User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Music Industry trying to Take rather than Make

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Music Industry trying to Take rather than Make
iDorf

2008-03-30, 16:04

This is so unreal - I can't understand how any 1/2 intelligent person could even consider such insanity!

Warner Music Tax
Jerman

2008-03-30, 16:39

Ridiculous. I would assume if they did this, very little would end up going to the artist. I remember reading an article very recently that stated no artists have received any "Cut" of the money won by the RIAA in their lawsuits. This would be more of the same.

This would penalize all of the honest music buyers out there. Pretty soon the movie industry would be wanting a fee, then games, then ebooks, etc. This would be like taxing shipped packages because they *could potentially* contain copied material. Let's get a phone tax going too, while we are at it, because callers *may* be calling from the sports game they are attending, which is illegal to report on in real time.

Look at Wal-Mart. They lose an estimated $30 Billion per YEAR, or $25 million a day due to theft! This is not electronic theft, it is physical theft, which I still would tend to classify as much worse than making an electronic copy, since there is a direct loss associated to the seller. Yet according to this article:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-2-2006-104236.asp Wal-Mart is pushing for more lax policies on shoplifting! Shrink, theft, whatever you want to call it is an unfortunate aspect of any business, which Wal-Mart realizes, and is taking what I consider to be a level headed approach.

Yes they lose some cash, but if they can maintain a good image to their customers by not treating them as thieves, even though some are, they will retain more sales, and be the "good guys". Would certainly make ME more confident to shop there, especially if somehow I accidentally DID walk out with something.

The entertainment industry continues to post soaring profits, even in a slowing economy. Quit whining, get over it and focus on making great content, not being jerks!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-03-30, 16:45

WTF ?!?! It sounds like "Ok, download illegal songs, you'll be billed via your ISP". I wouldn't like to pay for songs if I must pay the torrent tax at the end of the month.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-30, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerman View Post
Yes they [Wal-Mart] lose some cash, but if they can maintain a good image to their customers by not treating them as thieves, even though some are, they will retain more sales, and be the "good guys". Would certainly make ME more confident to shop there, especially if somehow I accidentally DID walk out with something.
Wal-Mart actually claims to be saving money with the new policy since processing minor thefts was cost-ineffective vis-a-vis the hourly wage of the security people (and the possible distraction of their security staff from catching bigger thieves).

They're still busting as many shoplifters as possible; they're just sending the small-time thieves out the door with a warning instead of spending hours with the police, etc.

As for the music tax idea, it seems absurd. Would I have access to a virus-free catalog of music, or would the tax simply allow me to search the corners of the 'net for pirated music posted by third parties? If only the latter, the tax is not only absurd, it would probably be deemed illegal by the courts.