User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2020 Apple
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-20, 18:47

Okay, let's hear it. What is Apple going to do in 2020? New Macs, new phones, new iPads, new things.

What's coming, and is it going to be a good year to be an Apple fan? Or is this the year of the great suck?

We now have a crazy powerful Mac Pro; fancy new AirPods; a 16" MacBook Pro with a new keyboard thingy; the iPads are as good as, well, as they've ever been. Services are going crazy (if not still a bit wonky).

I'm looking for a completely redesigned iMac and a new 14" MacBook Pro to replace the 13" line.

Obviously there will be new iPhones in the fall, but is a new iPad Pro coming this spring, or waiting until October? Does WWDC bring an iMac without a chin? Is there an in-between tower on the near horizon? Ax coming soon, and maybe Apple's own 5G modems?

Lay it out there!

And now that Paul is back, we'll be expecting that new iMac mockup.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-21, 12:50

While I'm not big on "redesign for the sake of redesign, just because", it is funny that the iMac has pretty much had the same design for 15 solid years now, starting with the iMac G5 (which always amuses me because it was exactly the design Jobs spoke against when he unveiled the iMac G4 two-and-a-half years earlier in January 2002...a screen with the guts glommed into the back, in vertical orientation, which, according to him hampers performance and makes the display not as thin as one may like). But it is a very compact and "distilled down about as much as you can get" design, so I can see why it's been around so long, through various material, color, size, body tweaking (17", 20", 21.5", 24", 27", white plastic, aluminum/black, space grey, thicker body, curved back with faux, implied thinness, user accessible RAM and hard drive no longer part of all models, port changes, etc. But the basic "LCD on a stand" thing has been the iMac since September 2004.

What I'd love to see, if they're looking to do something new with it, is to take cues from the new, just-released display and stand approach. No, it can't cost $5,000+ or whatever, but it doesn't have to because the display doesn't need to be anything dramatically better than what they are now, for the model it is. But you take the idea of the "adjustable display on top of a weighted base" idea (iMac G4). Basically, the bottom of the stand would house the guts. And in that width and depth required to do so, you get your weighted, large-enough base to support the display on the arm coming from the top of it. Basically you take the general idea of the iMac G4 (adjustable display mounted separately/independent of the guts) but do it more in the look of the new Pro Display and stand. Thing is, the Mac mini and the MacBook Pro show us that a ton of space/bulk isn't needed to hold all those components, right? The iMac guts compartment would certainly be a little bigger because it would have standalone graphics and so forth, so it doesn't need to be too small/cramped for its own good. But I would imagine it could take up the space of about two Mac minis placed side-by-side, and designed in such a way that the display arm coming out of the top in no way wants to wander or tilt over. Mind you, I'm not saying the arm itself has to tilt/swivel (like the iMac G4), but in the way this new display/stand offers that same sort of adjustability (up, down, left, right, tilt/swivel), you get that iMac G4 type of functionality, which I really enjoyed back in the day; depending on what you were doing, you'd want it high and straight, but sometimes I'd lower it way down and tilt it back and that made for a nice reading/surfing setup.

So yeah, look into separating the two main components once again, letting the guts lie flat on the desk in a housing not much taller than a Mac mini, but as wide as needed to accommodate whatever components would be needed, including higher-end ones via BTO configurations). Then a "light and thin as it can reasonably be" display floating above all that, and being very adjustable (every bit as much as what's allowed by this new display/stand).

Notebook-wise, nothing I've not already talked about in another thread...I think, in 2020, anything with "Pro" in its name, even the 13" MacBook Pro, should come, out of the box, with 16GB RAM. It's silly that a target buyer for that machine can't simply walk into their local Best Buy (or even Apple Store) and just get a stock pro notebook with that amount of RAM as a base. But you always have to do the online BTO thing to get past that 8GB. The lower-cost stuff - Mac mini, MacBook Air, entry-level iMac - can have the 8GB for a bit longer, but it's well past the time that the pro stuff needs to quit slumming it and being chintzy on such things. Other than that, no real complaints about the MacBook lineup, although I'm hoping they all get the new keyboard that comes on the 16" so we don't have to keep hearing all those stories and complaints. So, yeah...a 13" MacBook Pro appearing at some point in 2020 with this new keyboard and 16GB RAM out of the box would please a lot of people. If they want to keep 8GB in those two lower-priced models with less than 2GHz processors, okay fine. Whatever. But once you're laying down $1,800 and up, it's ridiculous to ask for another $200 to have the RAM be what it should already be on such a price, "pro"-targeted machine.

