Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

CloudFlare DNS Screws Up Apple's Continuity Feature

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CloudFlare DNS Screws Up Apple's Continuity Feature
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-04-12, 19:31

I noticed a day or so ago that my Mac had stopped offering to take calls from my phone.

Finally poked around with it a bit tonight and recalled that I recently changed my computer's DNS to the CloudFlare numbers 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 – so I went back and removed them and fiddled around with FaceTime on the Mac and it all seems to be working again.

I am (however) uncertain that I had to remove those new DNS numbers from my computer.

It might have been that I only needed to 'reset' FaceTime by using it from my computer to my phone.

Still, now that it's working again I'm reluctant to change back.

EVERYBODY here is smarter than me about this stuff, so what do you think?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2018-04-12, 19:54

Ooh that's interesting because I had been thinking about doing the same, but got wrapped up in some other stuff and forgot about it. I'm curious if there's a 'boink' in there somewhere as well.

Info link for those curious.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-04-13, 08:04

I put the CloudFlare DNS on my Time Capsule to use for my home network and I noticed the speeds dropped drastically. Netflix wouldn't even stream properly.

Switched back to the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and it's been fine since, but I still like the idea of CloudFlare. May just put it on a device by device basis and see hwo that goes.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-04-13, 08:32

Once my schedule drops off again I'll experiment some more to see if I can track down the issue - for now I just need my ecosystem to work smoothly!

There ought to be a term for that period of time between when you get your system worked out smoothly and you are forced to upgrade to catch back up to the latest OS and app versions.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-13, 10:49

I love the privacy stance they tout but I'm pretty engrained in the features of OpenDNS still. I use the free one for now, but have paid in the past.

I should say they are actually my secondary provider, I use Pi-Hole as my DNS server for the house. Easy to set up and no ads on any device. Also a snap to blacklist any site, let alone ad/tracking companies.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-04-13, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I use Pi-Hole
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-04-13, 17:02

But seriously, I have a Pi-hole in my house too. It's a great use of a Raspberry Pi that I inherited from a project at work a couple years ago! It's by far the best way I've found for blocking ads and crap across all of the devices on our network, including our iPhones, and it means I don't have to fiddle with things on my wife's computer to make it behave for her too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-05, 20:21

I found out what was happening!!!

Looky!!

AT&T explains why it blocked Cloudflare DNS: It was just an accident

Kensuke

2021-04-01, 19:17

i just changed my DNS address and readded the WIfi in the control center after deleting it. Worked just fine.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-02, 11:08

I contacted customer support in Toledo and they helped me through the problem.
Sandalphon
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-04-03, 13:24

I have heard of similar issues before from some of my friends. They were facing issues with accessing their websites through Mac and it was apparently an IP issue. It wasn't a hard one to solve. It took a few Google searches and after a couple of articles by potatoes we were able to understand how to get a dedicated IP for their domain. On top of that they even realized that there were better hosting services than the ones they already had. Pretty much they ended up changing provider as they were going to save 40 % on the new plan. Pretty impressive!

Go away spammer!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-04-03 at 20:37.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-03, 20:07

We seriously need a Toledan filter.