Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Which mouse should I get?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which mouse should I get?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-20, 14:18

I'm moving my Cube downstairs to become the family computer soon, but first I need to get a new keyboard and mouse. I'm using the Apple Pro Keyboard/Mouse that came with the Cube on my Powerbook right now, and they will need to be moved downstairs with the other computer.

So, I need a new mouse and keyboard. I've decided on the Macally iceKey, because I really like the scissor keys that the Powerbook has, and, unlike the Kensington Slimtype (which also has scissor keys), it has two USB ports on the sides like the Apple Pro Keyboard. Since my Powerbook only has two USB ports, both would be taken up by the mouse and keyboard. I don't want to have to buy a hub.

That means I need a good USB mouse. So far, I'm considering the:

Kensington PilotMouse Optical Pro
Macally Dotmouse
Logitech LX7
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer

That's all I've found so far, though I'm sure I've missed some manufacturers. I'm still not sure whether or not to look at the Mighty Mouse. I haven't been over to the Apple Store in a while.

So does anyone have any suggestions on those, or on other mice I should consider? Wireless would be nice, whether it's Bluetooth or RF. I don't think I'd have any lag problems with Bluetooth, because the mouse is about twelve inches from the antennas on my Powerbook.

I'm still not sure what I want in a mouse. Any ideas are welcome.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-20, 14:52

Logitech MX1000 > *

It's rather expensive, though. The MSRP is $80 and NewEgg charges $60 after shipping. But it's really, really good. It has great battery life, a battery indicator, a charging station, excellent tracking, excellent comfort, and it has a lot of buttons. There are very few disadvantages, and they are minor. First of all, it's expensive, but I think it's worth it since you use a mouse CONSTANTLY and you want it to be as good as possible. Secondly, it's only suitable for right-handers. The battery is built into the mouse and while it might be replaceable, it's not as easy as just tossing in a AA cell or two. Logitech's software in general is not very good at all. Most notably, there's no way to adjust horizontal scrolling speed, which is far too slow to be useful in OS X. And finally, it's not perfect for a mobile setup since the wireless receiver is also a charger and serves as a base station. It's bulky and uses a power cord to charge the mouse's battery.

So I'd say the MX1000 is by far the best desktop mouse. If you're looking for something cheaper, I might suggest a Kensington. Their PilotMouse series has always felt high-quality to me, and very comfortable with rubber grips all around instead of hard plastic.

Don't get an MS mouse. They're not the worst, but they're still really cheap and I have always felt I'd be able to crush the mouse in my hand by simply squeezing a little too hard. I've used worse mice, but MS gets the nod for the worst mice from a major company.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-20, 15:33

Thanks, Luca. I was hoping you'd chime in on this.

I should mention that I do not want a mobile mouse. It needs to be a full-sized mouse built for a desktop. I don't have very large hands (in fact, they're pretty small), but I can't stand some of those tiny little mobile mice. Something at least as large as the Apple Pro Mouse.

I'm left handed, but I use the mouse with my right hand. Actually, now that I think about it, the only thing I do with my left hand is write.

The MX1000 is definitely too expensive. I think I've narrowed it down to the Kensington PilotMouse and Logitech LX7. Both are about the same price, and both are wireless. It seems to me that the rubber grips on the PilotMouse might be a problem with sweat, though my hands don't get too sweaty.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-20, 16:03

Actually, I've used a PilotMouse and I think it would HELP if you have sweaty hands. The rubber grips along the sides are textured instead of flat, so they let your skin breathe more than a flat surface does. I do notice that my MX1000's flat plastic casing sometimes causes my hands to sweat. I don't think using rubber instead really increases or reduces how much your hands sweat, but the texture does affect it, and in that regard the PilotMouse is really nice.

Kensington's software for OS X is also fairly decent. Not astonishingly good, but it's better than Logitech's, and it lets you customize different button setups based on which application you're using.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-11-20, 16:04

Well, in that case, I think I've made my decision. I'll get the PilotMouse. I think it looks better anyways. Thanks, Luca.

Now I have to decide whether or not to change my name from CubeDude to something else.

BTW, is Kensington's website as unreliable for me as it is for everyone else? It's been up and down all day.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-11-21, 20:04

I saw the MX1000 for $35 last week after savings and a rebate. Keep your eyes open because it's really a phenomenal mouse. I bought it about 6 months ago for $60 and I haven't regretted it for a second, I love this thing.

