AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Dark circles under the eyes...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dark circles under the eyes...
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-10-22, 20:14

They came on gradually (for me, my brother and my father) at about age 25, fully developed by 30.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-22, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Im going to jump on board here as I have the same problem.

I also always have bloodshot eyes. Im not talking bright red but its noticible to me at least and Im sure it is to others too. Does anyone have any remedies for or ideas why this might be happening? I'll be the first to admit I dont have the best sleep routine, but Im young(ish) and dont think I am that much worse off for sleep than others my age, probably 6 hours per night.

I can take pictures if anyone wants
Do your eyes feel like they're really tired, and do they burn somewhat? Do you sort of squint from their burning?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-22, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I was prescribed Zimovane (Zopiclone) for a short while a few months ago to help me fall asleep: the first and hopefully last time I tried sleeping tablets.

It is phenomenally effective: one pill and I was sound asleep within half an hour, and awake the next morning feeling alert and much more refreshed than normal.

Therefore, I strongly suggest you never try it if you have even the slightest disposition to addiction.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-22, 20:40

Hope some of this helps.

Quote:
Common Causes of Dark Circles Under Eyes

Thinning skin
The skin under the eyes is thin and delicate to begin with. As we age, skin and the fat pad under the eyes becomes thinner, causing blood vessels to become noticeable. This gives the appearance of dark circles. Sun damage can make it worse because it weakens skin.

Allergies and Hayfever
Dark circles under the eyes can be the result of allergies to airborne substances, such as pollen, dust, and pet dander, because people rub their itchy eyes. People with hayfever may notice them at the height of the season.

Food allergies or sensitivities can also contribute to dark circles.

Sponsored Links
Hylexin Eye Cream
Serious Dark Circles? Try Hylexin. Buy Directly From The Manufacturer!
www.ShopHylexin.com

Get Rid of Dark Circles
Patented Cream For Dark Circles Guarantees Results-Free Trial Offer
dark.iqderma.com

Genetics
Dark circles under the eyes runs in families. They tend to be more noticeable in people with fair skin or deep-set eyes.

Fluid Retention
Blood vessels under the eyes can become dilated and engorged, which can contribute to dark circles. Excess dietary salt and smoking are common causes. Conditions that cause fluid retention (e.g. heart, thyroid, kidney, liver diseases) or medications that cause blood vessel dilation may be a factor. Your doctor should be aware of any symptoms you're experiencing.

Lack of sleep
A lack of sleep can make skin appear more pale, which allows blood vessels to be more visible through the skin, giving the appearance of bluish or dark circles.

Iron Deficiency Anemia
Iron deficiency anemia may cause a bluish tinge below the eyes.

Dehydration
Dark circles under the eyes can be a sign of dehydration.
Quote:
Remedies for Dark Circles Under the Eyes

There are some home remedies that may help to temporarily diminish the appearance of dark circles under the eyes, and prevent dark circles from worsening.

1. Be sure to drink enough water.

2. Wear sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 under the eyes to prevent skin weakening caused by sun damage.

3. Get plenty of rest.

4. Apply plain cool teabags over closed eyes. Don’t use herbal teabags, because most aren't as effective.

5. Apply cool cucumber slices over closed eyes for 15 minutes.

6. Be careful not to consume too much dietary salt. Start by learning about sources of sodium in the diet.

7. Apply vitamin K cream. Although studies haven't looked at the use of topical vitamin K for dark circles under the eyes, preliminary studies have found that vitamin K may help with bruising.

8. Vitamin C helps to strengthen blood vessel walls. Quiz: Are you getting enough vitamin C?

9. The dietary supplements grape seed extract and pycnogenol contain antioxidant pigments that may help to strengthen blood vessels.

Certain foods, such as cranberries, blueberries, bilberries, tea (green and black), black currant, onions, legumes, and parsley also contain these antioxidant pigments.

10. Eat kidney-balancing foods. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, a bluish cast under the eyes are due to an imbalance in kidney energy. Learn more about kidney yang deficiency and foods to eat.
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/drca...ircleseyes.htm

You'll note that I left in the 'sponsored links', because who knows, maybe they'd work.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-10-22, 20:55

Thanks. That's good stuff to know. I've been on a raging cranberry juice kick the past few weeks, so that's nice to know. Sounds like some vitamin stuff going on as well, as thegelding suggested earlier on.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-22, 21:07

Interesting thread - I've had slightly dark rings since I was 18 or so. I need to get my nutrition back to fresh vegetables and stuff, it's disgusting to think what crap I eat all the time - independently of the rings, really. Looks like I will need glasses anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone?
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-10-22, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Emmylou does an outstanding version of it on Roses in the Snow.
Wow, thanks for that. I'm not much of a country fan, but I like it.

Kinda weird hearing Emmylou singing about the whores on 7th Avenue, though.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-10-22, 21:48

Now, does anyone knows a cure for those with eyes that's deep-set in the face, to a point that there's a perpetual shadow over the eyes, making one look shifty and disreputable?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-22, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
making one look shifty and disreputable?
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2007-10-23, 04:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Do your eyes feel like they're really tired, and do they burn somewhat? Do you sort of squint from their burning?
No, thats the bit I find strange. I can get up from the best nights sleep ever, feeling totally refreshed and awake and they are still there. Perhaps Ill look into it a bit more or take a trip to the doctor at some point.

Good advice on the dark circles though all.
Chellovek

2007-10-23, 04:43

You just need to feed on the blood of your victims more often. Oh, and try avoiding sunlight.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2007-10-23, 05:07

I'm doing well on the avoiding sunlight front anyway. And Im thinking my victims may be suffering from some sort of vitamin deficiency. Perhaps I should mention it to them
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-23, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellovek View Post
You just need to feed on the blood of your victims more often. Oh, and try avoiding sunlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post

I'm doing well on the avoiding sunlight front anyway. And Im thinking my victims may be suffering from some sort of vitamin deficiency. Perhaps I should mention it to them

Freewell

2007-10-24, 20:13

I keep meaning to reply to this, and just haven't gotten to it till now...

I have also been blessed with the hereditary tendency towards dark circles. To give you an idea of how dark they have gotten before... I was newly married during a period of extremely heightened national security. Needless to say security measures for active duty military were stringent to say the least. For me, this meant waiting in line at 0200 for hours just in order to report to duty on time. Between this and my new husband's and my apparent lack of interest in sleep, I wasn't getting but 1 or 2 hours of sleep a night. One day I had a Staff Sargent pull me aside as soon as I got to work and demand to know who had been hitting me!!! Stunned, I asked what she meant. She said that I had two black eyes, and she wanted to know how they got there, and again demanded to know if I had been mistreated. I started laughing as I realized that the dark circles must have been at all time 'high'. It did feel good to know she gave a flyin' flip though!

Anyway, I have searched the market up and down, and the best stuff that exists, as far as I know is called 'eye replenishing creme' from Artistry. Like the manly moisturizer I mentioned to Drew, you will have to find a rep that sells it, but it also has a 100% guarantee, so you will be good to go. I have actually heard rave reviews from men (and of course, tons of women) who have used it for the same purpose you mentioned. I use it and love it. I don't have to feel like the raccon bride anymore!!! Hope this helps.