User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Glossy or Matte ???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Matte or Glossy, and when?
Makes no difference to me. 3 7.50%
Matte 23 57.50%
Glossy 9 22.50%
Glossy for indoor, Matte for outdoor 5 12.50%
Matte for outdoor, glossy for indoors 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Glossy or Matte ???
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-23, 18:32

OK, thanks to those reading my other thread about my MB v MBP choice. It seems I may not have a choice in the matter any more. I'll be getting the 15" MBP and work is going to re-purpose my beloved Dell desktop machine. Rather than have both a laptop and desktop, the MBP will become my one and only machine. Not a bad trade ...

I could look up some old threads, but now that you've all had some time to work with both glossy and matte screens? Which do you prefer, and under what conditions

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-23, 18:33

I think it pretty much the same as the older threads. Glossy=cool but reflective. Matte=boring but non-reflective.

Arent the last two poll options the same?
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-11-23, 18:48

For laptop, matte all the way, because I can't control the lighting it's going to be used under.

For desktop, I understand the glossy displays can actually have better contrast and color, but then you need to make sure there are no outstanding light sources in view of the display. This sounds too hard considering I've never thought to myself, "This display could sure use some better color and contrast."

So... glossy is a risk of significantly worse experience in exchange for small gain.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-23, 18:56

Eww, glossy laptop displays. I hate them.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-11-23, 19:42

Had glossy loved it. Had to buy a replacement, ended up with a matte, almost as good as a glossy. Partly due to contrast of 2000:1.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-11-24, 00:01

Wow, am I honestly the only person who doesn't care?

I have a MacBook, and I don't even notice a difference from my old matte Toshiba screen. Besides that it's smaller and widescreen and stuff.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-24, 00:04

It's interesting how an image seems to become clearer and richer in color when you laminate it, same as with the glossy screens. Never had the glossy, not sure what it's like. I'm always chasing people away from my iMac's display, it's like a greasy finger magnet. Maybe the glossy is easier to clean...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-11-24, 12:20

Glossy looks good in the store. Matte is far more usable.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-11-24, 12:34

Matte. Period. Glossy is a sales gimmick.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-24, 15:09

I've used the glossy MacBooks at home and at work. Here are my impressions.

Glossy looks good if you have soft ambient lighting in a room with no direct source anywhere above or behind you. So, that makes it work well in certain home environments. Our living room is good for this because of where we just happen to have our lamps positioned.

It looks terrible at the workplace, though, if you have fluorescent lighting all over the ceiling. You'll see a glare from every one of those lights.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-11-24, 15:46

I think the polls got it backwards, I though glossy was ment for outdoors whilst matte was meant for indoors. Glossy screens will help reflect sunlight so it makes it slightly easier to read.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-11-24, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay View Post
I think the polls got it backwards, I though glossy was ment for outdoors whilst matte was meant for indoors. Glossy screens will help reflect sunlight so it makes it slightly easier to read.
This is not paper, which you see better when you apply more light on it. This is an emissive display which shines its backlight through LCD crystals in order to display anything but black. Any light you shine on the display from the outside that is reflected to your eyes makes the backlight dim in comparison, therefore making the display worse to read. Ideally you'd like all your screens to reflect absolutely nothing. The reason "glossy" screens exist at all is that the matte treatment also blocks a little amount of the backlight. Therefore, when there's nothing to reflect, the downside of glossy does not come into play, but it will let through a little bit more of the backlight, resulting in better contrast and color.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-11-24, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
This is not paper, which you see better when you apply more light on it. This is an emissive display which shines its backlight through LCD crystals in order to display anything but black. Any light you shine on the display from the outside that is reflected to your eyes makes the backlight dim in comparison, therefore making the display worse to read. Ideally you'd like all your screens to reflect absolutely nothing. The reason "glossy" screens exist at all is that the matte treatment also blocks a little amount of the backlight. Therefore, when there's nothing to reflect, the downside of glossy does not come into play, but it will let through a little bit more of the backlight, resulting in better contrast and color.
I understand, that is what I meant. But I was in the middle of a biological transport phenomena meeting and could not say more.