User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes 9: Genius Mixes, Improved Syncing, Home Sharing, Redesigned Store, iTunes LP
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 12:19

Those are the key features, as identified by the Stevenote summary slide.

Genius Mixes: Like Genius Playlists, but for, um, mixes - like a radio station that never ends.
Improved Syncing: More exact ways to sync what you want, like specific genres or artists. App management.
Home Sharing: Share content with up to five computers in your home.
Redesigned Store: "Cleaner layout," full-screen view.
iTunes LP: "Most of what left us when we went from CDs" - liner notes, essays, and the like. DVD-style menus.

Should be available immediately...demoing now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Iago

2009-09-09, 12:21

iTunes LP doesn't have legs. I just cannot see that catching on. Usually I'm more than willing to accede to Apple's superior overview of market demands and demographics, but on this one I worry they have it bang wrong.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
iTunes LP doesn't have legs. I just cannot see that catching on. Usually I'm more than willing to accede to Apple's superior overview of market demands and demographics, but on this one I worry they have it bang wrong.
It's different than what I thought it would be - I thought it would just be like a digital version of the liner notes that you could flip through, Cover Flow-style. It seems like they're charging more for iTunes LP, which is dumb, because iTunes is already more expensive then AmP3. It would be sweet for, say, the Beatles, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-09-09, 12:29

I'm glad to see the improved sharing between machines.
¡Damned!

2009-09-09, 12:30

I like the bonus content for movies. That's half the reason I rent DVDs!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 12:31

Yeah, bonus content for iTunes movies and Facebook/Twitter integration with the Store are two features shown in the demo, came back to add them here. And iTunes 9 will be available today.

Iago

2009-09-09, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's different than what I thought it would be - I thought it would just be like a digital version of the liner notes that you could flip through, Cover Flow-style. It seems like they're charging more for iTunes LP, which is dumb, because iTunes is already more expensive then AmP3. It would be sweet for, say, the Beatles, though.
Yeah, charging more = stupid. I want to buy music. I very rarely just sit and listen to music. I'm always doing something else. I'd flick through it all once and then never use it again.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 12:37

I think the Home Sharing feature is pretty amazing. I'll finally be able to keep my different computers in sync with each other.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-09, 12:42

Is it Cocoa?

Probably not.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Is it Cocoa?

Probably not.

iTunes so needs a total redesign, it's not even funny. I'm hoping this is just paving the way for an "iTunes X."
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-09-09, 12:52

The Home sharing is awesome. I wish this was here last week. My dad wanted some of my music and I had to dig through folders every time he asked for something. Very annoying.

I can't wait to get this.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-09, 12:52

Quote:
iTunes so needs a total redesign, it's not even funny. I'm hoping this is just paving the way for an "iTunes X."
The problem with iTunes is Windows. iTunes X would be nice, and I can see them doing iTunes X on Mac while the Windows users get to stick with iTunes 9 or whatever.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
The Home sharing is awesome. I wish this was here last week. My dad wanted some of my music and I had to dig through folders every time he asked for something. Very annoying.

I can't wait to get this.
I'm excited about that, too. I keep all my music on my wife's MacBook, but it would be nice to be able to sync my apps to my work MacBook. I think this looks just like what I need.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Quagmire
meh

2009-09-09, 13:37

How many people are downloading iTunes 9 all of a sudden? My download is slow as crap....... It blitzed to 25 MB and then all of a sudden 10 minutes later and it finally hit 28 MB.

giggity
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-09, 13:37

ZOMG new icons!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Is it Cocoa?

Probably not.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
How many people are downloading iTunes 9 all of a sudden? My download is slow as crap....... It blitzed to 25 MB and then all of a sudden 10 minutes later and it finally hit 28 MB.
And is iTunes 9 suppose to be in Software update, cause I'm not getting squat. I went to the site and I'm getting nice speeds here, sorry Quag. Almost 1MB/sec even, unheard of for me.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
It may not, but the real reason behind it is that the labels are coming up with their own 'album format' encrusted with DRM, etc.

This is the foil for that.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 13:43

Its not on Apples iTunes download pager either.

[edit] It is on the iTunes + iPod Page, download is extremely slow, less than 30kb/s.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 13:46

Just saw 9 on the download page... aaaaaaand clicking on it did nothing.

To answer your question Quag... uh... everyone?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 13:47

Weird, it came so quick for me. I feel privileged.
SpecMode
Wait what

It'd be nice if they cut off new downloads until traffic dies down a bit - they're getting absolutely swamped right now. I got about 25MB into the download at around 1.5MB/s, and then it completely choked. I'm getting small bursts of around 20KB/s now, but that's about it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 

HE-AAC encoding and playback!

Yes!
Quagmire
meh

2009-09-09, 13:48

Ok I am redownloading it and is faster now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2009-09-09, 13:49

The iTunes 9 page is funny. On one side it says "Coming Soon", yet the download link works.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 13:49

Ugh! I looks like ass on SL. Seriously, the fonts are all screwed up. And when its out of focus the shading looks all goofy. Or is it just me?

I think this is new: there's a "summary of changes" on new Terms & Conditions agreement. I like that ALOT.

chucker

2009-09-09, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I think this is new: there's a "summary of changes" on new Terms & Conditions agreement. I like that ALOT.
They've been doing that for the Store for a long time (and yes, it's great). Are they doing it for the app now?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
They've been doing that for the Store for a long time (and yes, it's great). Are they doing it for the app now?
Uhhh I dunno, the one I saw was for the Store. Ooops, I guess I usually gloss over them because they're so long I never noticed that before. Not for the App, but maybe there weren't any significant changes in iTunes terms.

chucker

2009-09-09, 14:04

Um. Why did they introduce a new, ever-so-slightly different window style?
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-09, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Um. Why did they introduce a new, ever-so-slightly different window style?
I am wondering the same thing. Is this marble? Or yet another window style for the mutt that is MacOS X?
CitizenTony

2009-09-09, 14:11

The window style looks terrible on my MacBook. Grainy and ugly.