Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: 1.11 - The Exploration Update!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.11 - The Exploration Update!
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2016-11-25, 12:35

LOVE the new seed! 2 Ocean Monuments right off to the east – one close enough I could probably make it a part of the center museum path.

Went into the End and scouted around for a while – not a single city. Either they're much more rare now or I got super unlucky.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-25, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
LOVE the new seed! 2 Ocean Monuments right off to the east – one close enough I could probably make it a part of the center museum path.

Went into the End and scouted around for a while – not a single city. Either they're much more rare now or I got super unlucky.
Great! I actually spent an embarrassingly long time generating seeds in AMIDST and comparing with a grid of the chunks I was keeping with the hopes of finding seeds that would have decent terrain nearby. There should also be both a mooshroom island and an snowy/icy expanse nearby. There are a few roofed forests around the perimeter, but unfortunately the nearest mansion I was able to find generated 20,000+ blocks from spawn. That's... probably going to require a portal to reach.

I was actually wondering if the end should be wiped too (I didn't). It's pretty huge (544 MB), and if it's anything like the main overworld, new structures won't generate in existing chunks. Given how much we'd already wandered out there, a trim might be necessary. I can keep just the piece with the enderman farm. Thoughts?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2016-11-25, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
There are a few roofed forests around the perimeter, but unfortunately the nearest mansion I was able to find generated 20,000+ blocks from spawn. That's... probably going to require a portal to reach.
Yeah... luckily my years of Battleship payed off wrt the Woodland Map thing. The Mansion is way out there, but there's a portal out there now in a nearby village. The doorway to the Mansion is busted up due to a ravine, so bring some dirt or ender pearls to get inside. I spent very little time in there. Found a boss, got my totem, then noped the fuck out of that place. It's still unexplored, so go for it y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I was actually wondering if the end should be wiped too (I didn't). It's pretty huge (544 MB), and if it's anything like the main overworld, new structures won't generate in existing chunks. Given how much we'd already wandered out there, a trim might be necessary. I can keep just the piece with the enderman farm. Thoughts?
Yes! I was going to ask earlier if it was possible to just keep the farm and the center island. fwiw, I went to the north into previously unexplored chunks. Nothing (that I could find, anyways).

Also! Clay colors are great. I like that the raw hardened clay has the old, rougher texture still too.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-11-25 at 14:22.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-25, 17:30

Quote:
Yeah... luckily my years of Battleship payed off wrt the Woodland Map thing. The Mansion is way out there, but there's a portal now. The doorway is busted up due to a ravine (I think), but I spent very little time in there. Found a boss, got my totem, then noped the fuck out of that place. It's still unexplored, so go for it y'all.
Already?!

OF COURSE.

Quote:
Yes! I was going to ask earlier if it was possible to just keep the farm and the center island. fwiw, I went to the north into previously unexplored chunks. Nothing.
Because I'm a huge nerd, earlier today I wrote a small program to give me a rough overview of how big the dimensions are. It looks like our end dimension is currently:

Code:
[bsmith@anmc 1.11.x-vanilla]$ python region-minmax.py world/DIM1/region/*.mca Most western region file is world/DIM1/region/r.-8.0.mca at -8 Most northern region file is world/DIM1/region/r.13.-9.mca at -9 Most eastern region file is world/DIM1/region/r.13.-9.mca at 13 Most southern region file is world/DIM1/region/r.-2.10.mca at 10 Possible blocks span (-4608, -4096) to (5631, 7167) x-delta, z-delta is 11264, 10240
I was distracted with some errands earlier, but I'll jump online and trim down the end in just a few minutes.

Quote:
Also! Clay colors are great. I like that the raw hardened clay has the old, rougher texture still too.
I actually have one more local tweak to the colors that I haven't pushed out just yet. I'll finish that off in a few minutes too!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-25, 18:41

I haven't been able to be on and do much with this yet Brad. So you will likely have the chance to prune player profiles. I have company over for the weekend and they aren't the tech types so Minecraft is out for me while they are here. I will try to get a new map generating though. This way we can see the new terrain out there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-25, 19:32

No worries, T! I'm actually looking at trimming the nether and end right now, and I'll prune through the players after this.

