Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Explosion in Toronto

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Explosion in Toronto
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-10, 04:32

We were just winding down tonight when we were all startled by what sounded like thunder. When we kept hearing smaller rumblings, we went to see what it was, and this is what we saw. We have no idea of what happened yet; we're guessing a gas explosion or something like that. We're still waiting for news stories. I can't imagine that no one was injured. About 45 minutes later, they seemed to have whatever it was under control.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-08-10, 07:34

Looks like it was a propane depot...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-08-10, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Post
A Toronto resident posted this incredible video on YouTube, around minute 1:50 a massive fireball erupts from the site of a smaller blaze.

linky
And although your pics are better than the ones accompanying either story, the Flickr set has some stunning ones.

Assuming they're too fresh for Photoshoppery.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 09:13

Aw, c'mon, y'all know it's just a viral marketing scheme for Cloverfield II...

Seriously, wow. That's incredible.
¡Damned!

2008-08-10, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Aw, c'mon, y'all know it's just a viral marketing scheme for Cloverfield II...
You read my mind.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-08-10, 09:23

The first few shakycam seconds of the video I was afeared of the same thing.

Thankfully the shooter STFU for most of it.

Ergo !Cloverfield II
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-08-10, 21:51

I've got several friends who haven't called back since the explosion. Granted, they live on the south-central side of town, but it doesn't mean I'm not worried sick.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2008-08-10, 22:34

Yeah, I'm surprised InactionMan hasn't popped in for an update. I remember him talking about being at York for a bit, but I don't think he's ever mentioned where he lives exactly (though I think he must live downtown).

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-10, 22:40

Someone call Hank Hill. The man knows how to handle propane....

Meantime, hope all you Torontonians (?) are doing OK up there and that no one is hurt.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-10, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
And although your pics are better than the ones accompanying either story, the Flickr set has some stunning ones.

Assuming they're too fresh for Photoshoppery.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteh/2749304882/"]
These two look photoshopped IMO. The clouds have been altered in the first one almost certainly.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 22:54

I'm not so sure - you have a smoke plume, and a massive column of hot air coming from two sources... the smoke from *something* burning, and the clear superheated air from burning propane. (It burns with no smoke.)

The hot air is pushing the smoke out of the way, causing that odd formation. It looks weird, no doubt, but if you consider that foreground lighter area is being punched up by a clear, hotter, column, it makes sense. It's catching the light from the flames below more directly because it's concave, so it's brighter.

I do think it's had color enhancement though, to make it 'pop'.
¡Damned!

2008-08-10, 23:02

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised InactionMan hasn't popped in for an update. I remember him talking about being at York for a bit, but I don't think he's ever mentioned where he lives exactly (though I think he must live downtown).
I was out of town for the weekend so I missed out on the excitement. I lived about as far away from there as possible but from what I hear the explosion could still be heard way down where I am. I think the creepiest part was the shots of busiest highway in North America completely empty all day. Seeing the 401 look like that was probably a commuters wet dream.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2008-08-10, 23:09

Flickr applies sharpening and color correction to every photo uploaded to it.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-11, 00:43

Those photos were up within about 2 hours of the explosion, and I doubt that anyone would bother to photoshop them. I mean, it was a HUGE explosion, why photoshop it unless it's to make it funny or something?

As a result of this, we're going to get one of those hand-crank radios. We couldn't find anything on it until about 2 hours later, and when you're relatively close to a massive explosion, you want to know what the heck is going on. Apparently the radio was reporting on it within about 30 minutes of it happening. Not obsolete yet, I guess!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 10:07

Any word on whether it was the terrerists coming to get us? Alert level Orange.5?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-08-11, 10:59

Ugh. There were some interviews on the news with dullards saying they thought it was an attack of some sort. One dullard even said she thought it was an "invasion" of some sort. Really, so not only is Toronto the next big target for terrorist but they picked the highly strategic location of fucking Keele and Wilson? Maybe the terrorist thought the Downsview airfield was still the home to Canada's almost non-existent Air Force. I'm sure it freaked people out but who the hell would think if terrorists were going to hit Toronto they'd pick somewhere in the suburbs on a Sunday morning instead of say, Bay and Wellington on a busy weekday afternoon.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-11, 13:35

Quote:
Really, so not only is Toronto the next big target for terrorist but they picked the highly strategic location of fucking Keele and Wilson

WTF. I've heard of Canadians who are paranoid the US is going to invade because of oil sands, but that's just retarded. Hopefully you media played that person in the most caricature-like and comical way possible; they deserve all the ridicule they get.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-11, 14:30

Well, in the heat of the moment your mind flies to the first cause it can think of. The first thing I thought (somewhat amused) was "did those American bastards finally decide to try invading again?". Then when I saw that it was only happening in one place I thought it might be a terrorist attack. Then I thought about it, and thought exactly that - they wouldn't attack North York at 4am.

Now I figured that out after a minute or two of thinking about it (I also guessed that it must be a propane or gas station based on the noise). But I would imagine that in the heat of the moment, people might think it was a terrorist attack. You don't have much time to think in a situation like that, and your brain probably settles on the first explanation that makes any sense. I think you're just trying to assess what it is so that you know how to react, and functionally speaking "terrorist attack" got the job done - they got the hell out of there.

Actually, I think it would be weird if people didn't think "terrorist attack" based on what we've seen in the media over and over again in the past 7 years. We also have an alleged group of home-grown terrorists on trial here right now, so it's not totally out of the question, either (who knows what home-grown nut-jobs would do?).

I was kinda disappointed when I realized it wasn't the Yanks, though. I've been waiting for an excuse to use my chain-gun I've got mounted to my balcony .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post

WTF. I've heard of Canadians who are paranoid the US is going to invade because of oil sands, but that's just retarded. Hopefully you media played that person in the most caricature-like and comical way possible; they deserve all the ridicule they get.
Trying to make us nice and comfortable so we're not expecting it, eh? Not going to work, Moogs!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-11, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Well, in the heat of the moment your mind flies to the first cause it can think of. The first thing I thought (somewhat amused) was "did those American bastards finally decide to try invading again?". Then when I saw that it was only happening in one place I thought it might be a terrorist attack. Then I thought about it, and thought exactly that - they wouldn't attack North York at 4am.

Now I figured that out after a minute or two of thinking about it (I also guessed that it must be a propane or gas station based on the noise). But I would imagine that in the heat of the moment, people might think it was a terrorist attack. You don't have much time to think in a situation like that, and your brain probably settles on the first explanation that makes any sense.
I think that's exactly the point - the idea that when *anything* bad happens, the first explanation is a terrorist attack... that doesn't make any sense. Crap happens. Crap has always happened. Crap will always happen. The idea that for crap to happen requires a boogyman (or Saaaaaaaaatan) is for kids. And let's face it, given an even somewhat rational risk assessment, terrorism is far, far, FAR down on the list of reasonable explanations for pretty much anything.

But you're right, we're being trained to be afraid, not to think for ourselves, and to just freak out and hope for Someone Else to swoop in and save us, be it God or Government, it's all the same crap.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2008-08-11 at 16:10.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-08-11, 15:30

Cargo cult?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-08-11, 16:11

Pretty much. It's a CULTure of fear, that's for sure. Anytime someone else can convince you that you're helpless, and only they can save you... you're fucked.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-08-11, 18:00

Only Tom Cruise can save you, and you know this.

He can fly.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-08-11, 18:09

Well, thankfully people got the hell out of there, so whatever they thought it was didn't matter too much from a survival standpoint. If people were still convinced it was a terrorist attack after the fact, that would be a whole different story.