AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

bluetooth mouse not working

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
bluetooth mouse not working
juggling_islander

2006-04-28, 09:20

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on applenova!

I got a trust (yes, I know but it was very cheap and came with good reviews) mini bluetooth mouse MI-5300m in the post this morning.

Switched it on, the red scanning light came on and it behaved like a normal optical mouse (with no cable or computer connection). That was good. I then pressed the connect button and tried to get OS X to connect to it. By default Bluetooth Setup Assistant uses a blank passkey. This failed so I tried no passkey (in "Any device" options) and got this:
Gathering information about your device

The computer needs information about your device to determine how it can interact with it. This should only take a few seconds.
Continue
then instantly:
Congratulations! Your computer is now set up to use your Bluetooth mouse.
Quit
But the mouse doesn't appear in any of the bluetooth or mouse settings. It has also stopped scanning when I move it over things. (The red light just briefly appears when I switch it on now.)

Any ideas what is going wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-29, 17:47

Hey, welcome juggling_islander!

Go up to the top of your screen and click on the Bluetooth icon (the jagged B with 3 dots) and click browse device; do you see your mouse on the list?

If you do then it means that there is something wrong with your mouse itself, as the computer can detect it but the mouse dosen't send any info.

If you don't than it means that the computer can't connect, in which case I would keep trying your options (set-up assistant, verify permissions, reboot, stuff like that. )

Hope that helps!

WLP
juggling_islander

2006-04-29, 19:00

Since I last posted I have tried booting into ubuntu linux and the mouse works perfectly (after a few lines of terminal commands) so there is no hardware problem.

If I select "browse files" from the bluetooth menu the mouse pops up but (obviously) I can't browse the files stored on it (there are none).

When I use Bluetooth Setup Assistant it correctly identifies the mouse as a mouse but it assumes that mice use a blank passkey and fails. (The mouse seems to not use a passkey at all.)

To get around this problem I chose "Any device" at the start in Bluetooth Setup Assistant. This then allows me to choose "no passkey" at the next screen. Clicking continue a couple of times brings me to "Congratulations! Your Computer is now set up to use your Bluetooth mouse."

That sounds great but it is lying. The cursor does not respond, the mouse doesn't appear in the "Keyboard and Mouse" system preference pane, the mouse does not appear in any list of paired bluetooth devices, the bluetooth icon does not show a connection and the mouse is still in connect mode (looking for a computer to pair with). I know the mouse is still trying to connect because the scanning red light is off (except for short flashes when I switch it on and off).

Quote:
If you do then it means that there is something wrong with your mouse itself, as the computer can detect it but the mouse dosen't send any info.
I don't understand why if the mouse pops up in "Browse Device..." there would be a problem with it?

Quote:
If you don't than it means that the computer can't connect, in which case I would keep trying your options (set-up assistant, verify permissions, reboot, stuff like that. )
I tried this again on a friend's iBook this afternoon and it had exactly the same problem.

I'm currently filling out an Apple bug report.

Thanks for your suggestions.
juggling_islander

2006-05-10, 08:37

I got it working by installing 10.4.0 then upgrading to 10.4.6.

I've filed an apple bug report so hopefully 10.4.7 will work without any problems.