So, speaking of trims, would anyone be opposed to me trimming the nether back down to its core portal network? It's grown a bit, too, and trimming means we'll have closer access to new nether fortresses and such.

The whole nether presently at 16.66%:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-11-25, 19:37

Update: I got enough confirmation from folks in-game, and I've already trimmed the nether down to this:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-25, 23:09

Do it to it, Lars!

I'm all for whatever, provided the End is left in tact as far as the XP trap is concerned. Trimming the Nether down to the guts is also the way to go, and glad you did it.

Looking forward to some time on tomorrow night.

Love. It.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-25, 23:23

Cool! Trim away. Same for The End if you can leave the core chunks. I will miss my library I built, but I can build another.

Also, I needed a visitor break so I moved the players -mtime +60 to a new folder called old. there is a list in my home folder called list.txt.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-26, 01:52

You know, just looking at that Nether image makes me realize what a crap-ton of work we've put into the Nether Hub. I hope we never have to rebuild that thing.

But, if we do, I have some ideas for version 3.0.

Grey, I hope you've got lots of time on your hands!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2016-11-26, 02:49

Dont taze prune me bro!

I'm alive.
¡Damned!

2016-11-26, 13:08

This trim really took in all the right ways.

The 'ghost' villages/pyramids are still carried over from previous worlds, which are just great fun to stumble across, and I just went out to the Nether trim wall where I knew a previous fortress was, and it's moved over too! Actually it intersected with a new fortress, and the new one doesn't have any of the wonkiness of the last trim (missing spawners, etc). So that's great.

The End trim looks to be working as well. Even in previously explored areas new Cities are popping up, though I haven't been in there long enough to discover if any old ones carried over. I doubt it... they'd just be floating in space between islands.

Also, speaking of previously explored areas, we found llamas in a wiped area that was heavily explored. That didn't happen the last time with polar bears (they only spawned in previously unexplored areas), so maybe the new seed fixed all that.

Anyways, fun!

MAJOR UPDATE: I no longer get set on fire exiting the CommEx portal. Best. Upgrade. Ever.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-11-26 at 20:53.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-26, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Dont taze prune me bro!

I'm alive.
If you have been on in the last 60 days you should be fine. I'm pretty sure you have, but if not and you were pruned, let me know what you need given to you and I'll give you loot back. In your case I'd likely put it in a chest at your place or something.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-29, 10:51

Ok, what gives?

So, I toss an end pearl into a random dragon-gate-thing in the End and *POOF*, I'm teleported to some random location out in the End. Except, there's no ground below me. I fall and fall and fall and "kscherer fell out of the world".

The only portal I trust is the eastern portal. I've lost too much stuff to even try any others. Fortunately, I am in the process of collecting the last of the End loot I am after, and will no longer have need to venture there. Unfortunately, the End is finally fun to explore, with more than just trees to go after. I dare not try any other portals unless I am totally naked.

Ideas?

¡Damned!

2016-11-29, 13:05

I think maybe the portals from the old seed are matched with a specific location/coords. I haven't fallen yet, but I did land precariously on a tiny island my first time trying the new seed. Apparently new sister portals don't appear any more? Thank Notch for ender pearls or I would've had to jump into the abyss.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-29, 13:38

Grey and I discussed the issue in-game and think the easiest fix might involve a little fix-em-up party that will require an admin's help. Basically, admin goes through the portal and builds a platform on the other side to land on, then bridges to the closest large island. Us nudies can follow through after the platform is in place to make sure it works for the little people.

Otherwise, Grey's awesome End clock-compass thing is a nice decoration with little other purpose , which would be sad, because it's very cool, took a lot of work, and serves (or served) a very useful purpose.

Any takers?

¡Damned!

