Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-15, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yes, that I figured out.

But I still have not seen all of this other pricing confusion BU brought up. Region-specific websites, maybe?
Sorry, I dont even know how to post a screenshot to this place easily anymore.

I didn't say pricing confusion. I said Apple has carrier specific pricing and offers plastered all over the Apple Store and it looks like a Staples buying experience.

It looks desperate and weird. And has about 2 dozen different prices, trade-in offer values, monthly pricing, credits, etc. listed as far as I can tell.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-10-16, 06:17

It's pretty straight forward. Pick your carrier, if you want to trade in a phone pick which one, and pick storage size. No other way to really do it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-16, 07:20

Well, there are 20 variants this year, compared to 17 in 2018 and 16 in 2019.

Is that bad? Not sure. I think it'd have been better if they had killed off the Xr. Weird to leave that around in between the SE and the 11.

It's also a bummer that the 12 is now costlier than the 11 when it started, and even than the XR when that started. They're filling that slot with the mini instead, but… it does pain me a little. (But maybe I'll get a mini next year anyway? Not sure.)

OTOH, as Yontsey said, the actual buying experience hasn't really changed much. You choose 12 or 12 Pro (just like with the 11 Pro and the XS, the differences aren't really that massive; it's more of a "get future features early" kinda thing), and you end up on a page with way too much scroll-jacking to my taste (but that's also nothing new). Then you click Shop. mini vs. 12 (or Pro vs. Pro Max), color finish, carrier, storage size, optional trade-in.

The mini option is obviously new here, and the carrier rebate thing is annoying. Other than that, seems mostly the same.

There's a "As part of our efforts to reach our environmental goals, iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini do not include a power adapter or EarPods. Please use your current Apple power adapter and headphones, or purchase these accessories separately." note, which… OK, but why aren't there buttons there to add those accessories? Seems needlessly cumbersome.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-16, 09:52

I think we could see a minor mid cycle update for the first time for all iPhone 12 models..... Touch ID update in March?
¡Damned!

2020-10-16, 10:34

Was a little surprised that the Touch ID introduced in the new iPad Air didn't make it into the 12s. Would be perfect for these masked times.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 10:44

What is getting me right now is that I need a mini but need it to be Intel. Given the current model is likely to be replaced with ARM, I feel like I need to move on buying it now. ...but what if they have an Intel and an ARM. Or just a better Intel.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
dglow

2020-10-16, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What is getting me right now is that I need a mini but need it to be Intel. Given the current model is likely to be replaced with ARM, I feel like I need to move on buying it now. ...but what if they have an Intel and an ARM. Or just a better Intel.
Yikes, that’s tough. Odds for the Intel mini getting a final refresh seem vanishingly small, don’t you think? Maybe a refurbed or used model would be an option, just to avoid paying full price.

Consider that once the ARM version is released the price of Intel minis might actually go up. This happened to the 2012 quad-core mini when Apple discontinued it and went dual-core only for a while.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Ah, I miscalculated. The Return of the Cube with an ATV's footprint.

So even if it's 4 inches high the total volume is smaller than the current model. Sorry, missed that.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking. A tiny cuboid Mac would be beautiful IMO. Use metal instead of the aTV’s plastic and you’d have a thick heatsink built-in. If these new ARM Macs are truly efficient we could see the first fanless Mac desktop since... the G4 Cube.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-16, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglow View Post
Yikes, that’s tough. Odds for the Intel mini getting a final refresh seem vanishingly small, don’t you think?
Although it could happen, I'm just not sure Apple is putting any effort into Intel refreshes at this point. After the PowerPC to Intel transition announcement, there was exactly one PowerPC refresh. The reason is that Apple was done supporting PowerPC.

I'm thinking we are heading down the same road. Every announcement going forward will involve a new ARM Mac, not an old Intel one.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 12:40

Yeah, I know. Their return policy is only 14 days too. So if I buy one and sit on it I don't have long for them to announce something else and the tied to it. A Mac Pro is just too much for my needs. Really it is a great server for my needs, I'm just not willing to pay that price.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 13:19

OK, no more waiting.
Code:
Mac mini With the following configuration: 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz) 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 Intel UHD Graphics 630 2TB SSD storage 10 Gigabit Ethernet (Nbase-T Ethernet with support for 1Gb, 2.5Gb, 5Gb, and 10Gb Ethernet using RJ‑45 connector) Accessory Kit $1,799.00
I didn't really want to buy it right now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-16, 14:48

I expect the MC server to pick up a bit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-10-16, 14:51

Yeah, even the storage will be faster. I have a tracking number for the RAM already too.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-10-17, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Yeah, it really is.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Did you at least get to be part of an interesting case or just in the pool waiting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Exciting isn’t it? Luckily I only lost one day last winter, and wasn’t selected for a trial. Glad I wasn’t too, it was a case of a fender bender.
Just the pool, sadly. I really wanted a case.