Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Playing video *from* macOS *to* iOS

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Playing video *from* macOS *to* iOS
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-10, 20:11

Would like to push a video stream from macOS to multiple iOS devices simultaneously.

Thoughts?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-10, 20:40

FaceTime using an app on the Mac (like Screenflow) as the camera for it's FaceTime instance. Maybe.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-10, 20:46

To multiple iOS devices at once? o.O

Luckily, it appears I can provide at least one answer myself: MultiVid. iOS app from App Store, installed on each iOS device, and http://marcotempest.com/work/multivid/ for the macOS 'controller' app.

It's clunky as hell, and only works with MP4 files that have to be copied to each device, but it *does* synchronize playback.

Partial solution, but better than nothing so far.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-10, 20:47

Can't you FaceTime call more than one person? I thought that was possible. I know Skype and Google Hangouts can do it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-10, 22:49

You know, I know you used to be able to do it on macOS, but I haven't tried it in ages, nor do I recall it being a feature on iOS.

What I optimally would like is broadcast of generalized video or visual content over AirPlay-esque channels to iOS devices on the same WiFi network. Think sending a presentation to multiple iPads in an office LAN, for instance.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-11, 10:11

There are options for doing private streaming via YouTube or such but that leaves your LAN and is not good if you want the privacy. Short of building your own streaming server I'm not sure of a great option.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-10-11, 16:14

Yeah, I'm not sure there's a ready solution for this.

The MultiVid approach isn't *bad*, but wow is it clunky, even for it's limited functionality.