Apple has always been chintzy and annoying on their RAM, as far back as I can recall. They had 2GB when they should've had 4. They had 4GB when they should've had 8. They now have 8GB on certain machines/price-points where 16GB shouldn't even be a debate.

Fix those little quirks/shortcomings and I'll gladly give them a chunk of money this coming year (and feel good about it).

As for the iPhone, I have zero interest in all the ever-larger flagship models in recent years. What I want - all I want - is basically the 4.7" display found in the 6/7/8 placed into a body roughly the size of my beloved iPhone SE. At that point, you get the perfect world of "one-hand friendly with as large of a display as possible". So yes, an all-screen type of design, just in a smaller housing than the X, Xr, Xs, 11. A lot of people still love/appreciate compact, one-hand use. And I'm sure they can do such a design/model cheaper by eliminating whatever pricier components/features make up the $999 and up line (OLED, etc.). I would be the happiest iPhone owner on the planet if I could just get an SE-sized (give or take by a few millimeters, as needed) phone with that once-standard 4.7" display. On a few occasions I held my Mom's 6s next to my SE and it's very close! The 4.7" display on the 6s (and 7, 8) just about sits perfectly in that SE-sized casing, with just a bit of tweaking. So that would be my ideal, dream iPhone. I don't want - and I'll never buy/own - one of these current ones, at 6.1" and whatever else. Because they're not one-hand or pocket-friendly. And after 12+ of iPhone owning/usage, I'm simply not interested in changing in that way. I'll abandon the iPhone (and just go back to a cheap, flip dumb phone) before I throw in with these new large ones.

I put a new battery in my SE a year ago (New Year's Eve 2018), so I'm good, battery-wise, for another 18 or so months (I bought this in April 2016 and got just over 30 months of it before it really zapped out. So with this new battery, I should be okay until well into spring 2021. That gives Apple a good 18 months to put out an iPhone I want, otherwise I'll put in another $49 battery in this SE at that point, or I'll just toss it and just have a Mac (and maybe an iPad mini for around-the-house or travel use). At this point, I'm honestly fine either way. The idea of not having some big monthly phone bill is kinda nice. I've even considered, since everywhere I go is wifi-covered, just ditching the phone completely at some point and getting an iPod touch instead, and just communicating via wifi calls/facetime/texting/email. I rarely use my iPhone for traditional phone calls/talking and about the only time/place I'm not connected to wifi these days is when I'm in my car...and I've got the Do Not Disturb while driving thing turned on and I've never been a "use my iPhone while driving" type anyway...

1. So yeah, if they're going to redo the iMac, then really redo it and look to the new display/stand (and iMac G4) for inspiration.

2. Put the new keyboard into all the notebooks (Air and 13" Pro) and put 16GB in at least the two upper-end 13" Pros.

3. Make a proper iPhone SE 2 that combines the size/one-hand of the SE and the "entire surface is a display" design of the X/11 models.

Do any two of the above and you'll get a sizable chunk of my $$$ in 2020.

Do none of them and I have no real purchase plans/interest at all. I'll just keep using this near-three-year-old SE and this loaner 13" MacBook Pro. I'm not going to spend good money on shit I don't really want. Spent entirely too much of my Apple-using life (25+ years) doing that, I'm done.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-12-21, 13:29

2020, Apple releases the new Applebook Air, with an AX chip. Touch screen with a built in keyboard/trackpad. Apple pencil support. Basically an 2020 iPad Pro, but with Mac OS; or improved iPad OS. Small 256GB SSD (no options), 8-16GB RAM, Wireless charging, no IO ports, everything over the cloud or transferred via Airdrop. It's called Applebook Air, using the change to Ax chips to start transition away from the "Macintosh" branding for the OS and computers. Computers in the future, with Intel chips will retain the old branding, but as time goes on, say 2025, it's all over.

iMac redesign. I don't see many ways to change the shape, but bring back colours and matte finishes, the brushed aluminum look is really getting old. It's like shopping for appliances, I'm sick of stainless steal appliances for the same reason.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-21, 13:29

I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini and am not giving Apple more computer dollars until the iMac gets a fresh face (I can buy used stuff from work for very good prices and they work just fine). My iPhone X is just a bit too big for my pocket, but I love the screen. However, I am a candidate for an iPhone "SE" (rumor has it that they are coming 1st half of 2020, so here's to hoping!) whose screen is iPhone X-ish in design (Face ID and all that—I cannot stand the Home button at this point), and a good camera. I no longer have any use for a laptop, but my wife does. I will continue to buy used on that front, and am looking for a good MB Air for her as soon as one drops into the shop.

