AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.13 - Update Aquatic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.13 - Update Aquatic
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 19:14

Ooohh… I haven't looked into water temperatures yet. I seem to recall reading that temperatures are stored in a separate layer, kind of like biomes. I'll have to investigate!

FWIW, I have compiled a local build of minutor from their in-development 1.13 source code since they don't have an official release. Let my zip up my latest build of the Mac app if you want to take it for a spin…

[moments later]

Here you go! I haven't tested this on any system beside my own, but hopefully it "just works".

[more moments later]

edit: NOPE! I was wrong, which in this case is good. Temperature-specific oceans got whole-new biome IDs, which makes this super easy to support!
Code:
warm_ocean = 44 lukewarm_ocean = 45 cold_ocean = 46 deep_warm_ocean = 47 deep_lukewarm_ocean = 48 deep_cold_ocean = 49 deep_frozen_ocean = 50
edit2: And furthermore, here are the hex color codes I'm using for those biomes:
Code:
44: "0000ac", 45: "000090", 46: "202070", 47: "000050", 48: "000040", 49: "202038", 50: "404090",

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 19:34

I thought for sure that temp would be sub-biomes within just 'ocean' since there's always some temperature transition between the extremes (warm/frozen) and whatever shore they butt up against. Very interesting!

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Here you go! I haven't tested this on any system beside my own, but hopefully it "just works".
I'm still running Sierra because reasons, but it doesn't open up for me.

Code:
Check with the developer to make sure minutor works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS.

Not that I have any need to run it other than for fun.
¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 20:32

Quote:
Temperature-specific oceans got whole-new biome IDs, which makes this super easy to support!
Code:
warm_ocean = 44 lukewarm_ocean = 45 cold_ocean = 46 deep_warm_ocean = 47 deep_lukewarm_ocean = 48 deep_cold_ocean = 49 deep_frozen_ocean = 50
edit2: And furthermore, here are the hex color codes I'm using for those biomes:
Code:
44: "0000ac", 45: "000090", 46: "202070", 47: "000050", 48: "000040", 49: "202038", 50: "404090",
If you'd give me a full-rez color map for that area and an overhead for reference I would love to color in the areas I'm talking about.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm still running Sierra because reasons, but it doesn't open up for me.
I'm actually also still running Sierra "because reasons" on the machine where I built the app, but there are probably some linked libs or something that didn't get bundled in. Oh well! I might fiddle with that again some time later...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 21:25

Quote:
If you'd give me a full-rez color map for that area and an overhead for reference I would love to color in the areas I'm talking about.
If you meant the northern region you highlighted, here ya go!

block detail from minutor:

exported biomes from my app:

¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 21:33

I meant the chunk around 'topia, although those give a good reference for how far the transition between temperatures are! They're really not organic looking like the other biomes. !

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 21:37

Oh my… after fixing a few more unexpected issues in my code that cropped up only when processing the spawn chunk region, I have achieved something I can't even remember how long I've wanted:

¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 21:42

That's insane. How do you take an object/build and then transfer that to a color map? Do you have to redraw it somehow? I mean, I get how to do it, but that pink looks pretty pixel-specific to just be a redraw.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 21:45

Quote:
I meant the chunk around 'topia, although those give a good reference for how far the transition between temperatures are! They're really not organic looking like the other biomes. !
Oh, 13topia! Gotcha… 

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 21:49

Quote:
That's insane. How do you take an object/build and then transfer that to a color map? Do you have to redraw it somehow? I mean, I get how to do it, but that pink looks pretty pixel-specific to just be a redraw.
You could say that I redrew the pixels by hand… but I may have cheated a little bit using Photoshop, some careful magic wand-ing, and layers.

It helps that I had the pixel-perfect overhead shots from minutor for reference.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 22:01

By the way, if you want a full list of the hex color codes I'm using, giving you a link to the source code is probably the easiest way...

https://gitlab.com/infinitewarp/mcat...tools/biome.py

That big list starting with "colors_hex = {" is my color map. Each line starts with the biome ID and is followed by the hex code that I'm using.

