/drawings between Nov 1 and Nov 30. Extra points if they work together to tell a story or otherwise share an overall theme (people you know, people you saw on the bus, etc).

You can always do more than 50 if you've got it in you! That's just the minimum everyone should be shooting for.

You do not have to be good. There is no quality requirement. The idea is to force yourself to practice by setting a high quantity goal. Also, itโ€™s not a competition (except with yourself). Any medium is OK, as long as you can get it onto Flickr somehow.
Anyone else up for it? It's a little more involved than beard-growing, but it's probably less time-consuming and stressful than cranking out a 50,000-word novel.

I haven't just drawn in years... the last time I remember just sketching stuff with a pencil was my sophomore year in college between classes. So, yesterday evening and this evening I sat down with some blank typing paper and a freshly sharpened #2 HB pencil to try to dump some ideas. I'm way behind and need to draw several every day to meet the 50-drawing count. Here's what I've made so far in order.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-09, 22:51

I really like your drawing of the pigeon.
Unch

2009-11-10, 04:27

Loving the Master Sword.

Speaking of drawing and Nintendo, I came across a cool video of Miyamoto drawing Mario.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2009-11-10, 07:42

As soon as I saw the tree I thought to myself that is so Brad. I like that one a lot.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-11-10, 08:21

Love the bird Good luck with the challenge!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-10, 09:08

So, I take it I'm the only one doing this, then?

Thanks for the comments, though. Here are a couple more I drew after I posted last night.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-10, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
As soon as I saw the tree I thought to myself that is so Brad.
Because it's barren and crooked?
ronmexico

2009-11-10, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You still talking about the tree?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-10, 23:45

I'm such a bad draw-er. Which totally sucks, because I want to give my novel to my BFF Tay for her birthday, and I've written illustrations into it but I have no way to draw them.

I can draw...some things. But not fairy tale illustrations.

I'm digging the Cloud, though. ^_^

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 01:00

Two more tonight... I couldn't find any real inspiration and I just ended up trying to make a spaceship thing for the longest time.

Oh, and the real Apple tablet (CONFIRMED!!!1!).

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I'm such a bad draw-er.
Well, much like NaNoWriMo, the idea here (for me, at least) is to force yourself to practice so hopefully by the end you'll be a little better. I've already discovered one of my own drawing flaws thanks to the past couple of days: I tend to skew all of my drawings unintentionally and have a hard time keeping things squared up straight. So, that's something I'm now going to be actively trying to counter.

Quote:
Which totally sucks, because I want to give my novel to my BFF Tay for her birthday, and I've written illustrations into it but I have no way to draw them.
Maybe you should collaborate with an illustrator for it? I'm sure someone here might offer a few sketches pro bono.

Quote:
I'm digging the Cloud, though. ^_^
And I suspect I'll be trying a few more "kawaii" toons later too.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-11, 01:29

Quote:
Well, much like NaNoWriMo, the idea here (for me, at least) is to force yourself to practice so hopefully by the end you'll be a little better. I've already discovered one of my own drawing flaws thanks to the past couple of days: I tend to skew all of my drawings unintentionally and have a hard time keeping things squared up straight. So, that's something I'm now going to be actively trying to counter.
I can draw very straight lines, but nothing else. Just kidding - but due to my visual communications/industrial design focus, I can draw products, symbols, and especially wordmarks very well. But people? Ack. Unfortunately, my novel is about characters, not ultra-slim game handhelds or sexy cubic home servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Maybe you should collaborate with an illustrator for it? I'm sure someone here might offer a few sketches pro bono.
Oh, I've been trying to find an illustrator. I've been lurking around my campus art gallery but it's all abstract stuff. There's nothing wrong with that but there's literally nothing that's even the slightest bit representational and it all looks like, well, homework. So I'm a little discouraged.

If anyone here is a character artist or all-around good draw-er, feel free to PM me and we can chat it up. The work calls for thirteen full-page illustrations (including one two-page spread) but considering I will be producing a limited edition of one sketches would be fine, even preferable, for the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
And I suspect I'll be trying a few more "kawaii" toons later too.
Yay! ^_^

I've been doing NaNoSmiMo, in which the object is to make one new smiley or emoticon per day. Here, it's the dude from Pikmin: o-(:o)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mac+
9" monochrome

2009-11-11, 07:18

Quote:
No, it's your ability to see and understand the "whole" object; the visible and structural elements - and represent them truthfully in a clean and logical manner. I would never have thought of drawing a tree and exposing the root system like that. You did - elegantly too I'd add. It seemed very you.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
No, it's your ability to see and understand the "whole" object; the visible and structural elements - and represent them truthfully in a clean and logical manner. I would never have thought of drawing a tree and exposing the root system like that. You did - elegantly too I'd add. It seemed very you.
Well... thanks, really!