New laptops for me are a waste of my money. My X is already way more phone than I need, so a slightly smaller, slightly less powerful phone with an equivalent camera system is going to get my upgrade $$. Seriously, though, the iMac is a dated-looking computer. If a new design doesn't drop this year, the Mini will get replaced with a used 2015+ model, and I can get those really cheap at this point. Drop in an SSD and upgrade my external RAID to SSD's, and it will still cost me significantly less than current things with reasonable specs.

If Apple is reading these things (and I highly suspect they are) then I hope that turning their attention toward "Pro" wishes means they are also listening to the consumer wishes.

Most folks will just buy whatever, but "whatever" is getting stale. My favorite Apple computer to date was my 2002 iMac G4 with an 800Mhz G4, 80GB HDD, and 1GB of RAM.That thing was awesome, esthetically pleasing, very powerful, flexible, and just plain . A few weeks ago, I finally hauled it to the recycle bin. It hurt, but I just didn't use it any longer and it was time for it to go.

But, that design was truly revolutionary and innovative.

That's the Apple I want to see working. "Good enough" is not good enough!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-21, 15:58

I like the chrome look on the new Mac Pro. I wouldn't mind seeing a new iMac adopt that look in various places/trim.

As for the iMac G4, that's been my favorite design ever from Apple. It was eye-catching for sure, but that adjustable display and the front pop-out "tongue" optical drive were really handy (back when we played things from/burned things to discs. I sometimes like to imagine how it would've been if that design is the one that stuck around for 15+ years, changing along the way (materials, screen sizes, ports, specs, etc.) as the current design did.

I would've loved to have seen how that design gently evolved over a decade-and-a-half.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-12-21, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
3. Make a proper iPhone SE 2 that combines the size/one-hand of the SE and the "entire surface is a display" design of the X/11 models.
I cannot chant "this" enough. That's exactly what I want in a phone. And I want it to come in red and silver and a black; I want the red.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-21, 16:47

I’m hoping for not too many 2020 vision puns
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-21, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I cannot chant "this" enough. That's exactly what I want in a phone. And I want it to come in red and silver and a black; I want the red.
It seems like such a no-brainer to me, but Apple and I haven't been on the same page about things for quite some time, so I know better than to get my hopes too high. But it sure is nice to think about! It would be the perfect iPhone, IMO...best of both worlds (small body, big screen). I actually mocked one up on foam core and some printed out Illustrator drawing, front and back. It's awesome! It's in my nightstand and every now and then I'll get it out and hold it and pretend it's real for a few minutes. "Oh, why can't you exist?"

Fingers crossed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I’m hoping for not too many 2020 vision puns
Oh, you know that's going to be a thing with so many companies, and Apple won't sidestep it either. Not hard to imagine a press event announcement for a new iMac and/or iPads..."We're seeing 2020", "2020. Our vision has never been clearer.", etc. Come April or so, we're going to be so sick of all that from all these companies. I was thinking about this very thing the other evening.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-23, 12:10

Hopefully it's corrective 2020 vision!

I can think of a few things that need fixing, iCloud reliability being at the top of my list. Apple ID issues are still the #1 issue our service department deals with. iCloud syncing problems are a solid #2.

Apple needs to give me a very good reason why anyone on this green Earth should buy an iPad Air.

Airplay is not reliable when streaming anything other than Apple Music (we listen to Radio Paradise here in the shop, and whenever the host computer is shut down, or whenever a customer inadvertently triggers Hey Siri, the Music app's Airplay business has to be reset.) Perhaps this lack of "reliability" is intentional? "Just subscribe to Apple Music," says Apple.

Apple TV+ sucks the bottom of the barrel. Unless something compelling happens this year, I will be canceling my subscription (which is free for a year, and still not worth it). Literally every other service kicks its butt walking away. It's just a barrel of garbage.

Can someone please fix Catalina?

