AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Beer (or Drink) Tolerance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Drinks per hour before you can't (safely) drive:
Pansy: 2 beers (1 wine glass) 0 0%
Lightweight: 3 beers (2 wines) 0 0%
Middleweight: 5 beers (3 wines) 0 0%
Heavyweight: 6 pack of beers (bottle of wine) 0 0%
Lie to impress your friends: 8 beers (people who drink wine don't try to impress this way, they're snobs) 0 0%
Bullshit artist: case of beers (2 bottles of wine) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Beer (or Drink) Tolerance
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-21, 12:56

So, I just walked home from a local sports pub about 2 blocks away. I corrected about 5 typos in that first sentence. I got lunch, with a beer. That one beer turned into 3 beers within about 45 minutes. I'm feeling pretty good. However, I think my tolerance is low. I'm pretty buzzed. I'm not drunk in the sense that I will have any hangover (only wine did that to me, once), but I can't drive back to my girlfriend's place where our two dogs are resting, and whom I'm supposed to walk this afternoon while she's at work. So to pass the time, my question is, what is your tolerance?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-04-21, 12:58

Don't have one.. i.e. Generally run out of dough / time before I end a drinking session...

EDIT - Although beer will get me drunk quicker than spirits for some reason...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-21, 12:59

Very low. I have had 4 beers this afternoon (Coors - I was trying it out - it sucks) and I am already having a bit of trouble balancing - but in general I am fine. I don't tend to get too drunk, because I get incredibly tired before that. BBQ tonight- UK in the middle of April - I love global warming!!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-21, 13:01

What the hell is 'one'? A shot? A swig? A pint? A pitcher? A keg?

Qualify the fucking non-count nouns, man!

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-04-21, 13:03

Dah hell? I have units, buddy! Interpolate for your froo-froo vodka drinks and shit.

Er, that's supposed to be 2 wine glasses for option 2.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2007-04-21 at 13:05. Reason: Yeah, remember the drinking part?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-04-21, 13:06

1) A 12oz beer = a 6oz glass of wine = a shot of 80 proof. First poll option is incorrect.

2) Rough rule of thumb - one drink per hour, wait an hour afterwards, *then* you're safe to drive. Anything less than that, and you're an idiot.

Fatalities caused while driving while impaired should be prosecuted as second degree murder, in my opinion, so I have very little tolerance for this kind of idiocy.

Besides, the *REAL* manly question is "How much can you imbibe before you hit the floor?"
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-21, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Besides, the *REAL* manly question is "How much can you imbibe before you hit the floor?"
Exactly. Drinking and driving at all is dumb. But I can drink 15+ and still be standing. Go college!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-21, 13:42

These days, 2-3 beers (depending on type, of course) is enough to knock me a tad sideways. I simply don't drink much anymore (never really did, but if ever had a "heavy drinking" part of my life, it was probably a good 8-10 years ago).

I'll buy a six-pack of something and three months later there will still be 3-4 in the fridge. That should tell you right there how little I drink anymore.

I might have a beer (maybe two) in the course of a long rehearsal or gig, but I don't even buzz with that (sweating it off, I guess, and taking forever to even drink it?). Sometimes I crave the taste (and beer in certain company seems to taste better too, and with certain food like pizza or grilled burgers/steaks). But I'm not drinking it to get drunk.

But I can't even remember the last time I got seriously up a wall/on the floor.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-21, 13:57

Absolute pansy. I hate being properly drunk. I enjoy a drink, but any more than 2 and I stop enjoying it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-04-21, 14:03

I can't drive. At all. Ever.

I demand that the poll be changed to how many before you fall over. Back when I was single and stupid, I regularly used to drink 12-15 pints of 5.2% beer and walk home.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-21, 14:08

Guess I'm a lightweight, but even if I felt I could drive safely, I wouldn't drive after more than one beer. I'd like to have a little safety margin considering the limit in Denmark is 0.05%.