If you want a reference for the biome IDs, you can dig it out of the Minecraft wiki or see the section starting with "class BiomeType(Enum):" in this other file:

https://gitlab.com/infinitewarp/mcat...definitions.py

¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 22:23

How about this?:

Man, if this works I could not be happier. I've been in my underwater base for so long... it would be so nice to have colorful fish outside my windows.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2018-12-10 at 22:43.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-10, 23:21

That seems perfectly doable!

If you haven't already (although I shouldn't doubt that you have!), you should take a look at the wiki to see which fish spawn in which biomes: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Biome#Aquatic_biomes

If you want to squiggle in some tendrils of cold oceans along with the big swath of warm, just reference the aforementioned linked color codes. Also, I haven't checked that file yet, but just to be safe: make sure any of your drawing to the biomes is done in an image editor with anti-aliasing OFF. The colors need to be exact, and the blending of tools like Photoshop's "paintbrush" would introduce a bunch of invalid color codes.

FWIW, I still haven't actually uploaded any of my modified region files to the server yet. I continue running through a bunch of paranoid testing locally for now. I suspect that by the time this weekend rolls around I should have worked up enough confidence to go big.

¡Damned!

2018-12-10, 23:33

Yep, drew my weirdness with no anti-aliasing. Color-picked hex. etc.

Last edited by 709 : 2018-12-11 at 11:18.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 11:25

omg get hype

Code:
(mcatools) [bsmith@anmc7 mcatools]$ python -m mcatools export-biome /opt/minecraft/current/world/region/r.0.0.mca /tmp/0.0.png Loading region data from: /opt/minecraft/current/world/region/r.0.0.mca extracting region data: 100%|██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 1024/1024 [00:01<00:00, 661.14it/s] coloring biome: 100%|██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████| 262144/262144 [00:00<00:00, 1235223.12it/s] Biome data saved to: /tmp/0.0.png (mcatools) [bsmith@anmc7 mcatools]$ imgur-uploader /tmp/0.0.png Uploading file /tmp/0.0.png File uploaded - see your image at https://i.imgur.com/qhxXnkH.png
That's me running my app directly on turtle's Minecraft server. I'm just extracting biomes here, not modifying them, but that's a good enough indication that…

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-11, 11:54

That is awesome Brad! Nice to see this really coming together. Let me know if you need more resources for any reason. We should be good but it depends on what you run on the VM. Currently there are 2 cores and 4GB of RAM. I have plenty of headway in both areas right now without the map server building.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-11, 13:42

Mind saying all that in Engrish?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
That is awesome Brad! Nice to see this really coming together. Let me know if you need more resources for any reason. We should be good but it depends on what you run on the VM. Currently there are 2 cores and 4GB of RAM. I have plenty of headway in both areas right now without the map server building.
Thanks!

I just had to do three "minor" things to that VM:
Code:
sudo yum install python36 sudo yum install git sudo pip install pipenv
The code I've written is all in Python, but it pulls in a bunch of pypi dependencies. So, I also installed pipenv to manage those dependencies in a local virtual environment (in my home directory) so it doesn't pollute up the system with crap that nothing else needs. I installed git just because all my stuff is in git repos, and it's so much easier to "git pull" if I make changes instead of downloading and exploding tarballs. Happy to show you how any of it works if you're ever interested.

Thankfully, my code seems to be pretty light in terms of resource demands. It only ever looks at one region at a time (including its constituent 1024 "16x16" chunks), and although it does have to parse and load all of the region's data and chunks' data into memory when working on it, we're probably talking on the order of tens of megabytes, maybe a hundred for a region that's packed to the gills with stuff... but nothing too crazy. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually profiled this, but running the commands to export or import biome data on a region takes ~20 seconds, and that's fast enough for me that I haven't really put any thought into profiling.)

So, I think we should be doing plenty well on the resources front!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Mind saying all that in Engrish?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-11, 14:33

Not sure what that feller is doing, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal outside of Colorado.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 16:50

Now that I know this code can work on the server (saving me from the lengthy process of downloading, processing, and uploading the files), I’ve really got the itch to try it out “for realsies”, but I’d like to do it when someone else is around with lots of interesting builds to spot-check that nothing goes sideways when I do it. Do you guys know when you might next be around for a couple hours on the server? I can make myself free pretty much any evening now through this weekend.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-11, 17:20

Wait, are you organizing a party?

