User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 1 of 14 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 01:52

As the title says, we are now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

With two small exceptions: I've disabled the Forestry and Extra Bees mods. I wasn't able to completely reproduce the horrible laggy issues that I experienced last weekend when I was testing the server, but I did find that these mods in particular added an extra bit of noticeable lag when navigating the world. Fortunately, it looks like the Feed the Beast client gracefully handles when the server has disabled mods that the client still has installed. So, it looks like you shouldn't have to do anything to the modpacks on your systems to join the server once you get FTB working.

So, getting started with Feed the Beast!

It's pretty easy. Go here and hit the "Download jar" link:

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/#download_wrapper

Once you've downloaded it and put it somewhere for safe keeping, fire up the Terminal app, and type:

Code:
nohup java -jar
Add a space after the word "jar", and then drag and drop the jar file from wherever you put it into the Terminal window. It should autocomplete the full path to the file. On my system, it looks like this:

Code:
nohup java -jar /Users/bradsmith/Desktop/Minecraft/FTB-Client/FTB_Launcher.jar
Then punch enter and the launcher should start up! You can then safely close/quit the Terminal if you don't want to look at it.

I think the first time you open it (it's been a while since I first did this), the launcher asks you where it should put its files. I let it put the files in the folder where I keep the jar file. You can change this later from the Options tab (the "Install folder" option).

Now, from the launcher screen:

• Click the Modpacks tab at the top.
• Select the "Direwolf20 Pack (v5.0.1) Minecraft Version 1.4.7" from the modpack list in the left panel.
• Choose "Create Profile" from the menu next to the Launch button.
• Enter your Minecraft username and password and give the profile a name.
• Be sure that the profile you created is selected in that menu.
• Click Launch!

The next time you start up the launcher (using the "nohup java -jar ..." Terminal command), you can go straight to the Launch button. The launcher should close, and then it should look and behave largely like the Minecraft you know and love. You'll need to add "mc.applenova.com" back to your multiplayer server list because each modpack keeps its own settings.

I'm too tired now to stick around to play tonight, but I'll be around over the weekend. If you have questions or issues, please post them here and we'll work them out!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 02:02

Also, do you remember the old "Optifine" mod that boosted frame-rate performance of Minecraft and added a few extra display options? The Tekkit Classic launcher included it by default, but FTB does not. The developer of Optifine has actually asked that modpack distributors not include his work. No worries! You can still get Optifine, and you can get it to work with the FTB launcher pretty easily.

Download the latest version of Optifine from this thread:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...and-much-more/

Quit Minecraft if it's running, and restart the FTB launcher. When the modpack screen is visible, select Direwolf20 (as usual), and click the "Edit Mod Pack" button. Click the JarMods tab, and click the "Add Mod" button on the bottom right. Select the zip file you downloaded, and it should appear in the "Enabled Mods" list like this:

Adding a mod this way copies the zip file into the mod's own directory. So, you can trash the zip you downloaded.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2013-02-16, 02:03

Works so far [holy shit terminal ] but still scanning for LAN Worlds....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 02:06

It'll scan forever for LAN worlds. That's scanning for servers on your local area network (ie. other computers in your house). You want to add the AN server and connect to it like this:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 02:07

Also, if you guys want it, I could write a small wrapper app later so you don't have to dive into the Terminal.
¡Damned!

2013-02-16, 02:08

Ah crap. Right. What's the address again?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Ah crap. Right. What's the address again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You'll need to add "mc.applenova.com" back to your multiplayer server list because each modpack keeps its own settings.
¡Damned!

2013-02-16, 02:13

Ha! I got to "• Click Launch!" and fuckered off.

Thanks.
¡Damned!

2013-02-16, 02:17

Failed to login: Bad login (?)

Whitelist me Brad!
gerlocian

2013-02-16, 02:22

Woohoo!
Can't wait to start playing with Mystcraft and the new machines ... tomorrow ...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-02-16, 02:28

Quote:
Failed to login: Bad login (?)

Whitelist me Brad!
Looks like you're in the whitelist. Double-check that you used the right login/password on the launcher in that profile selection?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-02-16, 03:57

I've started a tiny little community farm near the spawn. It has wheat, flax, and melon. No buildings or anything of that sort (yet).

