User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2020
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 10:17

I think it's time to start this discussion.

My prediction:

The big news will be Mac OS Ax. If ARM Macs are coming anywhere between now and the first half of 2021, then Mac OS has to support ARM beginning in June so developers can be ready.

iOS 14 will show off features that will tie it in very tightly with Mac OS Ax.

New 14" MacBook Pro's will be announced (either at WWDC or immediately before).

Apple will talk extensively about its roadmap for Mac Ax.

Ken will salivate!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-04-24, 13:42

...further to this. If they do announce Arm MacOS, there will be a concerted effort by the nerds of the world to install and run it on an iPad.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
...further to this. If they do announce Arm MacOS, there will be a concerted effort by the nerds of the world to install and run it on an iPad.
I'm guessing it will run on iPad Pro right out of the gates. That's your early-release development machine right there!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-24, 17:57

Unless of course there are hardware requirements for the Mac version, like the number of CPU/GPU cores, T2 chip, RAM etc, that the iPad Pro doesn't have.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 18:13

Yeah, that might be the case, but I suspect that Apple will free those restrictions in the early releases. I hope, anyway.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-04-24, 18:50

I don't see any reason why they would, the Mac version has no need to run on an iPad or the other way around for that matter. I think Apple would be better off doing a major revision and calling something else, like Apple OS, for making the OS and Apple work seamlessly across the Mac/Pad/Phone. I could actually see them doing it, one more step to kill of the "i" nonsense, and it's about time to move on from "OSX" anyway, even if it is only in a name, but it would be better if it was something bigger than that.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-24, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
and it's about time to move on from "OSX" anyway, even if it is only in a name, but it would be better if it was something bigger than that.
Well, it is called macOS, now. Apple's references to OS X are pretty much gone. Also, my reference to Mac Ax running on iPad is just for early developer previews, not permanent development.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-14, 18:12

Honestly, I don't have a clue what's coming. However, a tiny little shipping birdie* chirped on my shoulder today and said that a certain shipping company had been told to hold up the movement of certain Mac Mini-sized boxes.

What does it mean?

Nothing!

Or perhaps there are new Mac Minis set to be announced next week? And they were on their way to the local Best Buy/Apple Store/… but are being held until an announcement???

I don't know. It's likely something else, since we are never on the "news" end of this sort of thing. Just thought it was interesting.

* The birdie is familiar with the size of these boxes and what they normally contain.

¡Damned!

2020-05-14, 18:42

That would be very strange since they were just updated. Mac Mini Pro?

Maybe a new, bigger Apple TV w/ redesigned remote? I honestly can't imagine what it would be...

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-05-14, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Maybe a new, bigger Apple TV w/ redesigned remote? I honestly can't imagine what it would be...
Perhaps, but those boxes are a lot smaller.

Like I said, I don't think it's anything other than a temporary holdup of an otherwise normal shipment. But! It could be that Apple has decided to shove the 10th-gen Intel stuf in there and nothing else.

Or it's nothing.

I'm banking on nothing.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-14, 20:23

All Mac Mini's shipping with AMD Ryzen 4000 series mobile chips, which would pound dirt on Intel 10th Gen stuff. Would be a dream come true, but I know it won't happen.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-15, 10:03

Given I'm starting to plan for a new Mac mini purchase soon I'm looking forward to seeing a real upgrade to it. Better graphics would be awesome. I just need to move away from Hackintosh for stability sake.

Using my MBP full time with the dock is awesome, accept when it isn't. I regularly consume more than 16GB of RAM and push the CPU so the fans are racing constantly.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-15, 14:48

Mac Mini can noise is in the same class as the notebooks, since they used the same fans, so don’t expect much better.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-15, 15:07

I think the noise will be less of an issue because I'm going to screw it to the bottom of the desk. I'm going to add rubber between it and the desk to isolate it a little more too. I'm just hoping for better performance than the MBP and I'll be maxing the RAM in the Mini once I buy it. My Windows VM eats half this MBP from the start.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-05-15, 23:17

It's just the fan design, unless you put it in a sound blimp, under load it sounds just like the notebooks. I should know, I have two Mac Mini (2012&2018).

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-09, 11:18

Mac Ax is big in the news this morning. WWDC 2020 has now been tagged as the launching point, and I believe this rumor is accurate. Apple simply cannot release new ARM-based Macs in the next 6 moths to a year without announcing OS X support this June. Developers need time for this, and lots of it. WWDC 2020 is going to be very Mac OS heavy, methinks.

¡Damned!

2020-06-09, 12:09

I wonder how this transition is going to affect Boot Camp – lots of comments I've been reading have been pretty gloom-and-doom about it.

Also! 2020 iMac based on the iPad Pro design language? Sign me the fuck up.