I can do Wed pm. Can't get the kid on, tho. It's finals week!
¡Damned!

2018-12-11, 17:56

I can do tomorrow after work as well. The rest of the week is a no-go for me.

I'll be on later tonight though. Since arteggio is newly camped in the chunk north of me I've taken the opportunity to sculpt the chunk edges near the ocean. Always bothered me but I never did anything since a wipe/regen was always looming. Now I'm smoothing shit out and extremely happy about it.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2018-12-11 at 18:08.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 18:04

Tomorrow evening is perfect! I will try to contain my excitement until then.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-11, 18:07

I can be on 6:30-ish MST. May be on randomly earlier.
arteggio

2018-12-11, 19:56

Quote:
Since arteggio is newly camped in the chunk north of me I've taken the opportunity to sculpt the chunk edges near the ocean. Always bothered me but I never did anything since a wipe/regen was always looming. Now I'm smoothing shit out and extremely happy about it.

Quote:
Tomorrow evening is perfect! I will try to contain my excitement until then.
I can likely pop in tomorrow evening too! I plotted myself on a mountain with snow, but there are some rainy areas right nearby. I'd love to make them all snow!

PS: Can the Community Exchange get a replenishment of stone walls?

Last edited by arteggio : 2018-12-11 at 20:59.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-11, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I can likely pop in tomorrow evening too! I plotted myself on a mountain with snow, but there are some rainy areas right nearby. I'd love to make them all snow!
Ooooh, do you have a sense of where this mountain is? Is it the same island strip west of the castle, or somewhere else?

I just uploaded to Imgur a much higher quality image of most of our world here, based on my backup download from 2018-12-04:
https://i.imgur.com/TRPpoKJ.jpg

If you can find your mountaintop home and circle an area you'd like to see with more snow, I would gladly doodle in some biome changes for you. If it's farther north or east than that image covers, try to find it on the lower-resolution image here: https://i.imgur.com/tr5oU1s.jpg

You get a biome! You get a biome! Everybody look under your seat because you're getting a brand new biiiooooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
PS: Can the Community Exchange get a replenishment of stone walls?
Can do!
edit: Wait... which type of stone exactly? Classic "plain" stone? The new "smooth stone" variant? Stone bricks?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 00:10

I think I have my biome update plans all laid out... here's a before/after preview of the regions I'll change:

One of my motivations is to simplify and replace the biome mess that is the swamp on which Bradtropolis was built. It was a neat idea at first since it provided big flat open spaces to grow, bit those sickly green-brown colors have been grating on my nerves for quite a while. You can't see it here, but the new river biomes I added to make the new swamp area's border actually coincide with waterways that already exist there. So, hopefully it looks natural in practice.

Oh… and if anyone is wondering about these pink areas… those are "mooshroom fields" (formerly "mooshroom island", I think) which are especially handy for certain creative spots since they forbid hostile mobs from spawning, even in complete darkness.

709: I did some biome cleanup around the museum. Is this okay? Would you have anything else in mind?

Also, it's not too late for anyone to make some requests, especially if they're in the regions I'm already touching here!

arteggio

2018-12-12, 09:15

Quote:
If you can find your mountaintop home and circle an area you'd like to see with more snow, I would gladly doodle in some biome changes for you.
This one's far north! I can't find my structure exactly (not sure it's in this map version as it's so new?) but it's one of those two mountains with lava, within this vague red boundary. Please add snow to that whole region within the vague red area!

EDIT 2: Upon exploration, the snow needn't go all the way south to the ocean. 709 has already planted some flowers there. Maybe it can curve around the southern edge of that exposed stone.

Quote:
edit: Wait... which type of stone exactly? Classic "plain" stone? The new "smooth stone" variant? Stone bricks?
I can't believe I hadn't looked the walls up before! I was meaning cobblestone walls because that's what I was using, but now that I know there are stone brick walls, I need to replace everything with that. But also, I see that I can easily make them.

EDIT: Except, no stone brick walls until 1.14…

Last edited by arteggio : 2018-12-12 at 09:45.