Anyone using a standing desk?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone using a standing desk?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-02-27, 14:28

So I've been sitting at a desk again for the last 5 months and I'm noticing my body doesn't like it as much as when I was much more mobile. I've read of people working in hamster wheels and desks built around treadmills and such as a way to stay active. I'm not really interested in that at this point but more wondering if anyone here has moved to a standing desk either part or full time.

If sitting really is killing us all slowly, maybe I should stand more than just when my Watch tells me to get up and moving.

Basically I'm looking to make the leap but wanted to see what others are using out there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
dglow

2017-02-28, 02:03

AIUI, if you aren't switching between standing and sitting regularly, you're doing it wrong. Best to think of these as 'convertible' desks.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-02-28, 10:29

Well that is really what I'm looking at. There is a desk platform on Monoprice that is down to $280 right now. The killer is shipping is $77 so the total price is $356.88 (I don't think I pay tax there). That also doesn't come with a desktop. So I would reuse my current desktop or order a new one. This would allow me to roll my chair under it an sit or move the chair out of the way and stand.

I really like this idea because I watched my weight gain over the last few months and know it's because I sit all day. While I might not get a treadmill to work on, at least if I'm up and moving I'm burning more calories than if I'm in this really comfy ergonomic chair.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-02-28, 10:49

My wife has been using one after her back surgery, and she loves it. Just get one of those standing mats to go with it. She would never go back.

I have an under-desk elliptical I use, I've been pretty happy with it. I waited until it was on sale at amazon, got it for under $100 I think.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
dglow

2017-02-28, 16:30

If you have a desk/table already which you'd prefer to keep, consider one of these: https://www.ergodesktop.com

They won't win awards for looks, but these are as sturdy as they come. The primary benefits, for me, are that they easily slide around on the existing surface – which is fantastic considering the name of the game is regularly changing position. It's also fantastically convenient.

Also, I like still having a low work surface while my keyboard/display are elevated. I can keep papers/books/gear on the desk, stationary, while still switching between sitting and standing at the keyboard.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-01, 10:01

How does that work with a keyboard actually being centered in front of you? Is there actually going to be room for a trackpad or mouse to move?

There doesn't seem like there will be much room and I use a keyboard with number pad. I keep the home row/space bar centered in front and that doesn't look like that work space will allow for that. With my desk (32" deep) I would have to lean in to use it too. That just won't work for me. Thanks for linking it though, It isn't a bad idea if I change to a shallower desk.

An anti-fatigue mat seems like a great idea too. My mom has one in her kitchen that I love standing on.

dglow

2017-03-01, 13:53

+1 to the mat, or a pair of supportive footwear. I found a pair of cozy slippers which also have incredible arch support, and often wear them standing at the desk.

At for the tray space, I guess it's a matter of taste. I use a large ergonomic keyboard, mouse on one side, trackpad on the other, and find there's plenty of room. I know the company sells tray extensions, both depth and width.

An objective observation: you wouldn't need to lean into that desk. That large black base isn't fixed; there are thin felt feet on the bottom, which let you easily slide it around your surface. That's my favorite feature. If I want do use my table surface seated I can push the entire rig back or to the side and out of the way, even while it's raised. Super flexible, especially if you have a large enough table or desk.

All FWIW, of course. Good luck with your search!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2017-03-01, 14:52

One of my co-workers has a standing desk. It comes with three memory positions.

What's the third one for?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2017-03-01, 15:09

I haven't, but a lot of people at my last jobs used them. They all swore by the GeekDesk and using the standing mat. Nice because they're adjustable (i.e., you can use it like a normal desk too if you like). They're not cheap though...

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-01, 20:53

I didn't realize the tray moved out on that one. That does make it more appealing actually. My desktop is 60" by 32". Currently my monitors are on a stand clamped to the desk already. This makes the elevation of them right, but they don't really adjust for standing.

The GeekDesks look cool too. My only concern about them is that they have a cross bar between the legs. If I were sitting I can just imagine the pain my shins would constantly feel. I'm looking for something that will leave the league area open.

I do like their add-on for holding the computer though. That would be nice to have it off the floor even though I won't have a moving desk.

flail

2017-03-10, 08:28

Not only do I have a standing desk at work, I have my own personal TreadDesk!

I can walk 3-5 miles in a workday easily. (Obviously you can just turn it off and stand stationary if you choose).

I love that my work invested in this, it's a game-changer. Kinda expensive though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-11, 12:14

Wow, that is expensive. I would be better off buying a treadmill and building a desk over it. I love the idea though.

I'm thinking at this point that I'm going to buy the new TouchBar 15" and use it as a docked desktop. That will be on a convertible desk that can stand or sit. Then I'll get a treadmill and have a place for the laptop on it so I can walk and work using the treadmill separate from the standing desk. This will allow mobility as well as being able to sit or stand/walk.

What about shoes? Someone I talked to (at my workplace) said the mats are crap and that the footwear is most important when it comes to working at a standing desk. I don't have shoes really geared to standing all day right now. I have running shoes and hiking boots. House slippers even! Nothing for standing for hours at a time though.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-03-14, 10:08

I have an under desk elliptical that I like. It's at the house for when I'm playing computer games. it's started squeaking recently though, so would suck to have in an office environment.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Dr. Bobsky

2017-03-14, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
One of my co-workers has a standing desk. It comes with three memory positions.

What's the third one for?
With that sort of lead in, was the lack of response because it is too easy?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-03-14, 22:16

I just got an Ergotron unit at work. Some people have full standing desks, others just the adjustable stand like mine.

