AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 2 of 21 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 15:10

An ad I *really* loved from a few years ago I first saw at the movie theater. Later I think I saw it on tv a few times, but it was SO much better on the big screen.

It was an ad for the US Marines - a guy with a sword, fighting a dragon. And then he turns into a Marine in his dress blues and white hat.

The guy was hunky and gorgeous, naturally. But the ad was wonderful. I guess the music was fantastic too. In fact, iirc, the music was unbelievably great, rousing, thrilling, etc., and went perfectly with the dashing and glorious action sequence.

It has been a long time since I've seen this ad, but I remember that I loved it a lot.

Does anyone else remember that ad?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-07-12, 15:10

Radio commercials:

SUNDAY SUNDAY at the US 30 DRAGSTRIP!!!!

I love those is that a midwest thing or are they everywhere?
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-07-12, 15:16

this is the same thread currently taking many pages on another board i visit.....interesting...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 15:23

OH!

How could I forget?! A few years ago, we had these ads that were developed locally, iirc; and then I think they went national, or at least into a few other states, because they were SO effective.

The one I remember best was of a teenage guy and his girlfriend sitting in a movie theater watching the screen, and he is holding a large drink cup into which he is surreptitiously spitting tobacco juice.

Without looking, his girlfriend absentmindedly reaches over for a sip of his pepsi, takes the cup from his hand (he doesn't notice what she's doing), and takes a huge swallow... of all that brown tobacco spit.

Omg! Everyone just died when they saw that the first few times. It was a complete and utter gross-out. *shudder*

Did anyone ever see that one? I 'think' it went national, but I'm not really sure.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpace
this is the same thread currently taking many pages on another board i visit.....interesting...
Hmm. At what time (US Eastern time) was the first post made in that thread, if you don't mind checking? Thanks.

Just curious.

Kind of a strange coincidence, I'd say.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-12, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
OH!

How could I forget?! A few years ago, we had these ads that were developed locally, iirc; and then I think they went national, or at least into a few other states, because they were SO effective.

The one I remember best was of a teenage guy and his girlfriend sitting in a movie theater watching the screen, and he is holding a large drink cup into which he is surreptitiously spitting tobacco juice.

Without looking, his girlfriend absentmindedly reaches over for a sip of his pepsi, takes the cup from his hand (he doesn't notice what she's doing), and takes a huge swallow... of all that brown tobacco spit.

Omg! Everyone just died when they saw that the first few times. It was a complete and utter gross-out. *shudder*

Did anyone ever see that one? I 'think' it went national, but I'm not really sure.
Ew.

When I was in California with my entourage (okay, my friend's entourage), we rented this big H2 limo. It was based on the H2 SUT, so the back end was a convertable - I think it was the only one in the state like that. Right after we leave the Walt Disney Concert Hall (Frank Gehry > Frank Lloyd Wright, Carol!) this guy in a dumpy car throws a Big Gulp at us - it nails my friend, and gets us all really sticky and nasty. At least, we thought it was a Big Gulp. After examining the inside of the cup, we discover that he was using the cup as a tobacco spittoon. It was so disgusting.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Ew.

When I was in California with my entourage (okay, my friend's entourage), we rented this big H2 limo. It was based on the H2 SUT, so the back end was a convertable - I think it was the only one in the state like that. Right after we leave the Walt Disney Concert Hall (Frank Gehry > Frank Lloyd Wright, Carol!) this guy in a dumpy car throws a Big Gulp at us - it nails my friend, and gets us all really sticky and nasty. At least, we thought it was a Big Gulp. After examining the inside of the cup, we discover that he was using the cup as a tobacco spittoon. It was so disgusting.
Oh god. That's truly, truly horrible.

People like that... ....scum of the earth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-12, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Radio commercials:

SUNDAY SUNDAY at the US 30 DRAGSTRIP!!!!

I love those is that a midwest thing or are they everywhere?
That's universal, my man.

We don't have them here as much, but I remember when I was in high school we used to have TONS of drag races, tractor pulls, monster truck competitions, rodeos, demolition derbies, car/hotrod shows, etc. coming through town.

The announcer on the radio spots for all this stuff would do his schtick screaming into a mic, growling and so forth, with TONS of echo/delay, etc.

That's a midwest thing, a Southern thing, a northeast thing, a west coast thing, etc. I've heard it EVERYWHERE I've ever lived!

Apparently it's the standard "Loud-Ass, Gasoline-Scented Blue Collar/White Belly/Redneck Automotive Event at the Local Fairgrounds this Weekend!!!" announcing voice. Must be the same guy!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-07-12 at 16:14.
urbanswashbuckler

2006-07-12, 16:31

speaking of radio...the one commerical (or seires of commercials) that i hate with a passion were ones theyd play on the radio for NBC's shows.

here are 4 people, theyre young and hip chattering on about such and such show that you missed last night (so you feel left out) then go on to talk about tonights shows, like sucha nd such is soooo funny, then they start laughing (so you have a chance to be cool)

first of all
who the frick are they, and what do i care about their opinion..and why am i supposed to try to be one of them...its just piss poor marketing left over from the early ninties..

of which any commerical with the word extreme in it...ITS EXTREEEEMMMMMMEEEE!!!!!

can we just kill that word now. please.

anyway, to the afore mentioned hate...i actually worte my local radio station about it(alt rock) and they said they recieved many complaints, and i couldnt find a way to reach nbc to tell them how much i would avoid their programing (except my name is earl, but thats a kevin smith thing)

that commercial is one of the main reasons i switched to sirius...much like my computer constantly freezing is why i switched to a Mac.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-07-12, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavist13
I hate those stupid-ass Taco Bell "good to go" commercials. They're so annoying.
Yeah, what the hell does "classic made-modern" even mean?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Oh god. That's truly, truly horrible.