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-09, 12:27

Right there with you. If this gets announced, I will place my order as soon as the button can be pushed.

I tucked my BootCamp response into the ARM discussion thread. You know, to keep things tidy-ish.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-11, 08:39

This is definitely one of the keynotes I want to watch. It will be interesting to see if ARM can be the truck to use Steve's old analogy on why desktops were going to stay.

Will they be presenting a Mac Pro with ARM or will it be a Mini instead? I'm curious what hardware they will be using to show off the chip like they did with the switch from PowerPC to Intel.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-11, 10:51

That's an interesting question. If they just talk about it, then they don't have to show it off. But if they pull the ol', "By, the way, we've been using a Mac [insert machine name] the whole Keynote!". then, yes, it will be very interesting to see what they have up their sleeves. A laptop would be super obvious. But if there is just a display up there (or an XDR ) then holy cow!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-11, 12:25

I can see something like that. Especially with a keynote that is all online. The presentation format would likely be different too. No telling how they will unveil it given the current situation.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-06-21, 00:17

I guess we're down to a matter of hours now, so I should get my predictions on the board.

What I want:
• Announced transition to Ax chips.
• New versions of Mac OS, iPhone OS, iPad OS, WatchOS

New iMac announcement
- larger screen with thinner bezel
- 9K resolution (8K editing plus toolbars.)
- All SSD, USB 4.0, FaceID, updated SD card slot.
- with Ax chip...shipping in October.

• New MacBook Ax and Mac Mini Ax announcement (developer machines.) Low-end Mac Mini returns to US$599.
• Mac Pro Ax teased, but not announced.
• No iPhone or iPad hardware announcements (hold for September event)

New Apple Console announcement (name change from Apple TV)
- brings a serious push to Apple TV, Music, Internet, HomeKit and Gaming services in one powerful package.
- much more streamlined and better looking than the forthcoming 'Boxy' and 'Curvy' consoles.
- fully upgraded remote and 1 gaming controller included.
- flight simulation and car racing games included, based on Apple Maps (Apple announces Claris-like gaming division)

• New Apple Watch, with a serious world breakthrough medical application (Apple solves diabetes monitoring?)

What we'll get:
• Announced transition to Ax chips.
• New versions of Mac OS, iPhone OS, iPad OS, WatchOS

New iMac announcement
- larger screen with thinner bezel.
- Mostly SSD, TouchID
- Available now with Intel chip...Ax version shipping in Spring 2021

• Either new MacBook Ax or Mini Ax announcement (for developers)
• No iPhone or iPad hardware announcements (hold for September event)
• New Apple TV with slightly better remote.
• New Apple Watch, with more battery life and temperature/other sensors for Covid-19 detection.

Last edited by Frank777 : 2020-06-21 at 00:42.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-21, 09:15

That's not a bad set of predictions.

The one thing I don't see is why they would announce an Apple Watch so early in the cycle, even if it really does have a breakthrough health feature.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-21, 09:48

I can't wait. I have tomorrow off work so I'll be watching the keynote. I happen to think it will be about what you've mapped out to some degree. I'm not expecting a console Apple TV though. Not yet. They don't write their own games and that is too much power in other developer's hands for Apple. Maybe some day, but not likely soon. They get enough revenue from the third parties that I'll be really shocked the day that change happens.

For the Watch, I think it is early but I totally see temp and O2 sats being the new standard. They will alert those who have no idea they might have sleep apnea and maybe even be able to track cycles for women better if it is sensitive enough.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-21, 13:02

I'm betting, Ax chip in Macbook Air, OS updates, and not much else.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-21, 18:37

Reports are a notebook and iMac being presented. Not sure I'd jump on either at this point. It will be interesting to see how they play out though.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-21, 19:27

Yup, first gen is always best skipped, they never manage to nail things down the first time. I waited until the second gen Intel Macs shipped as well, and waited till 10.4 (Tiger) to jump full time from OS9 to OS X on my PPC Macs.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-06-21, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
That's not a bad set of predictions.

The one thing I don't see is why they would announce an Apple Watch so early in the cycle, even if it really does have a breakthrough health feature.
My thinking is that smart rings are gaining attention for diagnosing Covid-19, and if Apple has a play here they would need to unveil it asap.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-22, 03:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
My thinking is that smart rings are gaining attention for diagnosing Covid-19, and if Apple has a play here they would need to unveil it asap.
Yeah, if they do want something COVID-related, that would indeed be time-critical enough to launch at dubdub.

But I'm not sure what that something would be, and it might also come across as tonedeaf. There's already (questionable) criticism that exposure tracing doesn't work with the iPhone 6 and older…

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-22, 14:40

Well, it's done and over, so we'll move over to actual Apple things. Have fun.

This thread has been locked for your convenience.