I've thought about trying to get a TreadDesk. Probably too expensive to get my employer to spring for it but maybe I'll by an under-desk elliptical for when I'm sitting.
jessi451

2017-03-15, 07:36

office seat with memory ? where can i find this ?
dglow

2017-03-15, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What about shoes? Someone I talked to (at my workplace) said the mats are crap and that the footwear is most important when it comes to working at a standing desk. I don't have shoes really geared to standing all day right now. I have running shoes and hiking boots. House slippers even! Nothing for standing for hours at a time though.
For a while I thought it was about buying the right shoes with good, built-in foot support. Turns out... it's about placing good inserts (insoles) into the shoes you buy. That foam pad on the bottom inside of shoes? It's generic, meant to fit everyone and not feel odd in any way that would discourage someone's purchase. Proper arch and metatarsal support at first feels like a strange bump and can scare people off, so only the expensive and/or specialty shoes include this by default.

Something like this, with more examples here.

The rise on the side, the arch support, will look familiar as most shoes have this to a greater or lesser extent. But it's the small bump in the middle of the insole which made the difference for me. This supports the central bones of the foot, the metatarsal. I didn't know I needed (or would benefit from) this until I started standing at work much more, which came about from the standing desk.

Sorry for going on... just wish to spread around what I've learned in the hope that it helps someone else.

TL;DR: Buy almost any shoes you like, but spend some extra on good replacement insoles and your feet will thank you.

Last edited by dglow : 2017-03-15 at 19:21. Reason: typo
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-03-15, 21:18

I had a feeling insoles would be the key. I was given a set of insoles from the VA recently and have them in a set of hiking boots. This boots are now my favorite pair of shoes to wear.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-12, 14:23

So I finally got my desk! Only a year+ later, but I have it. Still setting it up but so far I'm loving this desk!

It will hold my two monitors easily. Up to 300Lbs for this model. Only $280 from NewEgg. I have to order new 10' HDMI cables before I can set up Volstagg you see on the floor that hooks up to the monitors. My desk can go up to 50.5"! That is high enough that I can ride my office chair under it like a mechanic stands under a car on a lift. Pretty high.

I was going to give Monoprice a try but I can't seem to get the cart there to actually complete the checkout. It just stalls. I even tried using PayPal as the payment method and it's not working. Now I'm going to have to get my stuff from Amazon. I hate buying from them now.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-04-12, 19:27

Damn, I think that's some serious desk envy I'm feeling. I've wanted to get in on the motorized standing desk scene at home, but the last time I looked (admittedly several years ago) something like that would've easily started in the $500 price range. But now under $300? It makes me think I need to take another serious look at the options on the market.

I had a motorized standing desk at a job a couple of years ago, and I swear it changed my life. Back pain ebbed away. Posture got better. Alas, I don't work there any more, and now my days and nights both have me back to the seated position, and the occasional aches and spasms have crept back in.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-04-12, 19:34

Quote:
Did you order a top separately? Or did you have that big wooden slab already?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-13, 10:42

I used an existing desktop. It is huge and no need to throw it out. I didn't even pretrial the holes for the included screw to connect it to the desk leg assembly.

I love this thing. So worth it.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-04-15, 01:14

Colleague of mine has had to ongoing back problems, so she went to a doctor, and he ordered our workplace to buy her a standing desk.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-21, 13:03

A little over a week in and I'm really loving my standing desk. I walk in to my Mancave and stand at my desk for quick things throughout the evenings and weekend.

During the day when I'm here working I alternate more but still stand a lot. I have an 1" thick anti-fatigue mat that I stand on regardless of footwear. Normally I'm barefoot, but sometimes there are boots or flip-flops on.

I've mounted most things under the desktop so I have less cords that have to go to the ground, but still working to get it truly organized. Some of the cords aren't long enough to get under the desk and in a curly cord organizer thing. Not sure how I'll end up solving that.

The red power strip is no battery backup while the grey one is plugged into the UPS.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-02, 16:26

Three weeks in and I'm still loving the desk. The ability to change positions is awesome. I even went out and bought some hooks so I could get my keys off of my desk.

I will say that I'm going to have to get the footwear thing figured out for me. I have a really thick anti-fatigue mat but it is not enough. Part of it is just getting my feet used to being used all the time, but that is clearly not all I'm dealing with. Nothing to the point where I feel like I might need to talk to a doc about it, just don't want it to go beyond some discomfort.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-03, 05:59

T this has been my question about standing desks; how healthy is it for people to stand in one place for an extended period. Is your house on a slab or are you on a floating frame?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-03, 07:37

It isn't just so you can stand all day but so you can easily alternate between standing and sitting. This is likely why my feet have been bothered lately, I haven't been switching off enough.

Oh, and my house is all slab concrete. So soft to the touch on the sole of your foot.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-03, 13:07

Quote:
.... my house is all slab concrete....

QED!!!

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-05-13, 08:05

Did you really blur out those keys? Slightly paranoid there, and what the heck is that thing on the S-carabiner?

I use a poor man’s standing desk for my laptop (Windows for games) and iPad. By poor man’s standing desk, I mean one of these. It’s a perfect size for a 15” laptop with enough room for mouse use, iPad on kickstand, earphones, and the devices’ power cords/chargers. At max height, it’s just right for my barely-five-foot-nine shrimp self, and cheap by comparison. Oh, and wheels.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-13, 12:28

Yes, I really just blurred out my keys. You should too.

The thing on my S-carabiner is a Keyport Slide 3.0. It keeps my keys neatly tucked away and not jingling in my pocket.

It is really cool that you found something that works for you. I couldn't get away with one that small. I work from home so I have to many things...nevermind the two 27" monitors.