The funny thing is that I usually get a mild headache after about three to four beers and from then on I get drunk really fast, but if I stay with beer it's almost impossible for me to drink myself under. I need booze for that.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-21, 14:23

This poll is flawed, as I've seen video that demonstrates even regular drinkers have a visibly reduced ability to stay inside lanes, make quick decisions, etc, after 12oz (!) of beer. Also the "per hour" thing is totally off because a) we don't know how many hours; and b) anyone who drinks 3 beers an hour for 2 or more hours, isn't going to be in any shape to drive, even if they're not "drunk" by manly standards.

IOW, I know many people (including myself) who can have 3-5 pints in a relatively short period, and be able to walk, talk, and think straight, but still shouldn't be getting behind the wheel. Especially at night.

New Poll, New Poll! I say the correct question is:

How many beers or glasses of wine can you have in the span of 3 hours (typical party or bar visit), and not give visible signs of being drunk (slurred or incorrect speech, tripping over stuff, spilling stuff (!), etc)? Maybe even work in the "with finger food" / "without finger food" angle.

...into the light of a dark black night.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-04-21, 23:20

I guess it depends on how you define 'tolerance' in this case..

I kind of assumed it was the limit at which you cease to function in any useful way!

I would not of course drink 5 cases of beer and think I could drive.. I may have driven in that state in the past (and got away with it), but would not today.. You can link that to the onset of age and cowardice responsibility.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-04-21, 23:53

I just turned 21 not too long ago. But even one drink is enough to keep me from driving.

Not because I'm necessarily incapable, but because it's simply not a risk I'm willing to take.

The closest I did was a large glass (maybe 20 oz.) of about 25% Bailey's and 75% chocolate milk (hey, it's tasty). Then, 3 or 4 hours later, I drove my friends and I to IHOP. I had the drink around 10:30 PM, and we didn't leave for IHOP until about 2 AM. I figured that little alcohol over that much time was probably safe. Maybe I'm young and dumb.

If I'd had anything more, IHOP would have waited for another night.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-04-21 at 23:53. Reason: Grammar for the win
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-04-22, 06:45

Nobody should drive after 3 beers in an hour, even watered down "lite" domestic stuff.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-04-22, 10:22

Alright... because it hasn't been quoted yet: "Those who drink don't count. Those who count don't drink."

I would like to add I won't drive a car after more than one (I can count that high, at least)... too many friends who have had loved ones lost to pure stupidity.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-04-22, 10:53

Yeah, I don't get what drinking and driving has to do with whether you're a lightweight or a heavyweight.

I would edit the poll, but I'm assuming plenty of people have voted on it, and they either ignored the "drive" part and voted high, or paid attention to it and voted low. So I'm closing the poll. It's pointless and stupid. Sorry, BuonRotto, I don't think you are pointless, just the poll itself. If I were to change it to "how many can you have before you can't stand up" the results would change dramatically.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-22, 10:57

Yeah, I see Luca's point. In my post at least, I was talking about drinking in general. If I knew I was going to be driving, I would never have even one drink. If anyone in all seriousness answered anything more than 'pansy' and drank more than that before driving, you don't deserve to have a license.

Edit: and furthermore, I'd personally view you as scum and I would hate you unconditionally forever for drink driving. Strong words, but drink driving is the most retarded thing anyone could do.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-22, 12:36

Thank you Luca. Driving after taking alcohol - any amount of alcohol - is inexcusable. Thankfully it is also now socially unacceptable in most parts/cultures of the UK.

Here is a drink driving ad from Northern Ireland (aired around Christmas 2000). I couldn't find a better quality copy, so sorry about that. Press pause and wait for it to load fully if your connection is slow.

Link. (Be warned: this was only broadcast after 9 pm due to its emotional impact. But it seems that drink drivers must be beaten over the head with this stuff to understand it. This ad was made by the McCann Erickson agency and won numerous awards including best public service ad in the world at the Hollywood Radio and Television Awards. I hope you can see details like the flower being sliced off in this low-quality version.)

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-22, 13:24

Nice ad. Much better than Canadian ads I see.

It's really a pity there's not quite as many ads on American channels. And if there were, they're not as strong as this.

