MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 8 of 21 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-02, 13:50

The world is now 1.11.2, please update your clients. Still working on the maps side of things. I didn't notice any issues with the world and the upgrade. Please let me know if you find any issues.

@Brad: I did make a backup of the ../current folder called current_bak.tar in the /opt/minecraft folder.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-01-02, 18:22

Also @Brad
While working through this issue I noticed how large our world maps are and needed to make room. So I've put a script in place that's going to limit how long our old backups stay. Rather than letting them stay perpetually like I have, I'm now going to purge after 30 and 60 days. It runs every night at 4am.
Code:
find $backupfolder -type f -mtime +30 -name world.\*.085\* -exec rm -fv {} \; find $backupfolder -type f -mtime +30 -name world.\*.145\* -exec rm -fv {} \; find $backupfolder -type f -mtime +30 -name world.\*.205\* -exec rm -fv {} \; find $backupfolder -type f -mtime +60 -exec rm -fv {} \;
So with this all the 0250 backups stay until the 60 day mark. Also, because I've specified the times the way I did, most one-off backups will stay until the 60 day mark. All backups will remain until the 30 day mark. So that leaves plenty of time for noticing that something wasn't right and needs to be restored. If you think the backups should stay longer let me know. I just realized how much of my NAS storage was lost due to these massive and archaic backups. The script is run on my NAS rather than through the MC server so you won't be able to change it directly. This is why I'm wanting to let you know so you can give input on it even though you can't modify it directly. It was easier for me to do it this way rather than modifying the init.d script.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-01-06, 23:41

Just noticed that Brad's texture pack doesn't work with 1.11.2

Is anybody using OptiFine HD? I'm interested in doing it because I'd like to use the Simplex resource pack but I'm afraid of breaking MC so I'm just curious to know if there are any things to watch out for...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2017-01-07, 10:05

I'm using OptiFine 1.11.2 HD U B5 (latest release) without issue. Some of the newer doodads haven't been updated in Brad's pack, but they just default to the 'stock' graphic, where the rest still work fine. Make sure you have 'Server Resource Packs: Enabled' in the Server Info screen.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-02-23, 10:43

Server is coming down for a quick host update. I'll try to make sure no one is on the server when I restart.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-04, 15:13

Having an issue with the MC Server VM. Trying to get it back online. If you try to play and it isn't up yet then I'm still working on it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-04, 20:15

So I'm looking to move the VM to my new machine, Volstagg. Basically, the VM outgrew the 60GB SSD you guys chipped in to buy a while back. So it filled the disk and locked up. I'm really hoping we didn't lose any data from it when the lockup happened. Corruption is common when the drive fills completely like this.

I'll update once it's back up and I've been able to log into the game normally.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-04, 20:37

OK, the game should be up. Please log in and post back if all seems well to you. I'm connecting locally because it's on my network so I'd like for someone off my network to try it out.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-19, 19:35

Sorry, I accidentally initiated and update to the VM host for the MC server. It should be up shortly if you were booted.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-14, 16:23

I need to do host maintenance so I'm going to take the MC server down for a little bit while I reboot and do other updates. It shouldn't take too long, though you won't be able to get into the server while it happens.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-14, 17:10

The server is back up and host updates are done. Enjoy the weekend!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-05-13, 13:07

Gotta do some host maintenance really quickly. If you try to get on and can't, try again shortly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-05-18, 20:20

Having to upgrade the host OS for our VM. Shouldn't be down too long.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-03, 23:12

I did updates on the VM tonight. It included a java update. I've made the changes to the server settings so it will run on the new java version and everything looks good. Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2017-06-05, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Just noticed that Brad's texture pack doesn't work with 1.11.2

Is anybody using OptiFine HD? I'm interested in doing it because I'd like to use the Simplex resource pack but I'm afraid of breaking MC so I'm just curious to know if there are any things to watch out for...
Has anyone else already fixed the texture pack for the more recent Minecraft version? If not, I can take a stab at it later this week.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Has anyone else already fixed the texture pack for the more recent Minecraft version? If not, I can take a stab at it later this week.
No one has messed with it yet. Please feel free to update it when you get the chance.
¡Damned!

2017-06-06, 09:02

Curious how you'll handle the hardened clay terracotta vs. concrete, Brad. The clay colors are so nice right now, but concrete kind've fills that 'bright, smooth color block' need. Maybe bring back a little more texture in the clay? Plus, the vanilla (default) white clay color is fugly... and I don't want no fugly pink rockets.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-08, 22:00

I'm going to start the process of expanding the storage for the ANMC world. So the game server is coming down for a short bit. If you try to get in and can't, try again after a few minutes.

Edit: Expanding this disk is taking a lot longer than I expected.

Last edited by turtle : 2017-06-08 at 22:28.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-08, 23:06

Ok, the game is back up. Since it was already much longer than expected I went ahead and did the Gparted portion of the drive expansion. Brad, feel free to do the LVM expansion. The anmc VM is going from 40GB to 60GB. If you don't get to it in a short while I'll do it. I'm just concerned about the world being so large and really filling the volume.

Currently:
Code:
35G 31G 3.2G 91% /

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-10, 02:25

This is bad:
Code:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/root 35G 34G 18M 100% /
I was able to make it good though:
Code:
/dev/mapper/root 55G 27G 25G 52% /
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2017-06-10, 12:42

Sorry I didn't jump in sooner to help with the disk. I would have to pass the ball back anyway because I've only resized disks a few times before, and I wouldn't be comfortable doing it to a "production" system without a few trial runs anyway.

Glad to see you seem to have figured it out though! 🎉

It does look like we're in desperate need of a world trim, though, if we're filling the disk like this. Since that's being discussed in the 1.12 thread I'll just boop myself over thattaway…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-10, 13:01

It is ok. I wasn't expecting the disk to fill. Thankfully it didn't actually hit 100%, no services were killed so I got to it just in time. I'm disappointed my monitoring didn't update. It still had it at 18% free.

I have the perk of managing the VM so I took snapshots before making changes. So if I killed it, I could just revert.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-15, 13:10

My host machine crashed and thus forcibly rebooted the VMs, including our MC server. If you notice something is way off, please let me know.
¡Damned!

2017-06-22, 08:28

Anybody else getting some weird DNS message when loading up AN this morning? I even had to change my bookmark from forums.applenova.com to https://forums.applenova.com to get it to work.

Anyways, it seems to have borked the mcmaps & server address as well.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 08:40

There is a DNS issue right now. Other than editing your hosts file you can use the CNAME for the MC server:
Code:
anmc.dyndns.org
¡Damned!

2017-06-22, 08:43

Neat! Thanks T.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 09:32

Grrr.....

My host machine VM manager crashed so ALL my VMs are being forced to reboot. Sorry if you were on.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 14:00

The system is stable again and all VMs running. Of course, this means the ANMC server as well. Sorry if you got bumped.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-07-07, 18:42

I'm going to be doing a firewall changeout. This is going to change some rules and disrupt traffic to the game server (admin access too Brad) during the changeout and configuration. Since I'm keeping the same LAN IP range it is just going to be easier for me to make the change in place. I plan to have the game server accessible shortly and it should stay that way. I might need to do other network reboots and such though along the way.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-07-08, 21:48

Much of the work that you guys would notice should be completed. All ports forwarded and even the maps are up again. Of course, they are not updating yet, still waiting on the NAS to rebuild the RAID for that one.