AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Help me find a MBP Thunderbolt dock please

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help me find a MBP Thunderbolt dock please
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.

2020-10-14, 00:14

I have one, and it's kernel panic city. No idea why, it can have nothing hooked in but power, and blammo. Like, 4x/day blammo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 08:29

Wow! I'm do glad I don't have that problem. I don't know if I could handle that. What are you connecting too? Mine is a 15" TouchBar MBP (2016).

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.

2020-10-14, 20:13

15" MacBook Pro (2020), just got it, got the CalDigit to go with, and haven't been able to use it all. :P

Did the google, and I'm far from the only one.

My other brain is hung like a horse too.
#IRC isn't old school.
Old school is being able to say 'finger me' with a straight face.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 20:17

Wonder if it is a change in the TB port with the 2020 version. I'm VERY grateful I'm not in that mix though. That is just no fun at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.

2020-10-14, 23:06

Nope, it's a consistently inconsistent issue with the last few years' models. :/

No one can seem to find a pattern, other than the KPs tend to happen when there's a change to the power subsystem, such as wake/sleep, or, more frustrating, dock/undock because the dock supplies power. :P

If I unplugged it to go sit on the couch, I would usually get a KP before I sat down. Reboot, decide to go back to office, plug in, and a minute later, *blam*.

The punchline? No panic report to send to Apple. Completely blank. Nothing in the logs.

Nada.

#IRC isn't old school.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 23:29

Ohh.... maybe I don't experience it because I just about never undock it. I pretty much use it like a desktop nowadays.

Is it stable for you when you leave it docked?

Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.

2020-11-14, 16:02

Update:

Firmware on TS-3+ has remained constant at 44.1, macOS now at 10.15.7 (was at 10.15.5 IIRC)

No kernel panics in the past week of use. I've plugged/unplugged, slept/woken, all the things that used to cause it to go haywire, and nothing.

It's working as expected now. I'll let you know if that changes, but so far so good. It's a nice dock, it (or the laptop) was just misbehaving.

UPDATE UPDATE:

*I HAD TO POST IT*...

boom. Kernel panic. No log. Back to wanting to toss it through the window.

#IRC isn't old school.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2020-11-14 at 19:00.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-15, 10:31

Well that just sucks. Wonder how v11 works with it. I'm not ready to use mine mobile yet...

Does it matter what is plugged into the dock? Drives, monitors, etc.. Does changing those change the result?

Kickaha
Likes his boobies blue.

2020-11-15, 23:17

Well, it didn't used to, but it was stable for a few days as just a charger.

I plugged in a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter to finally use one of the two monitors on my desk (that haven't been used in MONTHS), and it worked well for quite some time.

And then I unplugged, went to the couch (without closing it), and by the time I sat down, it was KP'd out to pasture.

#IRC isn't old school.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-17, 11:00

You know, you're making me really never want to undock my MBP now.

Maybe after I finally upgrade to macOS 11 I'll try it. Actually, I'm going to be more mobile soon when I start actually building my floor in my office.

kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2020-11-19, 16:35

This thing was just announced by OWC.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-11-20, 11:51

You made me worry as I have a CalDigit dock for my newish 2019 13" MBP. (I need to run Windows, so it's ok!)

But it's this one: https://www.caldigit.com/mini-dock/

No KP issues for me.