That's a start. I'll append if something else jumps out at me.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-23, 22:22

I don't follow all the various storage/capacity offerings from other companies that much, but am I out of line for thinking that Apple's free 5GB, in 2019/2020, seems a little on the chintzy, low side? I know some of that is offset by some things not fully counting toward that 5GB, etc. But still, doesn't it seem a little dinky compared to some others out there? It hasn't budged in ages, so I can only assume Apple is sitting on some internal data/polling that tells that "5GB free is all most people need, and they should be happy to have it".

As I said the other week, I guess you don't get to be a $1T outfit by being super accommodating, generous and just giving shit away, huh?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-12-24, 00:44

Something amazing in the MBP area.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2019-12-24, 06:11

A thermostat?

We just installed one of the eco bee thingies. Nice. There are some vagaries of HVAC control to be aware of - else setup does not go as smoothly as one would like - but judging solely by friends and family it looks like a product category with a growing audience.

arteggio

2019-12-24, 09:00

Quote:
Me three.

I got an iPhone 6 back in the day, after my iPhone 5. Then I sold it and got an SE, which I kept until the X.

Honestly, the only thing I had wanted of the X was force touch. Now that that’s gone I just want a nice, one-handed, non-curve-design phone that lives up to today’s standards. I love my iPhone 11 Pro cameras, but would sacrifice them with glee for a new SE.

If they do an SE2 with the iPhone 6/7/8 [curved] design, I’ll be flabbergasted. No one wants that, and those who do have it in the iPhone XR.

We need the small flat-sided chocolate bar phone back with today’s technology.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-24, 11:54

Quote:
I don't follow all the various storage/capacity offerings from other companies that much, but am I out of line for thinking that Apple's free 5GB, in 2019/2020, seems a little on the chintzy, low side? I know some of that is offset by some things not fully counting toward that 5GB, etc. But still, doesn't it seem a little dinky compared to some others out there? It hasn't budged in ages, so I can only assume Apple is sitting on some internal data/polling that tells that "5GB free is all most people need, and they should be happy to have it".

As I said the other week, I guess you don't get to be a $1T outfit by being super accommodating, generous and just giving shit away, huh?
Yeah, 20GB seems like a better idea. What Apple is doing is selling lots and lots of services, iCloud data storage being one of them. And if you need 6 6GB and only have 5, well guess what!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Something amazing in the MBP area.
MacBook Pro XDR coming soon to a pirate ship near you! Just $9999. And that will be cheap when compared to some Alienware thing and a Sony 4k reference display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
A thermostat?
This is an area where Apple could be excellent, but I would never buy one. At some point some hacker is going to come along and turn your heat way up in the middle of the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Me three.
Not sure I want to extend my phone payments any longer than February—when they end—but my X is just a smidge too large for my pocket. I'm with Scates. If they can get that thing down even a half inch diagonally I think it would be the perfect phone. *BUT* it cannot have a Home button, or I'm out.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-12-25, 13:38

Quote:

So in 2011, iCloud launched with these tiers:

- 5GB free
- 15GB for $20/year
- 25GB for $40/year
- 55GB for $100/year

Now it's:

- 5GB free
- 50GB for $12/year
- 200GB for $36/year
- 2TB for $120/year

(I'm rounding up because they're actually monthly now.)

So the paid plans have actually become a way better deal over the past nine years (which makes sense, since we also do a heck of a lot more with iCloud now). And yet the free plan has remained the same.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-12-25, 15:59

I would like to see them move the free plan to 50GB and then 500GB, 1TB, 4TB. That would be great given the amount that eventually clutters the cloud storage. Especially since you can share storage with your Family. The means 4TB for everyone in you family. That isn't as much as it might seem off the start, at least if there are three or more users in your family.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-30, 18:07

Something else I would very much like Apple to work on: Single password sign-in.

What I mean is this: Once you have signed into the App Store, you should not have to keep presenting your password for every single action you take. Once you open System Preferences, there should be one lock that unlocks everything. You should not have to unlock users, then unlock security, then unlock software update, etc.

Please, let me unlock once, already!

