User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

"Hi, Speed." - Apple Event 13 October

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Hi, Speed." - Apple Event 13 October
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-13, 14:46

I've only watched the first 7 minutes of the video so far, and it's so… boring. Formulaic. Predictable.

Some of the effects are really neat, like the rotate-pan-zoom from Tim Cook's HomePod mini to a living room with Nondescript HomePod Manager Dude, but… when everything's a superlative, nothing is.

I'm mildly interested in the HomePod mini. Maybe even two. Why on earth did they have to make them only grey and white, though? You can do a mesh in different colors! Like some teal-ish blue or brown-ish red or whatever, like JBL does: https://de.jbl.com/smart-speaker/LIN...peaker#start=1
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-10-13, 14:53

Another meh event from Apple. iPhone 12 Mini and MagSafe magnetic charging is interesting, but not exciting. No reason to upgrade from the XS I’m using now. No G5 networks here, so useless. HomePod Mini, who cares?

I want to see the Apple silicon Mac Mini, maybe next fall.
Quagmire
meh

2020-10-13, 15:02

iPhone 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue....... MINE!!! Will be breaking my streak of black phones finally.

Though after that I will probably start keeping my phones longer again. Unless the 13 is radically redesigned outside of a smaller notch/removal of the lighting port, better cameras/SoC can only go so far for me. The only reason I have been upgrading every year because there was something I wanted out of the new phone. I joined the Apple Upgrade Program with the 7 Plus the jump to the iPhone X was a no brainer. XS brought back the Plus form factor, and the 11 Pro Max did add the ultra wide camera which I wanted to use for my Italy trip last year. 12 Pro brings 5G and a redesign. So I may opt to keep the 12 Pro Max longer and leave the upgrade program.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I want to see the Apple silicon Mac Mini, maybe next fall.
November.

I hope.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Where's the new threads? I'm too lazy to start them.
I've been waiting for Capella to dive in on that. If not, then tomorrow.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-13, 15:40

We all know they'll roll out new meshes for the HomePods in a subsequent release - accessorizing being popular.

It will be interesting to see what kind of uses the LIDAR will lead to in handsets.

My first act will be to survey my backyard to see if I find any Mayan ruins.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-13, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
My first act will be to survey my backyard to see if I find any Mayan ruins.
If you find Mayan ruins in your backyard, three things are going to happen:

1) The archaeology community is going to go bananas;

2) You are going to be rich;

3) You will be in the next Apple Keynote as a "see what iPhone can do for you" patsy!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-10-13, 21:08

I love the colors of the iPhone 12, but hate to feel like I'm missing out on features of the Pro, especially with the cameras.

Looks like I'll be going to a 512GB iPhone 12 Pro in Blue. Love that color, and since I never put my iPhone in a case, I'll get to look at it for a while.

I've had the green for the last year, and while I like it, I like that Apple is switching it up with the colors each year.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-10-14, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
November.

I hope.
Oooh. Exciting!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-14, 06:07

They did promise they'll be shipping an ARM Mac to customers by the end of this year. Whether it's a Mac mini, I'm not sure.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-10-14, 08:39

I doubt the Mini is high on the list. The MacBooks and iMacs will likely come first.
chucker

2020-10-14, 09:17

Hard to say. Right now, what Mac is really in desperate need of an update?

If they hadn't shipped those Ice Lake MacBooks Air, I think they would've been the perfect candidate for an update. The Mac mini is also fairly old again at this point (one might argue it's because Intel suddenly decided not to do 'B' CPUs any more, but one might also argue it was an unforced error on Apple's part to use a weird special CPU).

My guess is they'll start with a new Air. Maybe they'll bring it back in 12- and 13-inch versions, replacing the 2015 12-inch MacBook and the 2018 Air, finally giving the two a consistent name, and giving them much longer battery life. They might make them fanless, too. That way, they don't have the awkwardness of the Air being faster in some tasks than the Pro.

Then, slowly work your way upwards.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 09:53

I assumed ARM would come to the Mini or Air first.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-14, 11:11

Quote:
ARM came to the Mac Mini first.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 11:34

They don't call it a mini though, they call it a dev kit.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-14, 14:26

Very strange to see Apple give so much time to Verizon and be doing weird incentives/offers on the Apple store specific to carriers.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-14, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
weird incentives/offers on the Apple store specific to carriers.
They are?

