Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Webcam Woes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Webcam Woes
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-01-15, 22:29

So, I’m trying out a “proof of concept” for getting a computer of some kind connected to the TV to do FaceTime, Skype, Zoom and so on. The problem I have is every camera in world is far too wide an angle. My plan was to eventually get an old model Mac Mini to do the job, but right now I’m using my old MacBook Pro (2015). The image is comically wide. The TV is about 15ft from the Couch, so the camera image is of the couch in the far distance, about 1/3 of the width of the image. No problem, I think, I’ll get a USB camera with a narrower FoV. But ohhhh no. Every single webcam they sell prominently lists “ultra-wide angle!” in the marketing. As far as I can tell, the camera in the MBP is actually unusually narrow at 54 degrees - almost all of the others are minimum 60-65 degrees. I do see a few oddball models that claim they have optical zoom but they’re no-name brands with descriptions in poorly-translated Chinese and I’m not confident.

So I looked at maybe getting a high res camera and digitally zooming - but apparently Big Sur doesn’t play well with anything that mediates between hardware and the OS.

I also looked at using my old Canon Rebel XT, but it appears that the new Canon “webcam utility” only works with the newer models.

I don’t want to put the camera somewhere other than at the TV as then you get the “looking offstage” issue.

I feel like I must be missing something. It seems mad that using the giant screen in my living room for video calls is such a faff - surely lots of other people want to do this as well?

(There’s also the whole audio thing to resolve too, but that is, at least, somewhat easier, although the USB cable length limits are also an issue there.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-15, 22:45

I was going to suggest using a DSLR or point and shoot that allows USB cam functions. I know there are third party firmware options that work with older devices. You could pick up and "cheap" used one and flash it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-16, 11:07

A friend gifted me a new GoPro 8 last year and I finally opened it up and started playing around. Turns out that it can be used as a webcam, and it has different lens settings.