Tonight's sketches:

I searched for images of various pieces of armor and designed this guy's suit based on a few different ones. I had wanted to put a sword in his hands (thus the pose) but after I finished the armor, I just couldn't bear to risk ruining the picture with my sloppy/crooked freehand lines on the sword.

Burnination!

Noel

2009-11-11, 22:45

Quote:
Looks like he's cracking his knuckles in preparation to kick some serious ass. Whoa.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2009-11-12, 18:36

I will try and do this, as well.

I just started a sketchbook project the other week. It has been a few months in the making. The basic idea is that I sent three almost blank (I filled the first page) sketchbooks and a set of rules to three separate friends. After they have contributed they will send the book on to a friend, etc., until it is filled. At which point it will hopefully be sent back to me.
I created one more sketchbook and bring that around with me. I randomly draw in it or have friends draw in it. For those that can't draw I let them paste, staple, write, insert, or do almost anything they would like within reason.

This was my first page in book two:

Last edited by Artap99 : 2009-11-12 at 18:40. Reason: Fixed contrast
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-13, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99 View Post
Hurrah!

Quote:
I just started a sketchbook project the other week. It has been a few months in the making. The basic idea is that I sent three almost blank (I filled the first page) sketchbooks and a set of rules to three separate friends. After they have contributed they will send the book on to a friend, etc., until it is filled. At which point it will hopefully be sent back to me.
That's a neat idea. Are your friends also pretty talented with drawing/sketching? Any idea what kind of art they might fill your books with?

Quote:
Awww. What an unfortunate girl.

Cute style, though.

I was aiming to practice some cute characters tonight. My originality quotient in that area is pretty low; so, I'm doing some trial runs of some well-known characters to get a feel for what makes them tick.

Unch

2009-11-13, 08:31

While I'm not participating in the NaNoDrawMo, I have oddly started drawing a bit more again after a few years. The last thing I did a few days ago was this image for the Halloween thread:

I've now purchased a little A5 sketch book and a couple of mechanical pencils to get back into the swing of things. I forgot how much I missed it, but it's also frustrating how being out of practice really screws things up.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2009-11-13, 18:56

Quote:
I was aiming to practice some cute characters tonight. My originality quotient in that area is pretty low; so, I'm doing some trial runs of some well-known characters to get a feel for what makes them tick.
I love the Pikmin.

Most of my best friends went to art schools. A lot of my other friends (from work) are storyboard artists, set painters, costume designers, animators, and so on and so forth. It should be a really interesting blend of styles by the end.
I am actually most interested in the contributions of people that don't have artistic talent. They are usually my favorites. Kind of like children's drawings.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-13, 19:07

I love, love, love, love the moogles!

And the Pikachu.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-13, 20:50

Quote:
I am actually most interested in the contributions of people that don't have artistic talent. They are usually my favorites. Kind of like children's drawings.
Therein lies my problem: I seem to have artistic talent in recreating things, but not in creating new things. Trogdor? Pikachu? Show me a picture or two and I can draw it spot-on. But ask me to draw an original cute cartoon character (for example) and I go completely blank. If I scrape out a new idea, it ends up looking not like a child's drawing, but just weird, and generally not in a good way.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 22:06

Quote:

This was my first page in book two:

Brilliant!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-11-13, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
You realize I am going to totally have to skip doing my paper in order to write this now, right? RIGHT?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-16, 20:40

Took a few days break from drawing over the weekend. Now I'm getting sick and I think my drawings are beginning to reflect that...

That fucking sun is brutal.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-16, 20:49

That is a very mean sun.

I like the virus though. Get well soon!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-11-16, 21:00

if i didn't need to be typing (which I am not) 20 hours/day... i would try to revive my slightly more surrealistic and demented style... demented in the sense that the images of faces don't look right, but aren't menacing per se...
synotic

2009-11-17, 19:40

Quote:
Therein lies my problem: I seem to have artistic talent in recreating things, but not in creating new things. Trogdor? Pikachu? Show me a picture or two and I can draw it spot-on. But ask me to draw an original cute cartoon character (for example) and I go completely blank. If I scrape out a new idea, it ends up looking not like a child's drawing, but just weird, and generally not in a good way.
That's one of the bad parts about growing up. It's usually not a skill problem, but rather a personal, mental block. It's hard to stop thinking sometimes, but sometimes it's important.