Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Delicious Library 2's GUI sets the bar high
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-05-07, 17:09

Theocacao: New Entries for Apple Design Awards 2007

In this topic about potential Apple Design Award winners Scott Stevenson says this about DL2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevenson
I saved the best for last. Delicious Library 2 does walk amongst us, but it hasn't been shown the general public yet. I've seen it and, simply put, the Delicious guys don't mess around. I'm looking forward to this app for three reasons. One, it's going to be an awesome app for me personally. Two, it's going make Windows users want Macs, and Tiger users want Leopard. Three, it's going to be a major eye-opener for Mac developers.

This last point is important. Whatever you thought was state-of-the-art in Tiger is going to be blown to bits with all of the new API available in Leopard. You'll have Delicious Monster to thank for hacking a path through the jungle for you. The bar is going to be raised even higher for a top-tier Mac app, though, so be ready.
http://www.delicious-monster.com/

So...does that whet your apetite? It does mine. I can't wait for this app. Well, yes I can..I want DL2 shipped when it's ready. It's going to get heavy use from me.

omgwtfbbq
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-05-07, 17:22

I got caught up in the DL madness and bought the app when it was first released. Since about the second week, I haven't used it at all (mostly because it's awkward to use with the built-in iSights). But I'm a software whore, so I'll buy it when it comes out just because it sounds like its full of the awesome.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2007-05-07, 18:00

Yes I bought into DL via Macheist and kind of knew that I'd be more interested in the second version. Plus I'm ready to buy more HD DVD, CD and Books so it'll come in handy for the next boom that I have.

omgwtfbbq
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-07, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Yes I bought into DL via Macheist and kind of knew that I'd be more interested in the second version. Plus I'm ready to buy more HD DVD, CD and Books so it'll come in handy for the next boom that I have.
Come in handy for what?

I just don't get DL. It's cool... but who cares if you can put all your dvds and cds on a virtual bookshelf? It's not like it helps much of anything unless you have your own personal lending library.

jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-05-07, 18:08

That does sound interesting. I love my DL and while I don't use any of the "rental" features I love the cataloging features and it helps keep my unruly media collection under control. I can't wait to see this new GUI. It's one thing I've always liked about Mac apps is that the developers can really let their creativity shine through -- you can always tell that a developer cares about their app when they pay extra attention to detail.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-07, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Come in handy for what?

I just don't get DL. It's cool... but who cares if you can put all your dvds and cds on a virtual bookshelf? It's not like it helps much of anything unless you have your own personal lending library.

I completely agree. I think the app looks nice but I can't imagine how it would be useful.

Maybe if I ran a movie rental place. Apps like this (along with "Checkout") make me want to start one up.

You had me at asl
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-07, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
I completely agree. I think the app looks nice but I can't imagine how it would be useful.
x3

We have a lots of DVDs and CDs, some DS and Wii games, and several books, but I cannot think of anything I would do with a digital listing of them. Maybe if we had hundreds of items and no decent way of manually keeping track of everything it would be useful, but that's not the case.

Questions to Delicious Library users: For what tasks do you use DL? How frequently do you use it?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-07, 19:02

If it did comics, I'd be all over it (20-odd years of collecting, around 10,000 issues, and I have no idea what all I have, really...).

I keep pestering them, but... :P Ah well, here's hoping.

It'd be nice to have my books in there too (maybe 2k or so), but frankly, the barcoding wouldn't work on most of them, as they don't *have* barcodes. (Sue me, I like old books.)

CDs? Eh, that's what iTunes is for. DVDs? Games? C'mon, I have like 50, total, between them. Meh.

But comics? Yeah, I could use that.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-07, 19:04

I'm a fan of DL and will upgrade. It suits our needs since some of our books, CDs and DVDs are here (China) and others back home. I also like the fact that you can keep the list on your iPod ... helps prevent duplicate purchases if you forget what you have.

However, the main reason I like DL (and certain other apps) is - and it was expressed quite succinctly above - that Wil Shipley and his team (as well as other developers of a similar calibre) are the ones who "hack through the jungle" for us. Their code is clean, tight and vanguard stuff - their implementation of new technologies is inspiring and that raises the bar, which benefits us all.

Btw, iirc, the update will be US$80 - that's double the original price.
I'm hoping that DL2 can also just pull all the stuff out of iTunes automatically ... seems a "given" - at least I hope it is.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-07, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
However, the main reason I like DL (and certain other apps) is - and it was expressed quite succinctly above - that Wil Shipley and his team (as well as other developers of a similar calibre) are the ones who "hack through the jungle" for us. Their code is clean, tight and vanguard stuff - their implementation of new technologies is inspiring and that raises the bar, which benefits us all.
That's all rhetorical fluff, though. Pretty-looking UIs and hooks to external APIs are all meaningless if the app doesn't do something greatly beneficial.

