Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Space Travel, what's in it for you?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Space Travel, what's in it for you?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 15:42

On a general, humanity, scale, I don't disagree with the desire to head out into space and um... well, do something. But, on a more personal level, I have a hard time buying into the arguments for it that I hear. So, perhaps I'm just not hearing the right arguments, for those Novans that are interested in Space travel, exploration, colonization and eventual Imperialism/laser conflicts, what are your personal reasons for the interest? what is it you'd like to do in space? and what is it you'd like to see/find? and... why?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-09-09, 15:51

I have lived with a fragile faith built on vague memories from an experience that I could neither prove nor explain. When I was 12, my sister was taken from me, taken from our home by a force that I came to believe was extraterrestrial. This belief sustained me, fueling a quest for truths that were as elusive as the memory itself. To believe as passionately as I did was not without sacrifice, but I always accepted the risks - to my career, my reputation, my relationships, to life itself.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 16:07

I want to go into space simply to experience the vastness of it. Right now all I can really comprehend is that the Earth is tiny compared to everything else that's out there, but that's like book smart vs. experience smart. I want to viscerally experience just how small we are, and how much bigger our corner of space is.

I want to get into a space suit and step outside the shuttle and take a look around. I want to see the Earth below me and the moon above and really, truly understand how small I am in the scheme of things. I like to think that understanding the vastness of our solar system on that scale will give me a broader appreciation for Earth and everything on it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-09, 17:04

Nothing. I will be dead before it's possible and I have no children who might benefit. My interest in space travel is for the benefit for other people's childrens (or more like unborn Grandchildrens)...

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Nothing. I will be dead before it's possible and I have no children who might benefit. My interest in space travel is for the benefit for other people's childrens (or more like unborn Grandchildrens)...
Okay, then what are the perceived benefits for their children?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I want to go into space simply to experience the vastness of it. Right now all I can really comprehend is that the Earth is tiny compared to everything else that's out there, but that's like book smart vs. experience smart. I want to viscerally experience just how small we are, and how much bigger our corner of space is.

I want to get into a space suit and step outside the shuttle and take a look around. I want to see the Earth below me and the moon above and really, truly understand how small I am in the scheme of things. I like to think that understanding the vastness of our solar system on that scale will give me a broader appreciation for Earth and everything on it.
If you want a sense of small, go skydiving, or fly to Thailand. In the 18 hours it takes you to get there, you will have ample time to realize just how tiny you are compared to the Earth.
Dutch Pear

2008-09-09, 18:00

The dizzying opportunity to meet actual Ewoks.

Duh!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-09, 18:06

I recall reading that one quite good reason for having a space station was to enable science research where doing similar experiment on land would be infeasible, expensive or both. So investing in space technology is actually more like investing in a expensive lab that may eventually make discoveries helpful in further developing technology.

Not really much of an argument for actual "travel" part, I'm afraid.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-09-09, 18:07

Orion. Slave. Girls.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-09-09, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
In short I believe it's for the same reason we spend billions upon billions of dollars on science projects like going to the moon or smashing atomic particles. There may be little immediate benefit short of a few ego trips, but there's a huge potential for future scientific and social advancement, direct and indirect.

The direct benefits for people who aren't interested strictly in the intellectual pursuits will of course be new forms of entertainment, toys, comforts, medicines, etc. -- all new gluttonous stuff to enjoy.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-09, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Truthfully? Expanding the knowledge of the human race and potentially, finding an alternate home because the idea that we might make this planet uninhabitable for one reason or another is not far-fetched to me. And IF we are to find a new home in the centuries ahead, we need to start now. If Mars needs to be terraformed by releasing greenhouse gases into its atmosphere, in order to create eventually a breathable air, rain, etc... estimates are it will take 100 years or more to do it once we start building. Having an alternative to living here within the next 200 years? A good idea... just in case.

And of course, it's not just about the ability to terraform another planet (which is DAMN difficult under the best conditions), but getting (in the most grim scenario) at least several thousand people off this planet from all races and corners of the globe and onto another one in a doable time-frame. That means we need big advancements in transport technology, propulsion, etc too. Not just sending astronauts somewhere. If we can't move people off this planet a hundred at a time and multiple times a year, and we *have* to leave, we're screwed.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ronmexico

2008-09-09, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
In short I believe it's for the same reason we spend billions upon billions of dollars on science projects like going to the moon or smashing atomic particles. There may be little immediate benefit short of a few ego trips, but there's a huge potential for future scientific and social advancement, direct and indirect.
agreed
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-09-09, 18:57

It's obviously for sex in space. We've all dreamt of that since Space Camp (at least once we found out that anti-gravity chambers didn't really exist).

Seriously though, I think putting people in space is a complete waste of money, unless it can be done economically and make traveling around the world significantly faster and more efficient. Even then, all the money wasted thus far probably wouldn't be made up for (correct me if I'm wrong).

To me, it's like the finding life on Mars thing - who cares (except for some nerds)?

You can probably tell I'm in Humanities (no appreciation for science for the sake of science) .

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 19:09

Well, there is money to be had in Space. It's just the cost of entry, building infrastructure, inevitable loss of life in early expeditions, and very very long time before any returns on the investment. Make it pretty difficult to earnestly want to pursue when there are plenty of problems down here on Earth. But yet, if we *could* tap into space for our energy needs(24/7/365 space solar power plants for instance) or for production of materials(i.e. building space ships on the moon or mars) Then that would be a very significant thing that would probably do a lot of 'good' for the Earth, in terms of unifying disparate governments and ideologies to get behind something. But... meh.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-09, 19:52

Money should be the last reason to go. The very last.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-09, 20:03

Energy. There's a lot of energy in space.

There is the already mentioned solar panels, but there's an even greater source of energy in space: Helium-3. He3 is the ideal fuel for nuclear fusion, and will probably be the second generation of fuel for fusion reactors once we get them working on a large scale.

He3 is rare on Earth but abundant on the Moon and even more abundant in the gas giants. At the point where space travel is economical enough to harvest this and use it to power our race, we would have abundant, clean, and cheap energy for all. That's why I'll sign on for space travel.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-09, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Money should be the last reason to go. The very last.
Why is that? it is ridiculously expensive to get there, is it so wrong to pursue payback?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-09-09, 20:27

It may well save our lives in the future. And what brad said.