Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official
Page 3 of 6 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Iago

2009-09-07, 18:50

FWIW, MacRumors.com is reporting that Apple has experienced a problem with the camera module in its first [mass] run of the new iPod Touches. There's no indication of how severe the problem is other than that it afflicted the first "few dozen of thousand" of units.

Quote:
According to one of our reliable source (however, it remains a rumor), Apple is facing problems with the production of the new iPod Touch. The issue would be linked to the new camera module. We did not get any further details, but the problem has been spotted in the first dozen of thousands units produced. Those units have been put aside.
Maybe we won't be getting that price drop after all, Robo

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.

Jasoco

2009-09-07, 19:31

I'd probably buy a colored case for my touch then.

I wonder, have there been any rumors of HD Radio in the touch's? Because you just know the Zune fans will use the exclusion as a reason why their Zune's are superior.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-07, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
FWIW, MacRumors.com is reporting that Apple has experienced a problem with the camera module in its first [mass] run of the new iPod Touches. There's no indication of how severe the problem is other than that it afflicted the first "few dozen of thousand" of units.
Uh oh.

Well I hope they're still announced/unveiled (and that they don't just get dropped from Wednesday's event). Goodness knows that Apple is no stranger to the "announcing today, shipping in eleventy months" thing. They can still introduce them, show them off, get everyone all stirred up, take pre-orders, etc.

That's assuming, of course, there is a major issue with the entire run and they won't be available for purchase Wednesday-Thursday.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-07, 20:29

This rumour doesn't sound right. Not being bound by MacWorld or some other expo, Apple is now in full control of when they hold product releases to the press. They would surely have pushed back the release date.

The camera is a significant feature and I can't see Apple releasing any new Touch without it. Delaying availability is certainly an option if only to fit the whole 09.09.09 theme. But I can't see it being anything more than a week out.

Jasoco

2009-09-07, 21:48

With all the leaked cases that are popping up, they better release them with a camera. I don't care if it's delayed a month or so. I will buy one ASAP when they come out.

Partial
Stallion

2009-09-07, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
With all the leaked cases that are popping up, they better release them with a camera. I don't care if it's delayed a month or so. I will buy one ASAP when they come out.
Same here. As for cases, they have some cool colored ones for the iPhone so I imagine it won't take much to get one for the touch.

I actually like the feel of the screen with a thin plastic film over it versus direct contact. It works much better imo.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-07, 23:42

I just hope they keep the iPod classic around for one more year.

I know Apple has a strong "out with the old" mentality, but let's be real - halving the largest iPod to 64GB would be kind of weird (especially since there used to be a 160GB model!). I'd like to see them keep the iPod classic around for one more year, at 160GB.

Next year, when the iPod touch can be 128GB, then drop the classic, sure - it certainly wouldn't be the first time the maximum iPod capacity dropped from 160GB to ~128GB. But I'm not sure 64GB is going to be quite at that "big enough for basically everybody" point...especially since it'll still be $150 more than the classic.

Plus, there's a minority of users who (gasp!) prefer the design of the more substantial iPod classic to the razor-thin iPod nano. The screen is larger, it's always horizontal, that sort of thing. And some people do still prefer the clickwheel...

I'm sure Apple will get rid of it next year (though maybe not, maybe we're reading Apple wrong on this; after all, the iPod classic is the reason they're where they are today) but I think getting rid of it in about 36 hours would be at least 360 days too soon.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Jason
Veteran Member

2009-09-08, 05:51

I really hope you're right. I'm desperate for an iPod bigger than 120GB. I don't see how they can drop it unless they are ready to release a 128GB Touch. I still don't really understand the logic behind them dropping the 160GB model last year. Was there really no-one buying it?
If they plan on keeping it around another year, I cannot see what else they can do in order to spruce it up. (Wow. A Camera ).

