User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

STFU Reporters.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
STFU Reporters.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-25, 21:17

Our local paper. Things like this just piss me off. Sony, HP, Dell computers have problems all the time. But Apple computers have one little problem and it's "OMG APPLE SUCKS, POOR QUALITY CONTROL! DON'T BUY!" Even though Apple is repairing the laptops for free...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...y/15812068.htm


alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-25, 22:05

Dunno, seemed pretty straightforward to me. Nothing in the article wasn't true, and I haven't had a single Dell that randomly shuts down like the MacBooks have been doing.

Sounds like they're calling a lemon a lemon.

If Apple really is trying to break into the Windows PC world, they need better quality control plain and simple. The fact that a lot of veteran Mac owners will tell people to skip the first revision of an Apple product isn't superstition either.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-10-25, 23:51

Headline was a bit "sour", but the article seemed fair.

Lots of loyal people who want a solid product.

Tossing in the iPod "virus" thing was a bit harsh as well...

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-26, 06:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Of Love View Post
Headline was a bit "sour", but the article seemed fair.

Lots of loyal people who want a solid product.

Tossing in the iPod "virus" thing was a bit harsh as well...
I didn't think it was harsh. It was an example of problems they've been having lately. Overall, I actually thought the article was pretty good.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-10-26, 07:43

No one is perfect. No big deal so what don't sweat it.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-26, 14:34

My friend sent it to me. He was thinking of buying a Mac. Now he's all worried about Apple computers. You just never see newspapers reporting about dells, or HPs. But one thing goes wrong with an Apple computer...


Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-10-26, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie View Post
My friend sent it to me. He was thinking of buying a Mac. Now he's all worried about Apple computers. You just never see newspapers reporting about dells, or HPs. But one thing goes wrong with an Apple computer...
Sure you do. The media was all over the Dell battery thing. I even saw a redneck on TV talking about how his battery exploded. That was a Sony problem, but they pinned it on Dell initially (before the other batteries blew).

They hardly jump on every Apple problem, either. MBP overheating, MBP battery warping, discolored MacBooks, and other problems haven't been widely covered. The St. Paul Pioneer Press isn't exactly an example of what every media outlet in the country is saying, either.

Finally, one of the cornerstones of journalism is to report things that are interesting. People are interested in Apple because Macs are becoming trendy in some circles (college students, some business travelers, educators) and Apple spends millions advertising how reliable their computers are. Nobody gives a rat's ass about HP or Dell. They're not interesting to the average person watching or reading the news. Their problems don't get attention because they're not as interesting.

The article wasn't slanted, nor was their choice to report on Apple. Media outlets are businesses. They don't report on uninteresting subjects because if they did that, eventually people would stop paying attention. Then advertisers run away and the paper/tv station/web site folds. The media has a vested interest in gettign the story right, but also in making sure it's interesting. The paper in question is not a technology publication, so their audience doesn't have an interest in every little hardware failure.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317