People like that... ....scum of the earth.
Which - the guy throwing the spittoon, or driving the H2 limo?
ironlung

2006-07-12, 19:06

OH how i hate those safe auto ads. They really piss me off. And the new subway ones ("subway eat fresh!"), especially for demeaning such a great song (take five, dave brubeck).

Edit: The taco bell ads are quite annoying as well. They're advertising a lot these days. Maybe taco bell isnt doing so hot in sales these days? I havent eaten there in over 4 years, when I found raw chicken in my wrap.

I like the new hp ad. Its a play on an old hp printer ad.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-07-12, 19:09

A few that I can think of -

Adidas Jose+10 commercials that aired during this year's World Cup.

The Terry Tate (Office Linebacker) commercials that aired during the Super Bowl and on Reebok's web site a couple years ago.

Honda commercial with the chain reaction of all the parts for one of their cars(minivans)?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-07-12, 19:17

Love the Citroen C4 adds. Especially the latest. Where car tuns into robot and skates on ice. Hate the new Honda Civic one.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung
OH how i hate those safe auto ads. They really piss me off. And the new subway ones ("subway eat fresh!"),
Am I the only one that keeps thinking he's saying "Subway... eat FLESH!"

I mean, it'd be kind of cool if he was, but...

No? Just me?

Okay.
ironlung

2006-07-12, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

No? Just me?

Okay.
Hmm. I guess i'll pay closer attention next time. Gives me a reason to actually watch the commercial.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-12, 21:02

I loathe adverts generally, especially when they turn the volume up in advert breaks.. Like I am not already pissed enough that I have to watch your crap, now you try to force me to listen by making the volume so loud even my next door neighbor can hear your sleazy sales pitch... It's so f*&^ing patronizing!

I actually don't buy products if the advert annoys me. Period. Even if I use them regularly I will ditch them in favour of something else.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MCQ
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I actually don't buy products if the advert annoys me. Period. Even if I use them regularly I will ditch them in favour of something else.
Does that mean you actually liked the Switch ads and the Mac/PC ads?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-07-12, 21:19

Heh.

I have hardly seen 'any' of the commercials people are mentioning.

I guess that's what I get for being addicted to the Home and Garden channel (interior design programs) and not watching 'normal' tv like everyone else.

Speaking of the Home and Garden channel, there's this one ad for a program called "What's Up with 'That' House?" where this girl is lying face down on the floor in the hallway and moving her arms across the parquet like a scene from one of those vampire movies where the vampire (in human form) is crawling up a wall.

Yuck. I hate that commercial. It's just too weird and gives me the creeps. (I bet NO one here has even seen it. )

Those commercials with a giant car that has tires the size of ferris wheels so it can climb over a stack of other cars and crush them to bits... I don't mind the whole car thing, but the announcers always seem to have to scream at the tops of their lungs, and speak so fast and urgently. It makes me want to throw a vase through the tv screen just to shut them up.

Btw, has anyone been watching that show on TLC called Take Home Chef with that incredibly sexy Aussie guy? Omg, he is just too delicious.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-07-12 at 21:27.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-07-12, 21:19

@MCQ

Yup, I did actually.. They also got an unfair advantage over other ads in that they were not on tv anywhere I was, so I had to choose to watch them.

I also actually genuinely enjoyed them overall. Some were better than others..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-12, 21:40

Favorite commercials (besides Honda UK ads)?

Hanes Her Way.

... yeah......
ironlung

2006-07-12, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

No? Just me?

Okay.
Definitely fresh. I heard the rolling r
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-07-12, 21:51

Oh yeah --

The new Red Stripe beer commercials are really fun. They've come up with the BEST tagline for beer, hands down:

"Hooray beer!"
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 22:01

I despise ads that come on the car radio and feature either a cell phone ringing or a siren.

There oughta be a law.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2006-07-12, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Oh yeah --

The new Red Stripe beer commercials are really fun. They've come up with the BEST tagline for beer, hands down:

"Hooray beer!"
I was going to mention those. They're not that new, but still funny to watch.
octavist13

2006-07-13, 10:30

Yeah, beer just pretty much sells itself, so the "Hooray Beer" is kinda funny.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-13, 10:46

Those Lindsay Wagner Sleep Number bed commercials.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-13, 10:50

What about them? You love or hate them? You didn't specify.

I like how she says "recuperative".

Hey, it's Jamie Summers...she's still hot, bionic or otherwise.

Sauvblanc

2006-07-13, 11:00

My favourite ad of all time!

For an Australian beer. It was just hilarious.

Oh, of course, the Joe Canadian rant/advert. Loved that. Was in Oz when it first came out and I used to annoy the hell out of my lab mates by playing it incessantly.

But generally hate ads on the whole.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-13, 11:09

Now THAT is a commercial!

Is that all "real", or a lot of CGI for the far shots? If it's real, it's extra-super impressive.