Iago

2009-09-08, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I really hope you're right. I'm desperate for an iPod bigger than 120GB. I don't see how they can drop it unless they are ready to release a 128GB Touch. I still don't really understand the logic behind them dropping the 160GB model last year. Was there really no-one buying it?
If they plan on keeping it around another year, I cannot see what else they can do in order to spruce it up. (Wow. A Camera ).
They were unhappy with having two form-factors for the iPod Classic. The 160GB is maybe half an inch thicker than the old style 80GB or the new style 120GB. That's the only reason it was dropped.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-08, 08:59

Much like the iMac, the iPod classic is a "distilled down to its purest form" icon. They could keep it around for another 3-4 years, if they wanted. There will always be a market for it, especially if they can do the 160GB (or more?) model again.

I've got no interest in one, mind you. But I'm also not that much of a hardcore music hound, or a "gotta have everything with me at all times, in case I need to hear some old, obscure Foghat song at the spur-of-the-moment" guy.

But those folks are out there, and it would be nice to have a single, large-capacity, traditionally-styled (with click wheel, etc.) iPod for them. Your urban hipsters and college vixens will always take care of the "small and cute" market, represented by the nano and shuffle.

I'm not sure who's buying the iPod touch (in any huge numbers). I've only seen one "out in the wild" one time in two whole years...

I see a nano (various generations) about every other day, without even trying or looking for them on purpose!

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-08, 10:11

Just take a subway in Toronto for one stop during rush hour and you'll see about a hundred of every model of iPod

I've got a 5th gen iPod now, but I'll be switching to a Touch or Nano eventually. I only use about 10 gigs of my 30, and I'd prefer something less bulky, or at least something that can do more.

But still, I don't see the value in discontinuing the Classic; unless they're losing money on it, which I can't imagine.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-08, 10:44

Where does everyone think the Shuffle is headed?
The Nano has grown up to playing video and now possibly a camera feature.

Surely the Shuffle needs to grow (literally, since it's too small now) and add some new feature. I suppose they could keep the voice activated features, but I wish it went back to old school tactile manual controls with a simple one line display.
Something simple that's perfect for workouts, without the added expense of a Nano.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-08, 12:00

I have no clue WTF Apple is doing with the shuffle. I don't think the new design is as loved as they thought it would be. But can they really go back? Maybe they'll just make the remote better - they could give it five buttons so you could go forward or back without clicking two or three times.

24 hours to go!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-08, 12:28

Yeah, this latest shuffle never did much for me. It's almost too simple and small. No flair or "fun factor" whatsoever. And the lack of physical controls on the unit itself can't be any more practical or convenient that previous models. With all that crap located on the headphone, doesn't that lock people in to Apple's included earbuds? And so many people hate them, so...

I wasn't a fan of the first shuffle either, the tall white one.

But, IMO, they had a solid home run with that second-generation model, the small aluminum with the white click "donut" and the integrated clip. Oh, and all the juicy colors! Small, light, hand and convenient, looked great, easy to operate, etc. It screamed "fun and cool", I thought.

Maybe they should write off this current one as a "failed experiment" (the iPod HiFi team must've worked on it ) and just go back to this...

...in silver or orange only?

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-08, 12:39

Latest rumour has iPod Touch's going from $150 - $350 depending on memory.
I'm not sure we'll see them that low priced.

But it does present an interesting scenario that could speak to those Nano camera issues. Perhaps there are three versions...one 32gb w/cam at $149, a 16gb w/cam for $129 and a 8gb base model without cam for $99. Breaking the $100 barrier would all but kill all comers, if there were any left.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-08, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Latest rumour has iPod Touch's going from $150 - $350 depending on memory.
I'm not sure we'll see them that low priced.

But it does present an interesting scenario that could speak to those Nano camera issues. Perhaps there are three versions...one 32gb w/cam at $149, a 16gb w/cam for $129 and a 8gb base model without cam for $99. Breaking the $100 barrier would all but kill all comers, if there were any left.
There was that thing last year, when Apple made a small number of 4GB 4G iPod nanos, and basically dumped them on European countries? That really weirded me out. It's like they almost wanted to go down to $99, last year (a quick response to the recession, perhaps?), but then decided not to, at the last minute.

And yeah, a $99 iPod nano would basically complete Apple's domination of the holiday season. They'd probably be able to discontinue that $79 iPod shuffle, while they were at it...replace it with a 4GB version of the 2G "clip," for $49 or $69 or whatever.

