Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 21 of 25 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2018-05-06, 21:33

I'm still getting the old locations/xp on my end.... anyone else?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-05-07, 17:30

Yeah, it looks like the actual map content hasn't updated in at least a few weeks even though the date appears to be fresh in the little home icon's Render Stats.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but at least this part of Bradtropolis has been updated a bit:

I wouldn't be surprised if I goofed up something when I booped the server to the Forge build. I'm pretty sure I used symlinks in all the right places, and I didn't create a new world directory or anything like that. I'll look around to see if I can find some clues.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-05-07, 19:17

sighs

Yeah, I done goofed, but I'm about to fix it. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-05-07, 19:27

Should be better after the next map processes.

We, uhhhhhhh, might have not had any new backups made since the switch to Forge until now. But the good news is they should be working now.

I double checked this time. 😬

i'm sorry plz don't shoot me

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2018-05-08, 11:33

Maps are nice to have, but backups are better.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 08:03

I think backups might be relevant to what's happening in the server right now and why it's down. We need to move this part of the talk over to the server maintenance thread.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 08:37

So I'll check into the maps again after the cycle that should be running any time now. In fact, I'll force a backup to happen on the MC server now since it didn't happen due to the other issues with the server.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 10:36

I just realized that there have been changes with the Forge thing. I'm going to have to archive the current map and start over again. So this process will take some time to go through since it must start fresh. Also, I need to see if there's been an update to the texture pack since I last put it on the map server, that will also make changes.

So, work on it now while trying to pay attention to my job.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 10:51

If you want to see the most recent completed map, look here.

Edit: or not. Looks like archive maps don't like the forced https. I'll look at that shortly. Starting a fresh map run shortly.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 11:37

Hey Brad,
What breaks on the maps when I force it to go through https rather than plain http? Like, if you go to mc.applenova.com you see if redirect you to the https but the css is broken. I'm assuming something like that is happening with the nginx handling of the archives.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 13:50

So do the maps work outside of my home? As in the one I linked above or linked to through here? Anyone can test and let me know that would be great.

¡Damned!

2018-05-09, 16:48

The old world maps work just fine; the current map shows up but is stuck back in time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-12, 19:05

So it looks like the issue is just in my internal routing then. Great! I can't see the archives but you all can. They really are there for you all anyway.

Maps finished and I'm setting the automation back into operation. You should see maps update again after the 9pm Eastern run.

Code:
Render time: 2 days 13 hours 29 minutes 42 seconds Peak memory usage: 41.0Mb Created on Sat, 12 May 2018 Created at 18:09 EDT
This thing takes forever when you start over.

¡Damned!

2018-08-18, 18:22

Ruh-roh. 'This page can't load Google Maps correctly.'

Opening up the console gives these 2 errors: 'Google Maps JavaScript API warning: NoApiKeys' & 'Google Maps JavaScript API warning: RetiredVersion'

Some Google fuckery with their APIs or no big deal?

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-18, 21:49

Looks like this might be a big deal actually.

Quote:
Warning
You may have supplied a retired version in your script element. The versions 3.0 - 3.30 have been retired, and you might be receiving 3.31 instead. Please update your application to use one of the available versions.
Quote:
Warning
The script element that loads the API has no API key. Please make sure you include a valid API key as a key parameter. You can generate a new API key on the Google Cloud Platform Console.
See Obtaining an API key.

If you are loading Maps JavaScript API from the deprecated v2 path with an old v2 key, you will get the NoApiKeys warning, even if you specified the key parameter. Please check the v2 to v3 upgrade guide and migrate your application to Maps JavaScript API v3.
I'm going to look into what we can do about it but it doesn't look like any of the old maps will work at all either. I don't have the old world files to rebuild them with the tool if the tool gets updated to handle the new API requirement.

I'll update if I find a functional option though not sure how this is going to turn out in the end.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-08-18, 21:49

Actually… this might be the end? I remember reading a few weeks ago that Google was starting to reign in some of its free maps APIs usage. I have no idea, though, if this is specifically what's affecting our maps or some other fluke accident.

edit: Welp, maybe! I was posting at the same time as turtle and didn't see his details yet.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-19, 14:50

I've updated the main map page to a static page so we don't see the API error. Of course, if I get more feedback or am able to get the maps working again I'll update here too.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-24, 09:05

This is from the developer of the map generation program:
Quote:
To test out a possible temporary fix I signed up and got an API key, however I still can't get it to work. The old version of the API we were using is no longer available and there must be changes in the new version that are not compatible.
So unfortunately it looks like it's going to be broken until I have time to port it over to leaflet.js. When that will be I honestly have no idea. I know Overviewer switched to leaflet a while back so I may take a look at their code to see if I can get a jump start on this.
The guy maintaining the code isn't the originator. He picked it up when the original dropped it. Since then he's gotten "a real job", a wife and life so his focus hasn't been on really working this.