Come waste your time with me
AP0808

2005-12-30, 13:17

I got some years ago a mouse-in-a-box Optical Pro KENSINGTON . Absolutely terrific ; could be programmed for each application ; allowed large combinations of shortcuts (and all the short cuts) . I acquired one month ago a MX510 (only one shortcut ) and for all applications ; so i got the Pilot Mouse --> combinations of shortcuts (some are not allowed) and for all aplications !!!!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-30, 14:43

The Macally Dotmouse is cheap $18-20. Other than the light on it (man is it bright) I like it and use it on the go with my iBook if I get tired of using the trackpad. I use my Mighty Mouse on my desktop machine, but if you think that the MX1000 is $$$, then Mighty Mouse is too. I admit I am suprised how much money they charge for mouses these days.
patrickatm08

Send a message via AIM to patrickatm08  
2005-12-30, 15:35

I have a Logitech LX7 on my PC, and it works fine. I really like it. My hand fits on it well, much better than the Microsoft one. I had a Best Buy gift card and bought a Microsoft one, then after thinking about it for 2 hours, and realizing I didn't want to have anything more to do with Bill Gates, I returned it and got the cheaper Logitech. A friend of mine went through a Microsoft mouse in less than 4 months, after having it repaired once. As with all Microsoft products, I didn't find this unusual. I would recommend the Logitech LX7 from my own personal experience. Good luck and Happy New Year.

White Macbook 2.0, 1gb RAM, 60gb HDD
1gb Shuffle, 4gb 2gen silver Mini
Shure e4 headphones
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2005-12-31, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Don't get an MS mouse. They're not the worst, but they're still really cheap and I have always felt I'd be able to crush the mouse in my hand by simply squeezing a little too hard. I've used worse mice, but MS gets the nod for the worst mice from a major company.
Hrm, I would have said the exact opposite

I've been using the Ms IntelliMouse Optical 1.0a for a very long time now and I love it. It's cheap, it has good sized front and back buttons on the left and right side of the mouse, the scroll wheel is textured (and has never given me problems... after 2 months I'm on my second MM because of scroll ball dirt). Great stuff, I keep 1 spare, just in case MS stops selling them in a few years...

I think Logitechs (the ones I as a lefty can use) are flimsy, buttons are to small, drivers suck, they're too expensive and the new textured ones (with the "dents") make my eyes hurt when I look at them...

anyway,

Paul.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-31, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
...and I have always felt I'd be able to crush the mouse in my hand by simply squeezing a little too hard...
So YOU'RE the actor who played man hands on Seinfeld, hehe.

I would second Luca's recommendation of the Logitech, its a nice dependable mouse from what I have seen.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Ryan
Veteran Member

2005-12-31, 16:02

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

I got the Kensington Pilot Mouse Pro Optical a while ago, and I'm happy with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-26, 19:38

It's that time again! I need a new mouse too. I've noticed my Logitech Performance MX has started double clicking when no double click has been clicked.

Suggestions?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Ryan
Veteran Member

2012-04-21, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
It's that time again! I need a new mouse too. I've noticed my Logitech Performance MX has started double clicking when no double click has been clicked.

Suggestions?
Funny, I just bought that mouse a few weeks ago. Buy another one?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2012-05-14, 23:54

I've had two Logitech MX518's for years. Both work fine even after going through some gaming sessions.

It's a rightie-only mouse, and has two thumb side buttons that work great for exposé / spaces.

Don't be fooled by the pictures, the top of the mouse is smooth plastic, not bashed-in carbon fibre!! ;-)

Oh, it's a wired mouse, but being an ex gamer, a wireless mouse was out of the question when I got it.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-05-17, 23:02

I've been using the MX500/510/518->G400 for the past decade. Good all around mouse with just the right amount of buttons. Might be a little big for people with smaller hands.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2012-05-22, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post

Suggestions?
Call Logitech and send it in! They've been awesome about warranty replacement for me.

Heh, funny seeing my younger self recommend the MX1000. That mouse's middle click died on me a couple years after I got it. Found a deal on an MX Revolution, which was okay until the skin started peeling off. Told Logitech about it and they had me send it in and shipped me a new Performance MX as a replacement.

If I were buying a new mouse, though, I'd get something cheaper and simpler. At work I use the original (white) Microsoft Intellimouse which is pretty solid, probably a good 10 years old and still going strong.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-05-22, 12:48

I've been using a Logitech M705 for about six months now, and it's great. I didn't pay stupid money for it, and it seems to have most of the features of the MX.

Also, the batteries last for ages... They claim 3 years!