User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple blocks reporters/bloggers at MWSF keynote (split)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple blocks reporters/bloggers at MWSF keynote (split)
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-09, 16:16

Actually, it sounds as though Apple will not let news sites, blogs and other people post news during the keynote. keynoteuser.com is saying that they have blocked net access from within the keynote hall, that Apple is having people patrol the floor to enforce policy, and that press entering the hall have to somehow agree to these terms and not let news out until the keynote is over.

Quote:
from Keynoteuser.com
UPDATE 1/9/05! We've been informed that Apple does NOT allow any news posting during the Keynote now. I guess all the press must agree to terms before entering the hall, and if you're caught running a news feed live to the net, they throw you out. So, if that truly is the case, we'll be blogging offline and the second they let us connect, we'll dump the whole feed to the blog page. At least you'll have a run down of how the show went before Apple has a chance to post the QT video version later in the day. We'll also be leaving the chat link up, but Brian wil probably not be able to get into it except while in line before the show starts.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-09, 16:20

Jeez, that's getting a bit arsey isn't it? Is this keynote going to be massive, or is Apple just trying to super-protect its expo revenues from here on?

bouncy bouncy
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-01-09, 16:21

Makes sense, delay the webcast to save $$ and stop everyone from spoiling what happened until afterwards
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-01-09, 17:21

hopefully somebody with be using a cell phone to get the info out as the keynote progesses....

i love keynote tuesdays...why is apple being so stubborn suddenly??
no feed
no live updates
no fun

what are we IBM?

shit....did IBM buy apple????

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-09, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
hopefully somebody with be using a cell phone to get the info out as the keynote progesses....

i love keynote tuesdays...why is apple being so stubborn suddenly??
no feed
no live updates
no fun

what are we IBM?

g
Oh my damnit

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 18:10

Most Mac nerds, believe Steve Jobs being mad at the leaks, thus cut the livefeed.

But when have they ever been right?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-09, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
According to the above link, if they are found doing so by one of Apple's roving heavies, they will be ejected from the building. Like that would happen though. It would cause a ruckus and be embarrassing if it distracted Steve mid-RDF. I feel like there is bad feeling against Apple at the mo amongst the Mac faithful. Has there ever been hagglers at a MWSF or any other Mac expo?

bouncy bouncy
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-01-09, 19:48

Quote:
Hmmm...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-09, 19:56

If they're truly going to go through the crowd, monitoring people who might be posting updates... what a bunch of Nazi-esque BS. Get over yourselves already, Apple. You should be THRILLED there are millions of users who are chomping at the bit to hear the latest news. You think Dell has users like that, when they make announcements? No.

Trying to stiffle the whole "live update" / streaming thing is arrogant in the extreme IMO. What, is Apple going to "lose trade secrets" because someone posted updates before the show was over? Fuck, I hope someone blackberry's the info online just to spite them.

...into the light of a dark black night.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2005-01-09, 22:04

I think it might have to do with legal and/or financial announcements, something where they have to be very careful lest they get into some sort of trouble. Let's not jump to conclusions and get too emotional about this.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-01-09, 22:14

I hope someone tries getting stuff on their cell. If I got a chance to do it and they tried kicking me out, I'd sit there until a few burly guards had to DRAG me out. I'd cause the biggest scene ever.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2005-01-09, 22:58

Well, it goes to show how broken the relationship is between Apple and its most rabid fans. I mean, it's just snowballed to this point. Fans pry into stuff that Apple wants or needs to keep hidden. So Apple makes draconian NDAs, they sue left and right, etc. So fans start to get nefarious as well, and here we are. Then Apple makes this decision. Then fans want to up the ante in turn. When does it end? What are we trying to prove, ultimately? The only thing this proves is that a lot of people think they are entitled to most inner workings of the company, and Apple is flat out hostile to these people. Great. Nice place to be.

Next step: fire hoses and Malatov cocktails.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 23:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
I think it might have to do with legal and/or financial announcements, something where they have to be very careful lest they get into some sort of trouble. Let's not jump to conclusions and get too emotional about this.
O.K., just so long as we can jump to conclusions afterwards...when there turns out to have been no good reason for all the secrecy.

For now, however, I am expecting to be in agreement with Moogs on this one. Sure there likely will be plenty of exciting new products...I look forward to them...but that is no reason for over the top secrecy. Why is Apple working against the hype, rather than riding it?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-09, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
O.K., just so long as we can jump to conclusions afterwards...when there turns out to have been no good reason for all the secrecy.
In all honesty, despite being implemented in quite the opposite way, the effects of Apple's recent actions reminds me a great deal of the banners Apple used three years ago on its front page. Remember these beauties?