If it were up to me, System Preferences would be a modifiable window, where the admin could decide what items needed locking and drag them to, say, the bottom half of the window where they would be "locked", noted by being grayed-out. Open the lock, and all of those items are unlocked. Items in the upper half of the window would always be unlocked. Close the System Preferences window and all preferences are automatically locked. Or just click the lock icon.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2019-12-31, 02:01

Indeed system preferences lock is a pain, and you used to be able to do exact what you described, at least on a admin account. I think it stopped working in 10.13 or around there.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-01-30, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
2020, Apple releases the new Applebook Air, with an AX chip.
Why wouldn't they just call it the iBook?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-30, 18:05

That's the name I would use.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-30, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
That's the name I would use.
Perhaps for the same reason any new TV show coming out that deals with the occult, UFOs or the paranormal doesn't call itself The X-Files? It's already been used, and why needlessly confuse folks? Apple's already been around the block, twice, with iBook(s)...they shouldn't push it. They've got smart, creative people on the payroll who can (and should) come up with something better.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-30, 18:22

How about BookMacLapThing?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-30, 18:25

Perfect! See?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-01-30, 19:17

Quote:
1999 called, it's wants it's product naming styles back. Been there, done that, never going back. I wish naming things "i" something would die a well deserved death. The iPhone and iPad names are too well entrenched in society to change, but everything else should be safe from that fate.
chucker

2020-01-31, 07:56

Quote:
New products don't have the i prefix any more. The Apple brand is huge enough of its own now. It's Photos rather than not iPhoto, Apple Music rather than iMusic, Apple Watch rather than iWatch. Had the iPad been introduced a few years later, it'd probably be the Apple Pad/Tablet/Slate.

(Heck, it's possibly Apple Slate was an intended name, which would explain the slate rumors.)

Quote:
Perhaps for the same reason any new TV show coming out that deals with the occult, UFOs or the paranormal doesn't call itself The X-Files? It's already been used, and why needlessly confuse folks? Apple's already been around the block, twice, with iBook(s)...they shouldn't push it. They've got smart, creative people on the payroll who can (and should) come up with something better.
There's precedent for Apple reusing brands for different products, though I can only think of the rather obscure Cocoa example right now. (Cocoa was originally an app for kids.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-31, 08:13

I’m aware. But it’s the exception not the rule. Aside from the handful of grandfathered-in, iconic products - iMac, iPhone, iPad and iPod - I think the iWhatever thing has run its course and I doubt they’d go with it on any new product.

May as well call it CyberBook Y2K Xtreme if we’re looking to stroll down Throwback Lane some more.
chucker

2020-01-31, 08:21

Quote:
I’m aware. But it’s the exception not the rule. Aside from the handful of grandfathered-in, iconic products - iMac, iPhone, iPad and iPod - I think the iWhatever thing has run its course and I doubt they’d go with it on any new product.
Yup, definitely.

In any case, if it runs macOS, it'll be called the MacBook regardless of processor architecture, and if it runs iPadOS, they might just add a new suffix to iPad. (I'm guessing it won't be iPad Book. That's awkward.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-31, 11:10

Especially for Pro models.

iPad Book Pro … iPad Pro Book?

Where's my barf smilie?

After thinking about it, I would be fine if they just called it the MacBook.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-01-31, 11:17

My thinking is that this all depends on where Ax chip power tips the scales.

If it's introduced in the low end, I think Apple would have no problem using the iBook name to differentiate from MacBooks with Intel.
And if they're a play for Education from Chromebooks, doubly so. Many of us have fond memories of our iBooks.

But if Ax chips turn out to be really competitive for everything but the Pro line,
then we're looking at a broad-based replacement strategy with the Mac name embedded in the product.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-31, 12:44

MacBook

aBook

MacBook X

Apple Book

Apple Lap Thing

Book

Note

PowerBook

Hell, who knows. When they announced MacBook, I thought the name was dumb! Now, it's synonymous with Apple laptops and few people even remember PowerBook. Yet, PowerMac and PowerBook are still much better names than MacBook and Mac Pro.

Looking through my list, I like:

Book

PowerBook

Consumer and Power. The "Pro" thing is confusing to people and doesn't actually say anything at all. But iBook and PowerBook always had the right tone. One was a Thing, the other was a PowerThing. Lot's of people describe themselves as "professionals", so "pro" doesn't separate "power" from "not power". Many people still associate "business" with "professional" and cannot sort out why they don't need a "pro" machine for MS Word, because certainly MS Word is a "pro" app. For me—a Mac salesman for the past 15 years—the "Pro" bit is just not … correct. It never has been. So, whatever they do, I really do hope they dump the "Pro" business. It even sounds dumb on the iPhone. I mean, what makes the iPhone Pro a "pro" device other than marketing?

Oh, wait …