No, I didn't see the flowers being sliced off, sorry.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-22, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Edit: and furthermore, I'd personally view you as scum and I would hate you unconditionally forever for drink driving. Strong words, but drink driving is the most retarded thing anyone could do.
Qft. Drink Driving is (and I can personally attest) horrific, and the -eventually inevitable -consequences are testement to this.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-22, 13:55

That is a good ad. Too bad the American media machine is too chicken-shit to put anything on that "might upset" people... you know like this ad, or soldiers' coffins, body parts on the streets of Darfur or Somalia or anywhere else there are murderous thugs running around scot-free.

You know there's just no room for these sorts of upsetting things. And now back to: people sitting in a vat of maggots for cash prizes; Donald Trump and Rosie; and blurry shots of Brittney's crotch. I hate the fucking media. I really wish I could round up all the people who promote this kind of hypocritical thinking and are only too happy to spin our news and peddle shit 24 hours a day, as long as it sells lots of ads... and fucking transmogrify them into the next dimension.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-22, 14:02

Those sorts of ads are the very things that may make a dent. We're too pussified over here in our depiction of "the worst that could happen". Well, it's my opinion that lots of folks ignore or gloss over these messages and need a sharp knock on the head.

I was at a concert in Knoxville last night (yeah, Lucinda Williams...again ) and it dawned on me how many drunk-off-their-rocker people were there (the theater served alcohol: beer, wine and hard liquor throughout the event) and I couldn't help but think "how are some of these asshats getting home...and will I get out of the parking lot safely without them running into me or my car?".

I'm taking entire groups of people obviously hammered (no "designated driver" to be seen).

It wouldn't surprise me if a a few people from the show last night woke up this morning either in jail or the hospital (or didn't wake up at all).

I blame the people for going back again and again, coming back with both hands holding cups of whatever (and then leaving again in 15 minutes to get some more). But, frankly, I also blame the theater because you know what? It cast a blanket on the entire show a bit because security had endless encounters with loud drunks talking, getting up and standing in the aisles, going up to the stage to stand and linger (this wasn't a "stand up and party" rock concert), people spilling drinks on others, a couple of shoving incidents/standoffs, etc.

You introduce alcohol into a place like that (a Saturday night, many people already buying into the whole "gotta get fucked up to enjoy a concert" mentality, guys looking to show off in front of their idiot girlfriends or wives by acting tough and "bad ass", etc.) and it just brings the enjoyment level down several notches.

Me being me, I even had to tell some people right beside me (who would not shut up and talked - loudly - non-stop through the first four songs) "to STFU or else".

In fact, Lucinda said, from the stage, on two occasions about how some folks needed to be cut off, or commented, in a snarky manner to an annoying guy standing at the edge of the stage and yelling "requests" and trying to touch her, "yeah, dude...have another drink". So it was noticeable to everyone, including the performer on stage.

That venue - and countless others - should seriously review their entire "selling alcohol during shows". This place offered hard liquor as well, so some were getting their quicker and more obnoxiously than just a couple of beers would do.

If they're going to do it, I say "beer only" and implement some sort of system (ticket, wrist bracelet, hand stamp?) where there is an enforcable two-beer limit. Nobody should be able to buy six whiskey/Cokes or whatever in a 90 minute period, but I was seeing that (and the after effects it brought) with my own eyes all evening long.

I know damn well last night, as good as the show itself was, would've been 5x more enjoyable if the number of obnoxious drunks was eliminated.

In fact, I'm writing a letter to the venue to berate them (and their security who took far to long to intervene on some matters) about all this. I wouldn't go back there again - the Tennessee Theater in downtown Knoxville - again. I know beer/alcohol sales is a strong income generator...but at what cost? Well-mannered, respectful folks like me no longer returning...what, just turn the joint over to the shitheads for every act that comes to town and plays there?

All this to say "the alcohol tolerance on some is quite dismal".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-04-22 at 14:21.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-22, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
(...)

Here is a drink driving ad from Northern Ireland (aired around Christmas 2000). I couldn't find a better quality copy, so sorry about that. Press pause and wait for it to load fully if your connection is slow.

Link(...)
Whoa!

That should do the trick. However, I remember seeing a news clip on TV claiming that what drunkdrivers fear most is loosing their license. I guess they simply don't accept the possibility that such a thing as in the ad could happen for them.

