User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iMac: To buy or not to buy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac: To buy or not to buy?
iBeard

2005-01-14, 12:35

I'm probably buying a 20" bluetooth iMac in the next two weeks. Do you guys think that this is wise? I know that it is a Rev. A, but I haven't heard of too many problems with it. I really need this for a videography job I have in early March so I can't wait until April/May for a 200Mhz proc boost (even though I would like a better video card...). Do you think there is any possible way they would do a Feb/March update, or no? Thank you.
Wraven

2005-01-14, 12:48

Personally I think you'll be happy with it. I've played around with the 20" iMac G5 at the Apple Store here in Plano and I think it is very good.

Cheers,
Wraven
iBeard

2005-01-14, 12:56

heh, the Plano store is where i'll be buying it from. =)'

My big concern is really the fact that it is a rev. A, and I've heard not-such good things about Apple's first gen stuff.

Last edited by iBeard : 2005-01-14 at 13:15.
blindfox

2005-01-14, 18:13

They just got a new 20" iMac at work for one of the designers. (upped to 1.25 gb memory)

I had a good muck around with it - very impressive machine. I opened as many apps as I could, was running garage band, reading websites and it still ran very smoothly. And OSX was very snappy - a huge improvement over my iBook 600.

And not to mention the 20" screen! Awesome! It's also whisper quiet.

Don't know about any rev A problems, but I will definitely try to purchase one soon to replace the iBook. It seems to be a really sweet spot in the price vs performance area.

I wouldn't be too worried about the 64 mb video card, unless you plan on running intensive 3D games, it should be more than sufficient for all other stuff.

In regard to updates, I was thinking of waiting too - but who knows how far away they may be? Unless you really need some gutsy video power, I think in it's current form it's a pretty good buy.

Cheers, Nick
iBeard

2005-01-14, 18:21

Yeah, this is not a gaming machine, I have a PC for that. This is going to be for everyday use (internet/email/music) and more importantly for Final Cut Pro. (i'm going to upgrade the RAM as soon as I get the money to)
FallenFromTheTree

2005-01-14, 18:56

I really do like the new iMacs, however a G5 1.8Ghz or 2.0Ghz Dual Processor tower used with any existing display would give you way more computer for your dollar.

The G5 towers are readily available with the faster 128 & 256MB graphics cards and far more upgradable for professional use.

If you simply must have a flat screen display, the market is wide open.

The iMac's 64MB graphics card is soldered into place, so upgrading later
may not be so easy.

No one is sure how the vertically mounted iMac Superdrive will hold up
over time. The G5 tower's horizontal drives are well proven.

The iMac's all in one design is very nice to look at, but one should
consider it's limitations for professional use.

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited by FallenFromTheTree : 2005-01-14 at 19:06.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-01-14, 23:30

Buy it... I highly doubt that we will see an update until April or May. The iMacs won't be updated until we see a G5 Tower update.
holbox

2005-01-14, 23:37

I'm gonna buy one too. But, I'm gonna wait till Tiger is on it. Hate to do it, but if I'm getting a new machine I want it to come with the latest software!
blindfox

2005-01-15, 01:42

True, you have to ask yourself what you really need it for... But buying a decent 20" wide screen aswell is going to set you back a few dollars.

If you don't frequently see yourself working with 600mb photoshop files, the iMac's a bargain.

The dual 1.8 isn't that much faster, and also keep in mind that it's been kitted out with 2gb of ram! more dollars there. I wonder if the iMac had 2gb of ram aswell when they did the benchmark?

Cheers, Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFromTheTree
I really do like the new iMacs, however a G5 1.8Ghz or 2.0Ghz Dual Processor tower used with any existing display would give you way more computer for your dollar.
blindfox

2005-01-15, 01:44

I'm in the same boat! but I don't know if I can hold out.

As long as it comes bundled with the new iLife I'll be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
I'm gonna buy one too. But, I'm gonna wait till Tiger is on it. Hate to do it, but if I'm getting a new machine I want it to come with the latest software!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-15, 01:48

Haha, I love that "benchmark." I wonder how they got those results?

Hmm... 45-filter function test. Probably each one is selected because it's highly optimized for AltiVec, dual processors, or something like that where the Mac will have a clear advantage. Then if each filter shows a 2% advantage over the PC, you've add 'em all up and get 98% faster!

Not saying that Macs are bad at all, but using Apple's own "tests" to make any kind of purchasing decision is really dumb IMO.
blindfox

2005-01-15, 02:04

Agreed, I'm sick to death of the "Photoshop Benchmark"! It has no relavance to everyday usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Haha, I love that "benchmark." I wonder how they got those results?

Hmm... 45-filter function test. Probably each one is selected because it's highly optimized for AltiVec, dual processors, or something like that where the Mac will have a clear advantage. Then if each filter shows a 2% advantage over the PC, you've add 'em all up and get 98% faster!

Not saying that Macs are bad at all, but using Apple's own "tests" to make any kind of purchasing decision is really dumb IMO.
iBeard

2005-01-15, 11:58

Right, I have just enough to get a 20" iMac, but I can't afford a pMac and a nice display (which is necessary in video editing) so I'm going to go w/ what I can afford. Also, its not like I'm doing HD full uncompressed full length features... I'm just doing a some DV projects for a few clients, nothing big. I've decided to go w/ the 20" iMac, now I'm waiting for Jan. 22 so I can get iLife '05 pre-installed (or at least packaged with it.) Thanks for the advice.