User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Just in to the No Kidding To Anyone Halfway Paying Attention Dept...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just in to the No Kidding To Anyone Halfway Paying Attention Dept...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-07, 13:32

Next round of redesigned MacBook Airs may come in iMac-ish colors.

Probably wasn't a human on the planet who didn't assume/expect this. Nice throwback to the jellybean/toilet seat era, where the "consumer" Macs were colors and the pro stuff a) actually existed and b) weren't colors.

We'll see.

Do you think MacBook Airs are fanless forever? Will future, more powerful version of the M1 cause a rethink of that? Or is that one of those "we've gone there, we can't go back...we'd look lame" things?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-07, 14:29

I'll go with "MacBook Airs are fanless forever" for the same reason that iPads have always been fanless (including the new iPad Pro M1). The Air's intended audience will always be fine with whatever processor Apple shovels in there. If you need a fan, you are likely a creative pro and you're looking at the wrong computer.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-07, 15:07

It's such a lazy rumor.

"Apple may or may not do the same thing to one Mac product as they just did to another Mac product. I heard it from someone and I'm guessing it was for the Air, but honestly, it could also be the Mac Pro." OK, thanks.

(I hope this happens. But also… I'm a bit bummed how MacRumors in recent years has drummed up the most obvious things into "news stories".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I'll go with "MacBook Airs are fanless forever" for the same reason that iPads have always been fanless (including the new iPad Pro M1). The Air's intended audience will always be fine with whatever processor Apple shovels in there. If you need a fan, you are likely a creative pro and you're looking at the wrong computer.
Exactly. The MacBook Air is now the iPad Pro as a laptop. The iPad Pro is the MacBook Air as a tablet. Same CPU/GPU/chipset, similar ports (almost surprising they didn't just give the iPad Pro two ports at this point), one with a trackpad OS and one with a tablet OS.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-07, 17:27

Yep, that's why I titled the thread this way. Everyone drawing a breath has assumed such a thing. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen. If they went full-on aluminum rainbow on the big iMacs, of course they're going to do so on the consumer/regular-person-oriented Airs.

The Mac news/rumor racket isn't what it once was.