EDIT: The small little thing for anyone's use has Corn, Henequen (slow way to make string), Flax, Wheat, Sugar Cane, and Melon. I have a basic house out a little bit in a nice area not too far from spawn, assuming spawn will become the main town for a little while.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Last edited by RowdyScot : 2013-02-16 at 05:03.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-16, 10:31

Which version of Optifine would you guys run on a MBP with a 2.3Ghz i7?

My first instinct is to try the LIGHT version, but I guess I'll try this one first:

OptiFine HD C3 Standard for Minecraft 1.4.6 and 1.4.7

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
gerlocian

2013-02-16, 10:37

Grey, Elysium and I already found you a desert biome:
x:-63
y:65
z:-79
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-02-16, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerlocian View Post
Grey, Elysium and I already found you a desert biome:
x:-63
y:65
z:-79
If you play nice, I'll tell you where there is a desert village, desert temple, volcano, oil, and snow forest all within sight of each other in that desert.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2013-02-16, 12:02

Drew, use C3. Other versions have caused some glitches in some of the mods.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-16, 12:49

Thanks RS, that's what I used.

I've gone WEST of town, past the village that's there, and am currently staked out on a flat stone field.

I can't seem to get the texture packs to load anything different, and I'm not feeling like Optifine is actually "taking".

Enough of this for me for now.

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-16, 16:25

BTW, the easy way to make a Terminal command an icon is to open Automator and select to make an application. Then choose Run Shell Script. Then drag the icon to the area in the right. Paste in the command you issue via Terminal:
nohup java -jar /your/path/to/FTB_Launcher.jar

Then save to a location of your choice. You can then make it a Dock icon by dragging it to your dock.

Also, if you'd like to change the icon you can do that by showing the new app's info and pasting an icon image over the Automator default. I just used a basic one that is from the site. You can download it here if you want.

ftb.icns

Here's how this one looks in my dock:

I got the original icon I used from here: http://feed-the-beast.com/images/ftb.png

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-02-16, 16:59

world's shittest internet connection. that's oxford uni for ya..
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-16, 17:37

Brad, just noticed you might want to update the mc.applenova.com home page to reflect the new details. However, I think I moved them to my NAS since I needed port 80 traffic there. If you update them and they don't show, let me know and I'll rsync them to my NAS.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-02-16, 21:03

Is there a way to quickly see who's online, still? Like /who or whatever?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-16, 21:28

The Tab key is the default however I remap mine to be "p" instead. When you get in the game, hold the key down for the list.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2013-02-16, 21:29

Thanks!
¡Damned!

2013-02-17, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
If you play nice, I'll tell you where there is a desert village, desert temple, volcano, oil, and snow forest all within sight of each other in that desert.

Hopefully I'll be able to get on later tonight. I have a bunch of work I need to finish up today before the week hits.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2013-02-18, 00:30

Quote:

Hopefully I'll be able to get on later tonight. I have a bunch of work I need to finish up today before the week hits.
Figured that was the case when you went MIA this weekend. Hopefully you get on soon as people are starving to death and sitting in the dark because the public farms haven't been built yet. ;p

And that spot I was talking about. Just go 1000m due north of spawn. Can't miss it.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Bonn89

2013-02-18, 08:49

Really cool to see you guys running FTB! I miss playing with you guys on the old server. I'd love to join, but it's a shame Forestry and Bees where causing lag, because I really like messing around with them.

Also, if anyone still uses Brad's Painterly custom, you might want to check this out: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thre...don-pack.3338/
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-18, 09:02

Speaking of custom texture packs, I tried running one of the other ones they had and couldn't get it to work. Has anybody else done this, and if so, what's the trick?

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-02-18, 18:44

None of Brad's old texture packs work on this server. You have to have one that FTB ready. Brad will update his when he is able to take the time to do so. You can use the default or try ones from FTB's site like Bonn89 pointed out.

¡Damned!

2013-02-18, 19:26

So I have a little time tonight and found an area a little East of spawn that works for the treefarm. Not too far away, and it already has a bunch of caverns that'll make the dig a little easier. Speaking of.. are there a shit-ton of caves in this new world or what? They seem to be everywhere.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-02-18, 21:24

Turtle I'm just trying to get one of the OTHER texture packs to run. Any directions on that?