What do you do with the app that makes it so special? You mention using its output on your iPod to remind yourself not to purchase duplicates. Is that all?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-05-07, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post

Maybe if I ran a movie rental place. Apps like this (along with "Checkout") make me want to start one up.

Maybe I should show it to the movie rental place down the street. It has a long business history (since the early 80s - long for video), has a big membership (no chain has even tried to open in the neighbourhood) has a large and wide selection including many hard to find films, and is very helpful and friendly. But it is run entirely manually. Amazing...I suppose....but weird in this day and age.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
k squared

2007-05-07, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Questions to Delicious Library users: For what tasks do you use DL? How frequently do you use it?

I primarily use DL for keeping track of my books (354 at last count) and who is borrowing them. It's also pretty useful for offering similar books for me to check out via Amazon.

So for me, it's worth it for organizational purposes (as well as insurance), but I hope DL2 is much faster with it's UI than DL 1.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-07, 21:43

Rhetorical fluff is not entirely true. If they demonstrate a technology and possible use of said technology that inspires others then that is worth acknowledging. In the same way that I don't want to condone dishonest behaviour (piracy) I choose to encourage creative and effective UI design. I want companies such as Delicious Monster to keep writing software. But this is a separate issue.

As for the functionality of the app. The primary benefits for myself are:
  • iPod backup (as mentioned) - prevent the purchase of duplicates
  • keep track of where stuff is - our assets are scattered between China and Australia presently so this feature is handy
  • organise by purchase date - if you claim books, CDs, DVDs as self-education expenses then this is very useful come tax time
  • borrowers feature (links into Address Book and iCal) - great if you are inclined to forget who has what
  • notes - where I got the item from, whether it was a gift, the name of the store, the price paid ... sometimes even why I purchased it. I like to keep tabs on that type of stuff and it has been helpful over the past few years too. Also, being reminded of good times (I purchased this whilst on holiday, or when catching up with an old friend, or I chanced upon this second hand bookstore) ... the memory jog is a nice bonus.

Frequency of use: not often - just when importing stuff, or checking it out to friends.

Wish list
  • smart bookshelves and the ability to nest them - for example, Australia: study, bedroom, work
  • beef up the search criteria - make it searchable by purchase date, or info in the notes section, for example
  • hook into some Australian online databases - I want the PAL versions of my DVDs to appear correctly
  • online purchasing from Australian stores - admittedly I haven't used this feature in DL1, but if it is implemented I probably will use it in DL2
  • direct link/import of iTunes library - there are all my CDs, keep a record of them in DL2 ... then I just need to add purchase date, store bought, etc.

In general, keeping track of belongings is something that appeals to me. I can get quite fastidious about it. What can I say? I'm a list maker. For the same reason, I also like Omni Outliner - though, I could conceivably write all the lists I want using pen and paper.

I have really come to use the computer as a repository for a lot of the aspects of my life, so these programs seem a natural extension to me.

twitter
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2007-05-07, 22:34

A nice feature would be to implement a field of "location." In this way, you can tell the computer exactly where the book or other media is, and you'll know exactly where to find it when you need it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-05-07, 23:18

I <3 Delicious Library. Having my media collection catalogued just makes me happy. Isn't that enough for you, Brad?

I'm trying to imagine DL2. I'm getting some weird mix of DL, CoverFlow, and Time Machine. Man oh man, this is going to be SWEET.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-07, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
A nice feature would be to implement a field of "location." In this way, you can tell the computer exactly where the book or other media is, and you'll know exactly where to find it when you need it.
I'm confused by this - it already has a location field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
If it did comics, I'd be all over it (20-odd years of collecting, around 10,000 issues, and I have no idea what all I have, really...).

I keep pestering them, but... :P maybe you were looking for a lower case 'p' ? Ah well, here's hoping.

It'd be nice to have my books in there too (maybe 2k or so), but frankly, the barcoding wouldn't work on most of them, as they don't *have* barcodes. (Sue me, I like old books.)

CDs? Eh, that's what iTunes is for. DVDs? Games? C'mon, I have like 50, total, between them. Meh.

But comics? Yeah, I could use that.
They were able to implement five of the six most requested features for DL2, but the comic book support was the one they left off. Apparently they don't have the data from amazon.