2016-11-29, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Otherwise, Grey's awesome End clock-compass thing is a nice decoration with little other purpose , which would be sad, because it's very cool, took a lot of work, and serves (or served) a very useful purpose.
Well, it still works, just instead of "portal XII takes me to this cool End city" it's now "portal XII will kill me by dropping me into the void". Some of the portals do still connect to land, but it will take some dying to figure out which ones do and don't. I've been lucky so far with the roulette wheel.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-30, 10:32

If Brad doesn't beat me to it I'll try to get in there and build platforms. Maybe even during my lunch break today. I've been wanting to get on again anyway.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-30, 10:42

Many thanks

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-30, 12:51

Fixed. 709 is still running around polishing things in The End. Now you won't fall to your death either way.
¡Damned!

2016-11-30, 15:16

Thanks again for doing that.

I put a small landing pad around each portal and put stairs & paths in where needed, plus cleaned up the other endstone paths we tried before you reset the buggy ones.

I'm afk in The End now, so if you want to pop back in whenever and turn off the madness, I'd appreciate it.

[edit]: Would you kill me as well? Thanks.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-11-30 at 15:29.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-30, 16:48

So that I wouldn't get points for killing you (if there is such a thing) I dug out the ground under you and let you fall out of the world.

Glad to help and even more so that I was available to help! We even managed to get all the portals working the way they are supposed to.

¡Damned!

2016-11-30, 18:34

Anyone else feeling like their armor is nerfed in 1.11? I swear it's lost some durability.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-11-30, 19:48

Quote:
Anyone else feeling like their armor is nerfed in 1.11? I swear it's lost some durability.
Yes. I took quite a bit of damage tilling under some End cities, but I've taken more in mines and fortresses and suffered far less damage. Either the armor is weaker, or the mobs are stronger. Perhaps both.

Also, thanks for handling that thing. I was busy all day and couldn't get on. So happy that the issue is fixed. Thanks T and 709!

¡Damned!

2016-11-30, 20:49

T deserves the thanks. He figured out how to break and make new again the home portals... all I did was stand on the far side of each outer portal to yell through the radio whether it was fixed or not.

Of course I prettied the place up after that, but I would've done that anyway.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-11-30, 21:40

I put a Wither Skeleton spawner in the white box. You can get there like you were going to the old Mushroom Island. Walk to the end of the brick and take the ladder to the ground floor. I'm going to make the spawned inflict some damage on the Wither Skeletons so they are able to give XP without having to fight them. For now, have fun if you are so inclined.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-12-01, 18:44

First, the new End portals look great! Thanks again for settling that problem.

Also, sometimes the return from the End outland areas back to the main hub will result in respawning with your legs stuck in the endstone ring, which means you drop straight through and fall to the ground. Unfortunately, there are 4 or 5 portals with nothing below them other than empty space, so be careful. I strongly suggest traveling with an end chest and unloading any loot into that chest before returning through an unprotected portal.

The system is a bit fidgety and the potential for Russian-roulette style disaster still exists, even after Turtle and 709 fixed the outer portals. Returning is still a bit sloppy, and it appears there is no fix that does not involve adding some platforms below those portals that aren't quite safe. At the end of the day, the easiest thing to do is unload everything into an End chest (including armor) and toss yourself off a cliff.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-12-02, 00:04

Which portals need help? I thought we managed to make all of them safe. If you can post the numbers maybe we can make it better.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-12-02, 00:47

The outer portals are fine (the ones you and 709 fixed). The boogered up stuff is around the main ring (with the fancy numbers) at spawn. I came back in from the Outlands (I'm gonna call it that) and dropped through the endstone down onto the main island. Fortunately, there was ground below me. However, if you run around that clock-compass-ring, some of the portals are sitting over empty space, so if the problem happens there, you die!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-12-02, 09:44

Interesting. I came back on a rail once but never over the void. Maybe we can have another lower but wider ring. Make it count in the opposite direction too.