But, I'd like to stand by my previous post and admit I will still drive after one beer, under normal circumstances under Danish law. I don't want to pretend any holiness on this topic.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-04-22, 15:10

Pscates, I'm so sorry that those shitheads put a damper on your night out. It's one of many reasons why I don't bother with bar scenes; it seems that it revolves around alcohol much more than as a gathering place to hang up and generally have a good time. That's quite pathetic, if you ask me.

I also have wondered about why bar owners can't be more responsible for their patrons; while we already have a law banning them from serving any more drinks to visibly drunk patrons, that's not good enough, as the point of being too impaired to drink properly is much earlier than point of slurred speech and inability to walk straight.

I'd *love* to open a bar that would have absolutely no parking lot, but has a free courtesy van during hours of operation to pick up and drop off patrons. It wouldn't matter if they came in only to have one drink; as turbulentfurball said, one drink is one drink too many. Having more bars like this, on top of more responsible venues as Pscates described, would do much more for society.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-22, 15:40

Well I wouldn't have minded much if this was a full-on "bar" or club.

But this was nice performing arts theatre, with simply a "bar" set up in the lobby serving pretty much whatever. But it's an old, nice "old timey" theatre (ornate, velvet curtains, carvings and paintings everywhere, carpet, etc. You know the type of place.

I wouldn't have griped if it was an actual bar...I know, going in, to expect a certain level of shitheadification in those places.

So that was the aggravation, the number of people there last night carrying on like it was Jo-Jo's Titty Lounge.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-04-22 at 15:54.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-22, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
(...)

But this was nice performing arts theatre, with simply a "bar" set up in the lobby serving pretty much whatever. But it's an old, nice "old timey" theatre (ornate, velvet curtains, carvings and paintings everywhere, carpet, etc. You know the type of place.

(...)
It was in Tennesee.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-22, 16:09

Agree with Paul that the venues have as much responsibility as the paying customers, with respect to crowd control / drunk driving on the way home / etc. But of course, they make a shitload of money selling all that booz so surely the owner of the theatre won't be having any moderation in his plans. No no, none of that... morons.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-22, 16:30

One person may be able to drive better with a pint in them than others could alcohol-free, but that doesn't change the fact that the same person could drive even better without any alcohol at all. And that's why I don't touch alcohol at all if I'm driving. A pint of beer significantly affects your judgement (distance, speed and risk-tolerance) and slows your reaction times. It also affects your co-ordination (I've seen the results of people writing their name after various amounts of alcohol). You won't feel different after a single pint but tests show that it has an effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
I remember seeing a news clip on TV claiming that what drunkdrivers fear most is loosing their license. I guess they simply don't accept the possibility that such a thing as in the ad could happen for them.
That is true. The recent drink-driving ads in the UK recognise that fact and use the following slogans:
You don't think you'll kill someone, so think about a £5000 fine.
You don't think you'll kill someone, so think about 6 months in prison.
You don't think you'll kill someone, so think about a 12 month ban.
There were also some decent radio ads during the last World Cup:
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...oad/rights.mp3
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...hingrandom.mp3
The "Shame" ad that I linked to had a big effect on attitudes to drink-driving in Northern Ireland. Pre-Shame, many people recognised a major difference between drink-driving and drunk-driving, whereas post-Shame fewer people considered the difference relevant. Pre-Shame 57% of people refused to drive after having one or more units of alcohol, while post-Shame that figure was 67%. In addition, here is a list of how many people in Northern Ireland consider the following activities "extremely shameful" (this was post-Shame):
Shop lifting: 75%
Drug dealing: 94%
Healthy employee phoning sick: 45%
Adultery: 78%
Sexual abuse: 98%
Drink driving: 93%
Speeding: 71%
Tax evasion: 54%
Another point: the legal alcohol limit for driving in the UK is 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. Driving at double that limit increases your risk of being involved in a fatal accident by 50x.

Sobering thoughts.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-22, 16:57

Indeed, I would drive marginally better without a beer inside me, but I guess we have stumbled upon the boundaries of my moral integrity here.

However, if I ever felt any effect from that one beer, even in a situation completely unrelated to driving, I can promise you I would subscribe to your moral standards immediately.