As for no barcodes, you can manually enter the details of those books that don't have barcodes. Surely not all 2000 of yours are sans 1 and 0 striping on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha (see above)
CDs? Eh, that's what iTunes is for.
CDs, DVDs and TV shows - I just read that DL2 will also feature live iTunes updating.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2007-05-07 at 23:52. Reason: Posts merged
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-08, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
They were able to implement five of the six most requested features for DL2, but the comic book support was the one they left off. Apparently they don't have the data from amazon.
No, Amazon doesn't have it, but a number of other sources do. That's disappointing, because they just lost a sale. *shrug*

Quote:
As for no barcodes, you can manually enter the details of those books that don't have barcodes. Surely not all 2000 of yours are sans 1 and 0 striping on the back.
I'd say most of them. I have a large number of pre-1950 math texts, and a not-small amount of similar aged sci-fi books. Probably another 100 or so pre-1920 books of various types. I think my oldest is an 1856 Smithsonian Institute Annual Report, if I remember the year correctly. Kinda pre-barcode.
rasmits
rams it

2007-05-08, 00:56

Regardless of its use (or lack of), I'm still excited to see what this hype is about.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2007-05-08, 02:13

Well I'm all for managing my media more effectively. As for my CDs ...none of them will be in sight so I'd like to have some sort of ability to manage them beyond iTunes.

I'm looking forward to added HD DVD/Blu-ray support as well. It's not something that's a must have admittedly but it's nice to have if you like the extra information on movies/books that you own.

omgwtfbbq
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-05-08, 05:45

One feature that I didn't use but could is the "sell yours on amazon" thing. I like selling stuff on amazon even if they charge quite a bit. It's easy and fast.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2007-05-08, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
One feature that I didn't use but could is the "sell yours on amazon" thing. I like selling stuff on amazon even if they charge quite a bit. It's easy and fast.
Yeah that actually would be damn cool. I've bought some textbooks in the past from Amazon and had a good experience. Being able to easily set up an account and simply just control click on a book and get the option to post it to Amazon's used section would be the bee's knees.

omgwtfbbq
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-08, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Well I'm all for managing my media more effectively. As for my CDs ...none of them will be in sight so I'd like to have some sort of ability to manage them beyond iTunes.

I'm looking forward to added HD DVD/Blu-ray support as well. It's not something that's a must have admittedly but it's nice to have if you like the extra information on movies/books that you own.
What exactly is it managing though? It's not organizing the physical material. So you still have to do that yourself.

I don't get it.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-08, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I think my oldest is an 1856 Smithsonian Institute Annual Report, if I remember the year correctly. Kinda pre-barcode.
You would've enjoyed Antiques Roadshow last night.

A guy bought this book at auction for maybe $200. It had been signed and dated '1878' in a hand-written note on the inside cover - something like: "To John on his birthday, March 2, 1878."

So its value had been appraised as an 1878 book.

Turns out it was *actually* a book published in like 1578, and was worth like $50,000-$70,000 - or something like that.

On a side note, some lady in NY bought a painting at a yard sale for $4, and it turned out to be worth from $50,000-$100,000.

I think the painter was named Wachtel.

But yeah, old books are cool.

PS - The amounts here are ballpark figures. If I had known I'd be writing about this, I would've taken notes, for the preservation of accuracy.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2007-05-08, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
What exactly is it managing though? It's not organizing the physical material. So you still have to do that yourself.

I don't get it.
Well I don't blame you. The current DL isn't quite as useful as I would like. Although I see potential for those of us that have growing media collections. Sometimes it isn't just about managing media but managing the information regarding that media. I hope that DL2 can become a daily usage product.

omgwtfbbq
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-23, 20:12

Aaaaaaaand... it's out! Direct download link: http://delicious-monster.com/downloa...202-r10292.zip

And of course I'm on my work machine with 10.4.11. *DAMMIT*

This is how much I love you all. Go forth and DLDL.

Last edited by Brad : 2008-05-23 at 20:33. Reason: Bad linking. *smack*
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-05-23, 20:27

Um, can we please not tinyURL directly to the download package? And not tinyURL at all, even? It's really not necessary here, we have enough room for proper links, and they can even show text different from the URL itself!

I'll stop using tinyURL as a verb as soon as you guys stop tinyURLing ...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2008-05-23, 20:30

Interesting error message. 10.5.3 isn't out yet. D'oh!

It looks cool - it pulls in your iTunes library (a great feature that was lacking in 1.x). I'm going to start using it again since I've been lending out books to clients recently and I'm beginning to lose track of who has what.

edit: you can use it to control iTunes. Not a feature that I thought about but it seems cool.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-05-23, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Um, can we please not tinyURL directly to the download package? And not tinyURL at all, even? It's really not necessary here, we have enough room for proper links, and they can even show text different from the URL itself!

I'll stop using tinyURL as a verb as soon as you guys stop tinyURLing ...
Would you have rather I give the only other info on how to get it?

http://twitter.com/wilshipley/

Sheesh. Picky, picky, picky.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-05-23, 21:05

Okay, I didn't know that that was the only existing link. Still, it's not rocket surgery to find out what that actually points to. But I'll hang my head in shame etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-05-23, 21:23

Thanks for the link and the heads up.