AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

That time of year again. (taxes)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
That time of year again. (taxes)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-25, 21:05

So, I'm getting ready to do my taxes, and I wanted to poll the mac users out there. What program do you use to do taxes if you do them on your mac, and how happy are you with them?

Anyone find that one is particularly better than the others? Any accountants out there have a recommendation?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-25, 21:07

I find my hands and TI-86 excellent programs.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-25, 21:08

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about showering...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-25, 21:30

I've used TaxAct the last couple of years, the online version. It's decent, though I was pretty miffed about the paucity of my refund last year. I just thought that these online tax things would be a little easier to deal with than the crap that's usually put out for Macs in this market. I'd love to hear otherwise.
billy_d_goat

2006-01-25, 23:13

I've used TurboTax for several years now, and I've found it to be a tolerable application. That said, I heard an radio ad as well as saw a TV commercial for it just today. Getting a little too mainstream perhaps Ahh well. Taxes are a bit mainstream too, I suppose. Where is my Apple tax app!
AJF

2006-01-25, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I find my hands and TI-86 excellent programs.
A man after my own heart.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2006-01-26, 00:06

I've used TurboTax online for the last several years. It does a great job. My taxes the last couple years have included sales of rental properties, disbanding 403b's, all sorts of crazy things. It handled them all with ease.

Nick
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-26, 00:20

So does the Apple Tax count towards your income tax?
OmegaB

2006-01-26, 06:57

I do all my returns by hand as I feel no computer program can fully understand the intricacies of tax evasion like I do.

:smokey: :smokey:
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2006-01-26, 09:35

ive never understood the PITA nature of tax season, but then again, ive never had to do anything more than take 30 min to fill out a 1040EZ :P
im sure that 10 years from now, when im married, have a house, and kids, ill be grumbling about it with you guys too
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-26, 10:04

Actually, it's not the forms themselves that's pita.

It's waiting for all documents to arrive and it's up to you to get the necessary forms if you did anything weird this year.

I can't do my taxes because one of my past employer is too busy wankering to fill out a W-2 and mail to me.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-26, 10:18

They make expenses a pain. Last year I searched for a new job and moved. It was the act of trying to write off those things, plus the 2 W2 forms, plus my loans, plus making sure my rollovers went smoothly that made it a pain.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-01-26, 10:42

used macintax for years, it was changed to turbotax and so i now use that...quick and easy and prints up my forms nice and pretty like....has lots of stuff i never will use, but it automatically takes last years info and put that in and it electronically sends my forms so no mailing and such

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-26, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
used macintax for years, it was changed to turbotax and so i now use that...quick and easy and prints up my forms nice and pretty like....has lots of stuff i never will use, but it automatically takes last years info and put that in and it electronically sends my forms so no mailing and such

g
Same here, I used TurboTax when it was Macintax and I've never had any reason to use anything different. It does exactly what I need it to do, and it does it quickly and easily. It has deduction finders so that you don't miss any potential deductions, it has a feature that checks your return for "audit flags" or things that make the IRS more likely to audit you. It will get you the biggest refund possible. It's a great program. It even comes with a refund for the price of e-filing, so e-filing is essentially free.

Come waste your time with me
The Grim

2006-01-26, 12:23

I use TaxCut on my PC for 3 years now, but this would be the last year on my PC. I will move my tax inform to my Mac for next year tax, so I would have to get some software that work on Mac. I know TurboTax work on Mac, but I am not sure how good. Are there any suggestion on Tax software on the Mac?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-26, 13:28

Hi Grim...

Did you read the thread above the post you made? There are several very capable applications listed above.

However, I'll do some footwork for you and post a few reviews I've found.

CNET's review of TurboTax Basic.

CNET's review of TurboTax Premier.

TaxCut Premium Review.

TaxAct Review

For the record, most reviews have put TurboTax above all others, mostly for the friendly UI and ease of use. It really doesn't get much easier than TurboTax if you ask me. Granted, I've never used any other application, but I can't imagine it getting any easier than TurboTax.

Come waste your time with me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-26, 15:03

I actually like TaxCut better than TurboTax, although I've done the whole hands + TI-25 (like the buttons better ) thing for myself and other people as well when I was a VITA volunteer.

TaxCut for Mac was dropped this year, so no TaxCut goodness for me. About the only thing left is TurboTax, which I dislike compared to TaxCut.

Since it's my first year filing with my son as a dependent and I have to consider things like the child care credit, child tax credit, spousal employer child care contributions & K-1 forms I might do my taxes by hand, then run it by an accountant and see if my calculations are good.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-01-26, 16:37

There is no way in hell that I won't be laying down $60 to have my taxes done for me. Again.