Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Celebrity Deathmatch : Apple's Aperture versus Adobe Lightroom

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Celebrity Deathmatch : Apple's Aperture versus Adobe Lightroom
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-12-10, 14:09

I'm ready to move on from iPhoto to something super-mega butch and I know that there are enough users among you guys to give some "rah rah rah" to each application... so please, for the edification of other users like me who are perched on the edge of being ready to jump to pro application..... FIGHT!!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-12-10, 14:25

Just try the trial version of each and see which one works best for you.

I chose Aperture due to the way it interacts with other Apple products. Aperture does seem to have a little more overhead, so I hope you have a lot of RAM because under some conditions it eats it up.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-12-10, 15:00

See also the Similar Threads below for the last few laps round this particular barrel.

Depends on your needs and workflow preferences.

The Trial is full featured, so you can go nuts poking and prodding, but use another drive so your originals are preserved and you can explore the default internal archive structures of each.
Aperture creates a single massive archive package (which can be a pain, but has advantages over iPhoto-style massive subdirectory tree). YMMV

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-12-10, 15:59

Dammit. I did a SEARCH before posting this thread. Dammit.
Dutch Pear

2008-12-10, 17:56

Aperture FTW

Why?

It does everything I need it too in very slick way (especially since 2.0 came out)
I love the integration with mobileme's web-albums
It LOOKS way better/slicker than Lightroom IMHO

Other than that, I already used aperture when LR came out so I never really bothered trying that extensively as Aperture was doing everything I needed it to very well (and still does).
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-10, 23:11

Another vote for Aperture. I like the integration with the other Apple products and the way it easily handles using Photoshop for my external editor.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-11, 09:50

Prefer Aperture 2 over LR1, but LR2 over Aperture 2. Better editing capabilities, superior metadata and filtering tools, and a process that's easier to understand just by looking at the UI (though Apple's UI is cleaner in general). Apple needs to get rid of the Library concept but Aperture 2 is certainly a big improvement over v1.5. As for output to Photoshop, there's only so much either application can do. Not sure why that would be on someone's favorite list. For raw workflows, basically it starts and ends at "Open in Photoshop", though you can of course make the UI access points better than the other guy.

...into the light of a dark black night.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2008-12-11, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Prefer Aperture 2 over LR1, but LR2 over Aperture 2. Better editing capabilities, superior metadata and filtering tools, and a process that's easier to understand just by looking at the UI (though Apple's UI is cleaner in general). Apple needs to get rid of the Library concept but Aperture 2 is certainly a big improvement over v1.5.
QFT. I used to use Aperture but went with LR2 when it came out. Havent looked back since.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-12-12, 12:17

It really is a very slick and powerful program that offers a true A-Z solution for starting your workflow. It's got all of Bridge's and ACRs best capabilities -targeted adjustments, smart collections, web galleries and all- but packaged in a much more elegant UI. And obviously a few capabilities Bridge doesn't have as well. About the only thing Aperture has over Lightroom 2 is the ability to layout books in a very intuitive way and move that process forward. If LR2 had that capability I don't think I'd even look at Aperture 2 as an occasional solution.

That said, I *want* Aperture to be better and be there as a constant competitor (a la Final Cut and Premiere Pro) so LR doesn't languish. Photographers are better off with both tools being available IMO.

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-12-12, 13:13

I'm going to buy Lightroom 2, after hearing that the Apple application jams everything into some sort of proprietary library file. I don't like any sort of jiggery-pokery. If I need immediate access to a file I want to navigate to it, outside of an application's control.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-12-12, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'm going to buy Lightroom 2, after hearing that the Apple application jams everything into some sort of proprietary library file. I don't like any sort of jiggery-pokery. If I need immediate access to a file I want to navigate to it, outside of an application's control.
Well, you can always kludge access from OSX 'Show Package Contents' on the archive file... but Joe Public wouldn't necessarily know that as a workaround.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-12-12, 14:51

You do not have to use the Aperture Library to store your photos. Unlike iPhoto, you can have them wherever you want them.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-12-12, 17:19

I gave them both a trial earlier in the year - LR2 vs Aperture 2 - after having no experience digitally beyond iPhoto (no Photoshop, nor even any experience with Photoshop Elements). I chose Aperture 2 because I far preferred its UI. There was something klunky about the LR 2 layout and workflow. I also just completed a photobook, which was a real pleasure to do in Aperture 2; I am not sure of LR 2's capabilities in that regard.

One thing I will say is that if you have either LR 2 or Aperture 2, I am not sure that you absolutely need Photoshop. Both now have a lot of extra capabilities, and everything else is available through plug-ins.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-12, 19:31

Yeah, one of the best features of Aperture is you can control your own library. You don't have to have it manage your images if you don't want to.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-01, 12:08

Does Lightroom export metadata when exporting an image?

I'm working to geocode most of my images now (especially right now while on vacation) but when I export the image from Aperture the metadata is missing. Seems odd to not even have the original photo date and time stamp. I'd really like to be able to geocode these but Aperture isn't playing nice. Am I doing it wrong? Does Lightroom handle this better?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-04-01, 12:30

Aperture can export metadata (either embedded or as a sidecar), but you have to check the options carefully.