15" G4 PB 1.67GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 100GB HDD 128 vRAM SD APP -> $2.653

now I'm considering this:

17" iMac G5 2GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 160 GB HDD 128 MB vRAM SD APP -> $1.630
+
12" G4 iBook 1.33GHz 512MB RAM 40GB HDD 32MB vRAM Combo APP -> $1.132
_________
$2.762
Price difference: $109

all right... I don't need to be mobile all the time, i.e., I don't need to drag my LT to campus every day, just every so often. Hence, I'd use the PB as a desktop replacement rather than as a laptop. however, every so often I need to use a LT on campus and for travel.

I've been a winblows user for 13 years, I have zero practical experience w/ macs (except for messin with them @ the apple store or compusa.

putting the $100 price difference aside (I can make up for that w/ selling the 2nd iPod), which one(s) would u go for?

any input/help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-07, 07:24

I'd jump all over the second option (iMac + iBook).

The big PowerBook isn't really a lot more powerful than the little iBook. The only reason for investing a huge chunk of cash in a PowerBook is if you plan to do all your work on-the-go and moving about. Since you're not, I really don't think it's worth it for you.

Having an iMac on the desk is much more powerful (and ergonomic) than having a PowerBook on the desk. Since you plan to do the majority of your work in one place, having your primary computer anchored to a desk isn't so bad.

The iBook will more more than sufficient for going about campus and traveling. In fact, most people I know prefer the smaller 12" screen (be it iBook or PowerBook) for working on campus because it will actually fit in a normal backpack and won't require you to lug around a special carrying case. The 12" is also perfect for fitting on little desks or in your lap.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dave_D

2005-09-07, 08:59

Dude, you're one smart shopper!

I think you can even do better with your budget. You can opt for a refurb iMac G5 1.8Ghz 20" since Apple has extended it's warranty to 2 years. You just might be able to swing getting a PB 12" if you look hard enough.

I too own a iMac + PB. It's a great all around for both work AND play.
Boomerangmacuser

2005-09-07, 09:03

Now that's what I call creative accounting!

I agree with Brad. The versatility you'd get with having two machines faaaar outweighs the extra computing power you'd get from having a PB on the road. Think about what kind of work you'd be doing while you're out and about. Will you really be ripping DVD's between classes? I would guess not. You'll likely be using the LT for taking notes, email, chatting, researching online etc. None of these require all that much computing power. You'll have a compact, lightweight LT with excellent battery life that you'll find yourself taking to school more often than you think, AND a powerful machine at home. For a hundred bucks, it's a no-brainer.

Oh yeah, critical files can also be saved to both machines for redundancy. How's that for justification.
ghettochild

2005-09-08, 02:39

thanks ya'll for the replies. I guess I'll go w/ the iMac/iBook combo. I'll let ya'll know (if anybody cares..lol).

thanks again!
pdkline

2005-09-08, 06:48

I been tossing the same diliema too. The main issue I do need great perforamce, and paying $3000 for a PB... its not even faster than my mac g5.

I am running out of monitors and iMac 20" is looking very cool like I am thinking about selling my tin can (G5 1.6) and getting one.. but im so confused...I like to get something less bulkier than a powermac and same speed. this is why I was thinking of a PB. however PB looks like a performance downgrade.

Paul