Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Quicksilver vs. Spotlight

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quicksilver vs. Spotlight
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-15, 23:23

I have the latest adc build (8a425), and have been playing around with the new features. I've found that Spotlight is great when I want to find something specific, but I can't imagine it as a replacement for Quicksilver. I use Quicksilver much more, mostly for launching programs. I only use Spotlight once in a while, like when I want to search my PDF archives of National Review.

So... How many of us will quit using Quicksilver when we get tiger? I know I won't. Spotlight just isn't fast enough for pulling up programs... I'm on a Rev. D 12" PB.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-15, 23:49

Of course, Spotlight isn't meant to be an application launcher. It's meant as a search tool. That is doubles as a launcher because it returns applications in searches is a mere convenience.

Applications like Quicksilver will still have a place in Tiger.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2005-04-15, 23:49

First off 8A425 isn't the latest. Second you are comparing Beta software vs an offical release. Build 8A428 was supposed to be GM, so we should see spotlight get faster. But, there is Build 8A432. Many speculate it is 10.4.1. Some say 10.4.1 would of been 8B432. Just have to wait intill my copy arrives on the 29th and see what build it is.

EDIT: What Brad said as well.

giggity
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-15, 23:54

Quicksilver is way too complex though. I can't figure out how to use it. I'm sure it's great if you want to take the time to figure out how everything works and what to do with all the preferences, but I prefer the simplicity of Spotlight. Cmd-space, type, done. Quicksilver is a niche product that may get a small following, but by the time everyone has Spotlight, its user base will dwindle even more. Think Audion, around the time iTunes was released.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-04-16, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
First off 8A425 isn't the latest.....
8A425 is the latest version that is available to download for developers FYI.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 00:03

8a425 is the latest ADC build. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Apple is keeping 8a428 (gm) tight to prevent early distribution. The last build I installed was 8a393. 425 is much quicker to index, but around the same speed to search. I don't expect to see much improvement.

Luca: I love Quicksilver... I don't even use the advanced features, just the launcher part. F8-**first few letters of program's name**-Return. For anything more advanced, Spotlight is better. But for launching, I can't imagine anything as quick as QS.

EDIT: Nosfera, ya beat me!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-04-16, 00:07

I don't get this either/or talk.

"I've found that Spotlight is great when I want to find something specific"
That's what it's meant for.

"but I can't imagine it as a replacement for Quicksilver."
It's not meant to be a replacement for Quicksilver. It's not a launcher (despite that it can be used as one).

Where in Apple's marketing does it suggest that it is a launcher? It is a file searching and categorizing utility first and foremost.

"I use Quicksilver much more, mostly for launching programs."
Quicksilver is a launcher. Spotlight is much more.

"I only use Spotlight once in a while, like when I want to search my PDF archives of National Review."
...or anything in any file. Why limit yourself to PDF?

"How many of us will quit using Quicksilver when we get Tiger? I know I won't. Spotlight just isn't fast enough for pulling up programs..."
Spotlight isn't a launcher. Use both Quicksilver and Spotlight all you want.

p.s. I like LaunchBar better than Quicksilver, which tries too hard to be cool.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 00:16

Sorry for the trouble, then. I just remember posts on various boards about how Quicksilver is the closest thing to Spotlight we'll have until Tiger (implying that Spotlight would be a replacement for Quicksilver), and one recently about how the next version of Quicksilver would require Tiger, with the commentary of how Quicksilver apparently wasn't going to fade without a fight (another implication of the same).

I am using both Quicksilver and Spotlight. I just got the idea that a lot of people (maybe who hadn't used a tiger build yet, and had only seen the super-snappy MWSF-style demos) who had been using QS planned to get rid it when Tiger arrived. Sorry for the apparent misconception.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-04-16, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400
EDIT: Nosfera, ya beat me!
Just call me Drew.
jsk173

2005-04-16, 02:24

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but Spotlight seems like a great improvement that will simplify finding and opening files. (I hate needing to open folders and/or keep folders in the Dock.)

That said, instead of having to click in the upper right corner, is there any reason why a Spotlight search box can't be installed right in the menu bar to make it even more simple/accessible? (Meant as a question, not complaint.) Thanks.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 02:27

it is in the menu bar
you can also access it with a simple command-space
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 02:33

He means having the text entry box in the menu bar, not just the icon to click on.