"This one is big. Even by our standards."
"Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away"
"Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond."
"It's like a backstage pass to the future."
"To boldly go where no PC has gone before."
"Full speed ahead. Lust Factor Ten."
"Just one more sleepless night."

Biggest hype-meets-dissapointment ever.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 23:30

Some sort of double-reverse hype?: 'We'll sue them...because they are violating our non-disclosure agreements...indicating that this (or something like it) is coming and that it will be big...thus increasing the hype.' Legal threats as a marketing tool. Perfect.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-09, 23:31

Yeah, we were all expecting flying laptops that year. No joke. It was Ginger (nee Segway) times eight for Mac Fans.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-09, 23:42

Actually, Jobs' is considering my request. I've got a very busy day Tuesday, so I asked him to make sure it all comes out at once. This way I don't need to continuously reload my browser to see what's happening....

Also, AAPL's earnings call is later in the week, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 23:48

Quote:
Next step: fire hoses and Malatov cocktails.
This should only be considered if Jobs does not announce an update to AppleWorks on Tuesday.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-01-09, 23:50

BTW, something just occurred to me. Where are we with Quicktime?

What if QT 7 is actually announced on Tuesday and the webcast can only be downloaded with the new version?

It would be a great way to generate insane numbers of Quicktime downloads and break records...
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-09, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
BTW, something just occurred to me. Where are we with Quicktime?

What if QT 7 is actually announced on Tuesday and the webcast can only be downloaded with the new version?

It would be a great way to generate insane numbers of Quicktime downloads and break records...
17,000 people downloading QT to watch the keynote isnt going to break any records.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-10, 00:10

Quote:
Legal or financial might make sense in the weeks or months leading up to the event. But when someone posts an update as Steve Jobs is uttering the words, that's not going to hurt anything, anywhere.

...into the light of a dark black night.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-10, 00:13

Maybe they are paranoid about an OS X crash during the demo....

If they control the release of info they can edit the QT and brainwash all the attendees after the Keynote to forget the crash....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-10, 00:25

This is really only an extension of screwing the rumor sites isn't it? Aren't the sites that posted leaks also the ones that usually post the text live transcripts?

Honestly, I have zero qualms about them effectively silencing the auditorium. You want to see it live, pay the fee and get in line at the Expo.

We're spoiled. What next, we want to see Word docs of rough drafts of Apple Press releases weeks before they are posted?

Frigging wait. But then, I'm a Steve Jobs kind of asshole. I know I am.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-01-10, 01:25

Cant someone just call someone outside the hall with computer access and then just put the phone on speakerphone. That way the guy on the computer can hear everything while the guy in the keynote hall doesnt have to talk on the phone and wont be spotted.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 01:29

You don't think they already got dogs ready for a trick like that?

Dogs hear the phone...and they attack!

I can see why Apple is changing policy..Apple fans are crazy...with crazy ideas...
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-10, 01:39

They aren't guarding the airvents are they? Can't someone parachute onto the roof and drop mics into the ventilation? Does Apple have snipers?

Last edited by johnq : 2005-01-10 at 02:00.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777
This should only be considered if Jobs does not announce an update to AppleWorks on Tuesday.
Seriously...Appleworks 6 is 5 years old this month (dating back to MWSF 2000). That's as old as OS X itself!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-01-10, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
They aren't guarding the airvents are they? Can't someone parachute onto the roof and drop mikes into the ventilation? Does Apple have snipers?
I'd snipe for them. I've been playing lots of Halo 2...

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-10, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
They aren't guarding the airvents are they? Can't someone parachute onto the roof and drop mics into the ventilation? Does Apple have snipers?
Not a problem... Just tell me where and when...

I jumped out of a Hercules over Bangkok (Don Muang) International Airport on Saturday and landed on a dime infront of thousands of screaming kids.

It was childrens day in Bangkok!! Fantastic experience and great fun holding up international air traffic!!

So send me the plan and I'm your man!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-10, 05:17

(Did they tax you?)

Ok, great scratt. PDF of the facility is inbound.

P.S., sunrein will be sniping for Apple. Wear kevlar underoos.

P.P.S. Go to chat applenova to place bets, scratt vs. sunrein. (I got $20 on scratt, I've seen him jump but I've yet to see sunrein play Halo).

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein