Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New Mac ad campaign

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Mac ad campaign
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
defaultmike

2006-05-30, 09:18

I don´t have too much info on this, but the solid info I have is from http://www.giselebundchen.com.br which is Gisele´s oficial website. According to them, she has just finished shooting pictures for a new campaign for Apple´s computer line.

Could it be that Apple is preparing new ads for the release of the new PowerMac (Mac Pro), or something different?

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 09:31

Hmmm...Apple going to take the T&A/babe route?

Maybe it's not FOR Apple, but merely a photo shoot for some geek magazine, where she's posing with some Apple gear?

I just can't imagine Apple going for the cheap/easy angle of "supermodel chick". Then again, I couldn't read that website so I have no idea what's going on...
åsen

2006-05-30, 10:18

Off topic

6-7 years ago I was helping this guy run a Laetitia Casta website.
Then he was head-hunted by some of Gisele's people to run an *official* Gisele website.
Maybe it's this one?
He left.
I didn't have the time to continue the Laetitia site.
It folded.
Who remembers La Casta nowadays?

/Off topic
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 10:21

Hmm, I wonder. Will she be playing Mac or PC?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 10:53

Or maybe she'll be the digital camera this time around.
aranhamo

2006-05-30, 12:04

Just what the first poster said:

Gisele fotografa campanha para a linha de computadores da Apple, MAC (Macintosh), nos Estados Unidos.

Gisele photographs campaign for the line of computers from Apple, MAC(Macintosh), in the United States.

That might be better as "Gisele shoots campaign"... in any case, it looks like Apple will be running ads with her.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 13:14

Ugh. What's next...Paris Hilton hawking iPods?

I guess I shouldn't say that too loud...some nimrod in Apple marketing might get an idea...

I've long called for Apple to tap into the "celebrity spokesperson" field...but I had folks with a bit more presence and talent in mind. Supermodels? Three of them together couldn't mana...ah, never mind. Now I'm just being mean.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-30, 13:18

This made me laugh for some reason...

I'm thinking somebody should photoshop in a iPod. That will be even funnier.

Maybe His Steveness is going for comcial angle here?
shatteringglass

2006-05-30, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Or maybe she'll be the digital camera this time around.
Or the retarded Brazillian-made inkjet printer that kept forgetting how to print...
aranhamo

2006-05-30, 13:21

Yeah, I've never thought she was particularly attractive. She's missing the main asset that made me marry a brazilian in the first place. ;-) They could have done a lot better than Gisele, but then Carls could have done a lot better than Paris Hilton (who is another not very attractive stick figure).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-30, 13:24

Sheryl Crow: "Hello, I'm a Mac"
Paris Hilton: "And I'm a PC"

Or something.
aranhamo

2006-05-30, 13:45

On the subject of those ads, I had a Windows-using colleague all ready to buy a MacBook Pro, and he changed his mind specifically because of Apple's new ads, which he said are "negative advertising". Pretty dumb reason, but true nonetheless (in the sense that that really was why he decided to buy an HP instead of a Mac).

Last edited by aranhamo : 2006-05-30 at 14:23.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 13:55

I mean no offense, but it's quite possible your Windows-using colleague is a flaming idiot on wheels, if that's truly the reason he decided to NOT make a particular purchase.

aranhamo

2006-05-30, 14:03

Well I don't know him that well. When he told me though, I was pretty incredulous.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-30, 14:22

You have to admit, though, that they ARE terrible ads. They do nothing to psyche anyone up about buying a Mac. Perhaps some of the more hardcore Mac users love them, but those people don't need to be advertised to. For anyone who's actually considering getting a Mac, I find it impossible to see those ads as having anything but a negative impact.
krinsome

2006-05-30, 18:03

The PSP has pr0n, now the iPod has pr0n.

Introducing the new iPr0n, innovation by Apple.

Jason
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 18:22

Personally, I think a marketing campaign with some supermodel will do really well for Apple. Someone like Gisele, (whether you think she's hot or not) is a girl associated with high-profile fashion magazines bought by (amongst others) young affluent people.

Dress it up anyway you like - Sex sells..
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You have to admit, though, that they ARE terrible ads. They do nothing to psyche anyone up about buying a Mac. Perhaps some of the more hardcore Mac users love them, but those people don't need to be advertised to. For anyone who's actually considering getting a Mac, I find it impossible to see those ads as having anything but a negative impact.
Yeah. I believe I was pretty much saying just that from the first day they were unveiled. It was nice seeing SOMETHING other than dancing silhouettes, but once that initial 14-minute thrill faded, you begin to realize how off-putting they might be to some.

I wouldn't base a $2,000 purchase on whether or not a silly commercial irked me, mind you. But I could think of 25 other approaches they could've taken that touts the Mac without dinging or taking potshots - however warranted they may be - at the other side.

I remember saying this very thing weeks ago, the day these things came out. They're strictly "okay"...but nothing that's going to compel anyone to great action, IMO. Almost too cutesy, and after you've seen them about twice, you're sick of them...the look, the tone, the cheesy stereotype (dorky guy in suit is a PC; untucked hipster dude in need of a razor and comb is a Mac).

Oooh, groundbreaking stuff...

colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker

Or something.
Naw, I don't quite see Paris as the PC. I'm thinking more like .... hmm ... Janet Reno? Yeah, that would be good. Not the Dance Party incarnation, mind you.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-30, 18:40

Sheryl is bi...

She appeared in that little promo for iLife shown at MWSF a year or two ago (along with that big-eyed Hobbit and Tony Hawk), but about 6-9 months ago she was in commercials for either HP or Dell computers (walking around her "house", strumming her guitar, the computer in the background, etc. It was some tie-in to her new album and videos.

Pretty sure it was HP and some Media Center thing.

So I'm not sure which side the silly little wench is on.

But I don't dislike the idea of her being someone Apple used in promos or commercials. She's almost universally liked, doesn't have a cheeseball/diva vibe about her (she's not Mariah, Madonna, Janet, etc.), actually has some musical cred and chops (she's not Britney, etc.)...

Apple could certainly do worse than make Ms. Crow the "face of Apple". I know I'd approve.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-05-30 at 18:52.
Ghost2

2006-05-30, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhamo
She's missing the main asset that made me marry a brazilian in the first place. ;-).
Assets eh? Damn I got to get me a Brazilian girl!
professorjay

2006-05-30, 19:50

I was turned off to Sheryl Crow after reading an interview where she said, in effect, that computers/the internet/technology are a detriment because they make people less likely to interact w/ each other in person. That has stuck w/ me for some reason, just like an old Reese Weatherspoon interview where she was in a high school math classroom (preparing for a role) and thought to herself 'I wish I could tell everyone here that all this stuff will be useless once they graduate.' And now I'm getting off topic.

Back to the main thread... At least Gisele looks a lot better than the two guys in the present ad campaign! Take out the smug arrogance of the current ad and we've got an improvement.
T2dak668

2006-05-30, 20:17

Perhaps, they are going to be spots showing how easy it is to use a Mac... even a dumb supermodel can use it!
Ghost2

2006-05-30, 20:20

I will bet someone a dollar that the ad will show pictures of Gisele being edited on a Mac Pro with aperture, and it will show how good macs are for pro media applications.
Anthem

2006-05-30, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
There's a virus joke lurking around here, waiting to be made...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-30, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem
There's a virus joke lurking around here, waiting to be made...
Well, obviously, anybody who opens her legs so much is bound to catch something.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-05-31, 08:08

Gisele is amazing (minus the breast implants, at least), but would Apple be willing to pay for her? I think she's the highest paid model in the world, with Victoria's Secret alone paying her something like $10 million/year. Apple doesn't exactly splash out on famous faces in their advertising. Maybe Ghost2 is right about photos of her simply being shown on a monitor in an Apple ad.
runner91786

2006-06-01, 09:18

I think it was just saying she was done with a photoshoot WITH apples?

http://www.giselebundchen.com.br/ouv...?releaseid=228
defaultmike

2006-06-03, 15:42

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1783

Ok, now you don't have to trust me anymore, Apple Insider already confirmed it.

I expect some of those reputations points now...

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
Anthem

2006-06-20, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhamo
On the subject of those ads, I had a Windows-using colleague all ready to buy a MacBook Pro, and he changed his mind specifically because of Apple's new ads, which he said are "negative advertising". Pretty dumb reason, but true nonetheless (in the sense that that really was why he decided to buy an HP instead of a Mac).
Thought I'd bump this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Apple's new ad campaign gets called out by Slate. Pretty good article.

http://www.slate.com/id/2143810/fr/rss/