User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

What's ETA on Westmere Gulftown Mac Pros?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's ETA on Westmere Gulftown Mac Pros?
CineAlta

2009-09-14, 21:57

Any estimates on when we'll see Westmere Gulftown 6-core Mac Pros? Spring 2010? AFAIK, Intel has already seeded computer manufacturers with these. Ostensibly 2 Infinite Loop already have them to design a machine around. They are 32nm process, so Apple will have to develop a new mainboard correct?

How long does Apple usually take between receiving new chips from Intel until they announce & ship machines around them?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-14, 22:46

They seem to be on a yearly release cycle, so I'd just guess around March of next year.

Why they're not capable of updating with slightly faster chips mid-year or something is beyond me. I seem to recall that being a common complaint around here, so I won't delve too far into my little grievances.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-09-15, 02:31

I agree that you wont see one till next year, although it might come sooner than March. The main reason they often fall behind other companies is that Apple has this this about making custom boards for each new release, even if it isn't needed, just so older machines cannot be upgraded.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-09-15, 02:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The main reason they often fall behind other companies is that Apple has this this about making custom boards for each new release, even if it isn't needed, just so older machines cannot be upgraded.
Why do you think that? I'm not an expert or anything, but I figured it just wasn't economical for companies to make CPU upgrade cards with PPC being a dead-end and the Intel towers still being fairly new.

Also, AFAIK, there aren't many off-the-shelf EFI motherboards to choose from.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-09-23, 01:40

it also helps apple in the sense that those of us who know the next best processor will be out next week won't delay purchasing indefinitely. we are stuck with the same (slightly upgraded) computer for 3-6 months.

regardless, the consumer model of computer consumption dictates that the plebs will buy whatever is the coolest computer. specs are only vaguely meaningful.