The only thing I can see is a $30 difference between AT&T/Verizon and T-Mobile/Sprint models of iPhone 12 (not for the 12 Pro or any other phone model, just the 12 and the 12 Mini) . This may be due to a hardware difference in the phones, a carrier-specific activation charge, or some other mumbo-jumbo. Doesn't look very "incentivized" to me.

Am I missing something else?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-14, 15:34

Quote:
They are?

The only thing I can see is a $30 difference between AT&T/Verizon and T-Mobile/Sprint models of iPhone 12 (not for the 12 Pro or any other phone model, just the 12 and the 12 Mini) . This may be due to a hardware difference in the phones, a carrier-specific activation charge, or some other mumbo-jumbo. Doesn't look very "incentivized" to me.

Am I missing something else?

Apple's store purchasing experience looks worse than a Staples webpage now.

Special Carrier Offers at Apple is plastere at the top of the store screen, there's about a dozen different prices shown, and different term lengths and monthly payments scattered all over the page and different trade-in values and offers, and clicking on ATT and Verizon brings up other "Special Trade-in Offers"
chucker

2020-10-14, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Very strange to see Apple give so much time to Verizon and be doing weird incentives/offers on the Apple store specific to carriers.
Yup. Not a great look. The weird offer is just iffy marketing, but the Verizon demo doesn't even make much sense to me? Did they feel defensive about not having 5G last year?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-14, 15:52

Hmm …

I now see the "Special Carrier Offers at Apple" option, but I don't see all these different prices you speak of. I see carrier offers from AT&T and Verizon:

Quote:
Special Carrier Offers at Apple
Starting at pre-order, pay as low as $0/mo. over 30 mo. after trade-in and AT&T bill credits.1
Or pay as low as $11.95/mo. over 24 mo. after trade-in and Verizon bill credits.2
See AT&T offers See Verizon offers
… and see nothing else unless I click on the links. Otherwise, the page looks like every other Apple Store product purchase page.

Also, I priced out an iPhone 12 Mini and at the bottom it says the price includes an instant $30 AT&T discount, which makes me believe that AT&T and Verizon are paying Apple $30 for every iPhone sold on their networks.

chucker

2020-10-14, 15:54

Quote:
Hmm …

I now see the "Special Carrier Offers at Apple" option, but I don't see all these different prices you speak of. I see carrier offers from AT&T and Verizon:

… and see nothing else unless I click on the links. Otherwise, the page looks like every other Apple Store product purchase page.

Also, I priced out an iPhone 12 Mini and at the bottom it says the price includes an instant $30 AT&T discount, which makes me believe that AT&T and Verizon are paying Apple $30 for every iPhone sold on their networks.
The iPhones 12 mini and 12 are listed as "from $699" and "from $799", but that's actually after a carrier discount. They really start at $729/$829.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-14, 16:25

Yes, that I figured out.

But I still have not seen all of this other pricing confusion BU brought up. Region-specific websites, maybe?
dglow

2020-10-14, 22:50

Quote:
Quote:
ARM came to the Mac Mini first.

Going to call it now... the real ARM Mac mini will have a footprint like an AppleTV but will be taller: Return of the Cube.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-10-14, 22:57

Quote:
I've been waiting for Capella to dive in on that. If not, then tomorrow.
I was summoned to jury duty and was hanging out in a waiting area and missed most of this! Two days of that.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-10-14, 23:07

Oh that is *shitty* timing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-14, 23:30

Yeah, it really is.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Did you at least get to be part of an interesting case or just in the pool waiting?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-15, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
Going to call it now... the real ARM Mac mini will have a footprint like an AppleTV but will be taller: Return of the Cube.
I'm wondering why replacing an Intel chip with an ARM chip would lead to a bigger machine?

Remember folks, Apple tolerates the Mini, but doesn't love it. They are never going to make it truly competitive with the iMac range.

Never Never Ever.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-10-15, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
I was summoned to jury duty and was hanging out in a waiting area and missed most of this! Two days of that.
Exciting isn’t it? Luckily I only lost one day last winter, and wasn’t selected for a trial. Glad I wasn’t too, it was a case of a fender bender.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-10-15, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I'm wondering why replacing an Intel chip with an ARM chip would lead to a bigger machine?
Ah, I miscalculated. The Return of the Cube with an ATV's footprint.

So even if it's 4 inches high the total volume is smaller than the current model. Sorry, missed that.

Last edited by Frank777 : 2020-10-16 at 08:27.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-10-15, 14:38

I like the current form factor, no need to make it taller. Smaller it could be, but taller? No thanks.