But yes, Cmd-space will bring it up quicker.
jsk173

2005-04-16, 03:05

So you can hit Cmd-Space and just start typing a search term, or do you have to click into the text box to start? Thanks.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-16, 04:00

Just cmd-space then type. The down and up arrow keys will select the items that are displayed in the list and pressing return will launch them. Also you can specify certain folders you don't want to search, and you can use the Spotlight prefs to tell it which file types to search for and in what order they should be displayed. So you could theoretically disable everything except applications, making it purely an application launcher. Applications are already listed first by default, though.
jsk173

2005-04-16, 04:10

Thanks. Sounds like a huge improvement. Looking fwd to it.
Arnel

2005-04-16, 16:25

Also, from what I can see, even if you click on the Spotlight icon, your text cursor is automatically put in the Spotlight field so you can start typing right away rather than have to click on the icon, click in the text box and then start typing (which, I think, is what you were getting at).

I'm wondering how well it would work as an app launcher... I've been using Launchbar for ages, and I like the way I can just type a few letters and it centres on the correct app, even if those letters aren't strictly the first few letters of the name (i.e. I'll type in AAU for Airport Admin Utility, DU for Disk Utility, KN for Keynote, and so on). Will Spotlight work this way, or will there still be a call for Launchbar even with Tiger?

Neil.
a.k.a. Arnel
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel
I'm wondering how well it would work as an app launcher... I've been using Launchbar for ages, and I like the way I can just type a few letters and it centres on the correct app, even if those letters aren't strictly the first few letters of the name (i.e. I'll type in AAU for Airport Admin Utility, DU for Disk Utility, KN for Keynote, and so on). Will Spotlight work this way, or will there still be a call for Launchbar even with Tiger?
There's another thread on this very topic here.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-16, 16:47

Thanks for pointing that out LudwigVan, I didn't realize there were two concurrent Spotlight threads going on. I merged them and put it in Apple Products.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-16, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Thanks for pointing that out LudwigVan, I didn't realize there were two concurrent Spotlight threads going on. I merged them and put it in Apple Products.
No problem.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-16, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel

Neil.
a.k.a. Arnel
I think the biggest thing for Launchbar and related utilities is their ability to drill down and narrow results, once you have an initial search. For example, if you wanted to search for a type of document, it can bring it up, and you can hit the right arrow, then drill down, search again, and keep narrowing down. Another example would be searching for a folder, then doing a search within the folder for something else.

Another thing I use Launchbar for quite a bit is navigating through the file hierarchy - start at a target folder, and then move my way up and down folders as needed. I find it much quicker than having to deal with the Finder to do the same.

As others have stated, they are very complimentary utilities, rather than one being a replacement for another.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-04-16, 17:52

The thing about LaunchBar, and maybe Quicksilver too (haven't check that one out), is that it learns your abbreviations and typing shortcuts as you go. So you can type "ps" and it will learn that you mean "Photoshop" and not "psychology." Spotlight AFAIK has no such mechanism to track your patterns.

Don't forget that Spotlight can save your search criteria as smart folders (or smart whatevers) too. This means you can make a quick search, bit if you find yourself looking for the same kinds of things over and over, you can save it right there without opening up something else, or going through a series of steps a la the Finder's old advanced search and add criteria then or later.
NaMo4184

2005-04-18, 12:25

I use quicksilver all the time but not really as an application launcher its much more than that.

You can do stuff like this:

if i want to email a document you can hit ctrl + space, find the document tab over, type first couple of letters of that person's name in your address book and hit enter. very fast.

You can even do stuff like send IM's. Anything with address book or in ichat or adium. Pretty faste.

I have my sogudi short cuts in it so i can search quickly from any application. This can be very useful when you are writing a paper and you want to use a thesaurus or dictionary really fast

Use it to control itunes (coolest thing in my opinion)

I use it to turn off my computer, log out, empty the trash, eject cds.

Basically, if my hand is on the mouse i use the mouse because its fater, if my hands are on the keyboard I use quicksilver because its faster.

The problem with Quicksilver is that the documentation really isn't quite up to snuff. I read all of the documentation a few times before i found the program useful. But once you find the usefulness of it you become more eager to learn what else you can get out of it.

From what i can do with quicksilver now, once automator actions are here it will be out of this world.

So no not only do i not think Tiger replaces quicksilver I think adding automator actions and maybe using spotlight as a catalog will greatly enhance quicksilver. Actually the developer said that newer version will be Tiger only because of all the goodies in 10.4.

my .02 cents

John Coltrane's 'Giant Steps'
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-04-19, 16:48

The only thing that worries me a little (not much) is that that's ANOTHER thing I'm going to want mapped to spacebar... So far, I have Ctrl-Space for playpausing iTunes, command/option-Space (various combinations) for switching languages when I want to randomly type in Japanese, and Ctrl-Alt-Space for Quicksilver. I don't know what I'm going to do with Spotlight...

I'm just quietly looking forward to Spotlight, Automator, Dashboard, everything else in Tiger, and how Quicksilver's going to take advantage of them all