MC: 1.13 - Update Aquatic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.13 - Update Aquatic
Page 6 of 6 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2018-12-12, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
709: I did some biome cleanup around the museum. Is this okay? Would you have anything else in mind?

Also, it's not too late for anyone to make some requests, especially if they're in the regions I'm already touching here!
Looks great to me! I appreciate you fixing that weird patch of water at the NE corner of the museum. That color change bugged me.

I would like to update the water around 'topia and add in some cold/frozen areas like you suggested. Good for salmon fishing. Hopefully this will just plop over your image file without disturbing the other modifications:

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 11:47

Quote:
Thankfully, my code seems to be pretty light in terms of resource demands. It only ever looks at one region at a time (including its constituent 1024 "16x16" chunks), and although it does have to parse and load all of the region's data and chunks' data into memory when working on it, we're probably talking on the order of tens of megabytes, maybe a hundred for a region that's packed to the gills with stuff... but nothing too crazy. (Disclaimer: I haven't actually profiled this, but running the commands to export or import biome data on a region takes ~20 seconds, and that's fast enough for me that I haven't really put any thought into profiling.)
I was totally wrong! Sort of.

I actually did some memory profiling, and it turns out that when processing the "0.0" region (with our spawn location), the export functionality consumes ~210 MB and the import functionality consumes ~340 MB. Each run still only takes about 10-20 seconds, and that's fast enough that I would still safely consider the memory pressure from these operations just a blip on the radar.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Looks great to me! I appreciate you fixing that weird patch of water at the NE corner of the museum. That color change bugged me.

I would like to update the water around 'topia and add in some cold/frozen areas like you suggested. Good for salmon fishing. Hopefully this will just plop over your image file without disturbing the other modifications:

Looks good! I'll graft that onto my grand plan later this evening.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
This one's far north! I can't find my structure exactly (not sure it's in this map version as it's so new?) but it's one of those two mountains with lava, within this vague red boundary. Please add snow to that whole region within the vague red area!

EDIT 2: Upon exploration, the snow needn't go all the way south to the ocean. 709 has already planted some flowers there. Maybe it can curve around the southern edge of that exposed stone.
Okay! I'll see if I can find that, and I'll try to make the edits tonight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
TI can't believe I hadn't looked the walls up before! I was meaning cobblestone walls because that's what I was using, but now that I know there are stone brick walls, I need to replace everything with that. But also, I see that I can easily make them.

EDIT: Except, no stone brick walls until 1.14…
Oh, WALLS! I thought that was a typo, and I thought you just meant blocks. I didn't even realize there were new wall types coming in 1.14. Fun!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-12, 12:53

Tonight should be fun. Can't wait.

I don't have any biome needs, since my corner of the map is already shroomed!

I think I will come up from the depths and have a look at all the constructions. Maybe put on m' wings and rocket around for a bit.

Also, after some quick negotiations, the child might even be joining me. She has a chemistry final this a.m. (taking it right now, in fact) and hates the class, so she is feeling the need to burn off some steam.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 14:03

Sounds like the server will be hoppin'. Here's hoping turtle's Fios connection decides to play nicely with us tonight!
arteggio

2018-12-12, 15:06

Quote:
Okay! I'll see if I can find that, and I'll try to make the edits tonight as well.

Quote:
Sounds like the server will be hoppin'. Here's hoping turtle's Fios connection decides to play nicely with us tonight!
We'll be partying like it's 2011! FIOS-pending…
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 15:23

Revised plan!

I expanded the museum cleanup into the next region since part of it was missed, added the shuttle, added the landing barge, and creatively recolored arteggio's northern mountain range. That's a mix of snowy tundra and taiga, all of which should be cold enough to get snow whenever there's precipitation.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-12, 16:09

Huzzah! I did a local test run with the modifications, and it all seems to work. minutor displays the data happily (normally it will crash hard if even one block is malformed, and traveling around in my local game instance seems good so far.

/me crosses fingers

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-12-12, 16:36

Man I would love to play but I have to sleep since it's my night for overnights. If y'all are still playing around I might be able to join in some around 9PM EST when I start work again.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-20, 10:36

I've been playing with the latest snapshot and it looks like mobs won't span on empty platforms that aren't at the original ground level. This will clearly have an effect on traps/xp farms.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-20, 12:59

We just have to hollow out the world below the XP farm and lower it to ocean level. I think with some mad admin skills it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-25, 11:38

I don't think there is anything below it as it is. I will have to test it out in The End and see how that works. I never tried that. It will be interesting to see if they will spawn in that great void between the center island and the outer rings.

¡Damned!

2019-02-25, 12:17

I read somewhere that in order for an xp trap like we have to work in the End it needs to be built where there was/is a landmass. So basically it would need to be placed where a current island is then remove the island around it. Still hoping it's a bug that hasn't been fixed yet... it just seems too odd not to be.

The massive mob trap in the overworld might work as Ken suggests though, just moved below sea level.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-25, 17:28

And remember that the spawn platforms are what need to be 1 block below "sea level". The remainder of the trap must then be lower than that. Thus, overall height will be an issue. The XP trap in the End already descends well below "sea level" and there may not be enough height (or depth) available. Same goes for the Mob Trap.

I ain't moving the thing. If it stops working, then it stops working. I'll get over to the mob trap and clean that sucker out, and load up on enchanted things before the XP trap ceases to function. However, if they do stop working, I highly recommend leaving them be until we know for sure if this is a bug or The Future®. If it's The Future®, then I say we take them down and pool all the resources in the ComEx.

Bruce did great work on those things, but if they stop working then they are just eyesores.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-02-26, 00:01

Hopefully it is only a bug and the traps will work going forward. If not then I would agree with you that removing them and sharing the resources would be the best option. Maybe build something work looking at over the water where the mob trap is instead.

Dr. Bobsky

2019-02-26, 07:28

My mob traps are things of beauty, thankyouverymuch.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-26, 12:25

Silly Bruce, tricks are for kids!

Technically speaking, they are indeed. But they could use err, umm, a "woman's touch"!

P.S. Good to see you are still lurking about.

¡Damned!

2019-06-20, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

I've been playing with the latest snapshot and it looks like mobs won't span on empty platforms that aren't at the original ground level. This will clearly have an effect on traps/xp farms.
Tried this out on 1.14.2 and it seems to be fixed. I built a platform in the Overworld and baddies spawned, then I ducked into the End and built a platform between the main island and the outer ring and endermen spawned. So, hopefully, our farms are intact when we upgrade.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-20, 11:57

That's good news!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-20, 15:13

Yay!
¡Damned!

2019-06-20, 15:28

Teamwork!

(Turtle and I were talking about this earlier as we were emptying our pockets)