Anyone here interested in sending him some cash via PayPal or something as an incentive? I can look at Overviewer again but I didn't like it's ability to be scripted back when I tried them in the past.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-08, 10:26

The developer has looked into maps and we have a glimmer of hope! He thinks he's going to be able to give directions for moving us from Google's API to a different free provider. This also means that hopefully the maps will get updated for future maps and we'll be able to go back to automation as planned.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-11-14, 11:57

So a recent update from the developer of the mapping program. He is expecting to get this corrected in January. While not optimal to wait that long, I'm not really sure I want to switch out yet. I might look at trying one of the other mapping options for the meantime, but there is a fair bit to happen in the background for that kind of change out with the way I have everything scripted.

arteggio

2018-12-04, 14:43

Hey everyone! Long time no see.

In the meantime while we wait for the maps to come back online, are there any old saves that can be referenced? Just to be able to generally gauge landmarks and navigate around the buildings that were carried over into the 1.13.

There's really high bird's eye view of the sectors in the 1.13 thread, but it's so far out I'm having a hard time pinpointing things. I'm looking to build a new castle somewhere!

BTW, thank you Turtle, Brad, and anyone else for your years of work on this server. My Castle Arteggio has been standing for 6-7 years now. It's insane. Visiting it is like going back in time into my adult childhood. 🙂🙏🐢
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-12-04, 14:46

Didn't we burn that thing down last week?

¡Damned!

2018-12-04, 15:02

Any particular biome you're looking to build in? We lack an overhead at the moment but I pretty much remember where a lot of stuff was/is around our central world.

So it goes.
arteggio

2018-12-04, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Didn't we burn that thing down last week?

I'd expect nothing less from this crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Any particular biome you're looking to build in? We lack an overhead at the moment but I pretty much remember where a lot of stuff was/is around our central world.
Thanks for the offer of your memory, 709.

I like grass, trees, mountains, with some access to water. But no jungles. Preferably a little distant from the main towns and cities, but accessible after building some tunnels and bridges, or boats.

I'm currently eying a peak on top of the island near my current castle, but was intending to build somewhere else so the castle aren't together. The mainland matches my biome preferences, but it's very very populated and without a map to guide me, I wouldn't want to claim any land near the current population.
¡Damned!

2018-12-04, 18:22

Gotcha. A few places come to mind that may fit the bill.

•SSE of Tall Town, which has some nice mountains there and ocean front to the east.
•N of the main city and right past where I live. There's a good mtn stretch there and access to water on both sides.
•Where the old Southlantis line ends now. It's reformed with new terrain and if you don't mind some terraforming could be really nice.

I'd be happy to fly over to all these places with you nest time you're ingame.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-04, 19:02

Oh man, just look at this family reunion over here!

I might see what it'd take for a one-time dealio to render a big map and throw it up here...

As for an ongoing regularly-refreshed map, it looks like Minecraft Overviewer is still actively maintained (last git commit on master was 17 days ago), but I haven't seriously looked at it in at least a couple years. Maybe I'll throw that into the mix when checking out some local options.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-04, 19:54

Well, I successfully got Overviewer running locally on a test world, but it only produces angled views. No top-down view. On to the next option!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-04, 20:25

Great success! I was able to build minutor off of its unstable 1.13 branch, and it seems to handle our world files just fine. Once I finish downloading our world (my connection is a bit slow right now), I'll feed it through and upload the massive image somewhere.

It'll look something like this

¡Damned!

2018-12-04, 20:29

Man that ~20 minutes that we all take to get a grip on Elytra is SO stressful... I'm just glad I was there to watch someone else doing it.

Gotta give it to arteggio though, once up and flying he was able to follow/lead like a pro.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2018-12-04, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Great success! I was able to build minutor off of its unstable 1.13 branch, and it seems to handle our world files just fine. Once I finish downloading our world (my connection is a bit slow right now), I'll feed it through and upload the massive image somewhere.
I just want to say, preemptively, I'm sorry. I did go out to check if the mesas were still there. They were. I don't know why I was so concerned. I swore I wouldn't do world bloat this time around yet here I am.

So it goes.