User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 136 of 221 First Previous 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 13:38

Nope. Remote controlled death-bots are a bad idea, 'cause they're gonna get hacked. AI bots are worse, 'cause they're gonna hack themselves.

I'm telling you guys right now. This stuff is going to come back to bite us square in the can, and in a very bad way.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-05, 15:15

Walter Gretzky - father of Wayne - has died. I always liked him as sporting dads go. Not overbearing or obnoxious, modest in the extreme. If anything a little too much in his own lane. He taught one of the greats a different way too see the game, but wasn't in a hurry to monetize it or get his own fame. Stayed in his home town, and seems his greatest guilty pleasure was his own collection of his son's memorabilia.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-16, 11:12

Holy crap!

I've been over that bridge several times, and that is a long drop (they were a hundred feet up), and no way they would have survived.

I can't think of many things scarier than hanging over the edge of a bridge in the cab of your truck wondering when the chains are going to break. Those folks looked right at death and get to tell their grandkids all about it. Pay attention, folks.

Pure Hollywood thriller, right there. All the bits: Older couple; bad accident; hanging over a cliff; heroes! Man, I'm just … yeesh!

AND!

Now you know how strong those RV trailer safety chains are.

Video

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-17 at 12:35.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-17, 13:02

That is amazing. I wonder how often they will drive with a trailer now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-17, 14:57

Most likely they were driving too fast, or went to "sleep" at the wheel.

I tow a trailer, but I don't let myself get over 60mph, even though my 5.7L Tundra will easily yank it over 70. I just don't do it. 60 is plenty fast enough with an RV on the back.

The accident details are still under investigation, so I can't place any blame. However, the most common cause of truck/RV trailer accidents is driving too fast and getting a good dose of swaying, then getting yanked off the road by your own trailer.

I've experienced trailer sway once, and it was not good. You don't want it. We were loaded wrong and driving too fast.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-03-19, 08:16

Speaking of towing, check out what happens when you forget to take your Jeep out of 4L before towing it!

Quote:
The Jeep’s transfer case had been left in its low range and the transmission in first gear, which means its rotating wheels had caused the V6 engine to spin to approximately 50,000 RPM on the highway, which is slightly more than its 6,600 rpm redline.

Needless to say, the results were catastrophic and Tuten, who is a Mopar master tech who often works on Jeeps, estimated the parts alone would cost $30,000

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-19, 11:55

Yikes!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-03-22, 21:52

Boulder shooting: Gunman kills 10, including police officer, at King Soopers

I used to live directly across the street from this supermarket. I stopped there on my way home from work most nights.

Still waiting to find out if any friends may be among the dead. Police haven't released any names yet.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-03-22, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Boulder shooting: Gunman kills 10, including police officer, at King Soopers

I used to live directly across the street from this supermarket. I stopped there on my way home from work most nights.

Still waiting to find out if any friends may be among the dead. Police haven't released any names yet.
Good god, dude, I hope none of your friends are among the list. Pleas let us know how you're holding up.

One thing I hate about good weather and lowering of some restrictions is the mass shootings seem to be coming back.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-03-23, 10:24

Police just released the names of the victims, none I knew personally.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-10, 14:39

The Colonial Pipeline was hit with Ransomware. Ouch. This could really hit people from Alabama up through the I-85 corridor from what it looks like.

The short version is that prices of gas will go up if the endpoint distribution centers run out before the main pipeline is restored. There are a number of various versions of the story floating around out there. It just means I'm filling my vehicles up today before it actually becomes a problem for my family.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-10, 15:13

Best thing that could happen would be for our critical infrastructure be removed from the internet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 15:47

I'm sure this is just an isolated, one-time-only/fluke thing and won't ever become an ongoing, pain-in-the-ass.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-13, 10:27

Funny thing about this situation is the number of people who said it won't be a problem and not to rush out and fill up your cars. Well, last night it was reported that 42% of the stations in SC were out of fuel. If your tank was already low you are in trouble. The number of people I know who only put $5 in at a time is staggering. I used to assume everyone "filled up" but that isn't the case it seems.

The pipeline reports to have resolved the ransomware issue and opened the services back up... but it will take up to a week to have full service resumed after this. Yeah, I might not have needed to fill up on Monday but I also didn't run our of gas this week nor will I next week.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-13, 12:52

Bloomberg says they paid the $5M ransom.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-13, 20:52

I'm sure that is a drop in the bucket for them... and yet gas stations still ran out of fuel due to this.
¡Damned!

2021-05-14, 19:58

People are crazed now after the pandemic hoarding. Like, any little thing goes *boink* and people are lining up to gas stations with backyard trashcans ready to fill them up to ride out the coming drought. Trash bags too! Fill 'em up and load the trunk with explosives.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-14, 20:19

I knew people were idiots but HOLY CRAP REALLY?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-14, 20:58

“Lemme get .86 on pump 7…naw, PREMIUM, bitch!”

The Craigslist ad is already up.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-05-14, 23:12

Damn that is cheap as fuck gas.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-15, 06:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm sure that is a drop in the bucket for them... and yet gas stations still ran out of fuel due to this.
Apparently, the software tool they got back from the ransomware guys was so slow they didn't bother to use it and reverted to older backups. Which kinda makes paying the ransom absolutely useless, since more infrastructure is probably going to get targeted now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-15, 06:30

I suspect the payment may have been used as a tool by our intelligence agencies to track down the bad guys. $5M is cheap when it comes to wiping out a threat.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-15, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I knew people were idiots but HOLY CRAP REALLY?
Doesn't gasoline eat that kind of plastic?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-15, 14:19

So remind me again why this kind of infrastructure is even remotely connected to the internet. I cannot think of why it would need to be.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-15, 15:40

The ransomware didn't affect the actual pipeline at all. It just took over the payment system for the fuel, so the fuel could be shipped, but they couldn't charge and receive payments, so they just shut down the pipeline.

Not sure why they couldn't have continued to ship the fuel and then invoiced and processed payments later...

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-15, 16:39

They cannot find an excuse to jack up the price if they don't shut it down.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-15, 17:08

Probably.

Man, there is nowhere to buy gas in Chattanooga. Or, rather, my little section of it right on the Georgia border.

Every pump I've seen for the past 2-3 days has a "no gas" or "out of fuel/service" sign or bag over it. At first, mid-week, it was just the cheaper 87 stuff. But now it's all three. I topped off Wednesday and should be good for a while.

I was going to put some into various sizes of Tupperware, but someone beat me to it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-16, 18:20

I had to go to town today and noticed the QT was out of gas on the main drag near me. There was a Spinx that had fuel still though on the other side of the corner. Don't know if they got fuel first or what, but that is the first time I've seen one of the big stores out of fuel in a long time. It happened in Va Beach, but that was due to lack of power after one of the hurricanes. We would get in line at 2AM when there was no line just to be able to buy gas in under an hour at one of the Wawas that runs a generator.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-05-16, 18:41

How are you even allowed to fill up Tupperware? Surely there is a safety risk? Or is this a Darwin thing?
Dr. Bobsky

2021-05-16, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
How are you even allowed to fill up Tupperware? Surely there is a safety risk? Or is this a Darwin thing?
It sound's like an assured way to win an honorable mention Darwin award, but in a year filled with morons dying because of it, I doubt it would even register as a blip.