I don't think we'll see the price of the iPod touch drop to $150. I mean, that's an $80 drop...$199, I could buy. Everyone on Gizmodo seems convinced that Apple will drop the price to $199 to "match" the Zune HD, and I'm like, "uh, guys? The Zune HD is $219 and $289. Microsoft likes to basically match iPod pricing, just undercutting them $10. The Zune HD isn't $199..."

Iago

2009-09-08, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
There was that thing last year, when Apple made a small number of 4GB 4G iPod nanos, and basically dumped them on European countries? That really weirded me out. It's like they almost wanted to go down to $99, last year (a quick response to the recession, perhaps?), but then decided not to, at the last minute.

And yeah, a $99 iPod nano would basically complete Apple's domination of the holiday season. They'd probably be able to discontinue that $79 iPod shuffle, while they were at it...replace it with a 4GB version of the 2G "clip," for $49 or $69 or whatever.
I remember that. A lot of stores were pretty bemused by it since Apple didn't ship any associative collateral with them and they were done in an incredibly limited run, by usual standards. I think that it was because Apple had a significant quantity of flash memory left over from previous generations in the 2x2GB configuration that the 4GB models used, and it was easy enough to pop it into the 16GBs chipset. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the 8GB & 16GB Nanos used 8GB and 2x8GB flash memory chips. I can't for the life of me remember, though. It was so long ago and that was a crazy busy time.

Quote:
I don't think we'll see the price of the iPod touch drop to $150. I mean, that's an $80 drop...$199, I could buy. Everyone on Gizmodo seems convinced that Apple will drop the price to $199 to "match" the Zune HD, and I'm like, "uh, guys? The Zune HD is $219 and $289. Microsoft likes to basically match iPod pricing, just undercutting them $10. The Zune HD isn't $199..."
I really think we might see a much cheaper iPod Touch without the camera, at least in a limited run. Now that you've reminded me of the iPod Nano 4GB I'm actually almost certain of it. At least until Apple uses up the remaining stock of cases for the non-camera models.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-08, 16:19

Gizmodo is reporting (no link, on my iPhone, sorry) that EMI has confirmed that the Beatles will not be making their debut on iTunes tomorrow. Oh well.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-08, 16:32

Quote:
Gizmodo is reporting (no link, on my iPhone, sorry) that EMI has confirmed that the Beatles will not be making their debut on iTunes tomorrow. Oh well.
And Engadget say otherwise.

Now it looks like we've heard it from none other than Yoko Ono herself, who in a now-pulled Sky News article confirmed that the Fab Four's headed for digital distribution.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-08, 16:33

I wish John Lennon wasn't dead. He would have sorted all this nonsense out.

Jasoco

2009-09-09, 04:36

I wish both Lennon and Harrison were still alive to put the other two in their places.

Jasoco

2009-09-09, 04:37

I've been holding out on a touch until the 32GB models at the very least are cheaper than $300. Right now 16GB is $300. I am really really hoping for either storage bumps with 16, 32 and 64 replacing the current models at the current prices, or what someone said where they stay 8, 16 and 32 but at lower prices. Either way, I just want a 32GB!

And if $300 gets me at least 32GB, I will buy one day one... or two... or maybe in a couple weeks.

SpecMode
Wait what

2009-09-09, 06:11

Engadget just tipped us off that iPod prices have just been slashed - and there's still hours to go before the event! Only the shuffle is still the same price - price drops on other models range from $20 on the iPod classic to $120 on the 32GB iPod touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
I've been holding out on a touch until the 32GB models at the very least are cheaper than $300.
The 32GB iPod touch has been dropped to $279 - I guess Apple must have been listening!

phutyle

2009-09-09, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Engadget just tipped us off that iPod prices have just been slashed
Prices haven't droped on the international stores yet (at least not the Ireland or UK stores)

I had a load of stuff stolen at the weekend in Berlin, including a 13" unibody MacBook and 2 iPods. I used the Education Store iPod offer that ended yesterday to replace the 13" MacBook (now Pro) and a classic iPod (for my partner - it'll end up at EUR 44 after the rebate, which is nice), but I'm waiting until today's announcement to see about getting a Touch for myself.

If the Touch upgrade is decent, I'll go for it, if not, I'll look out for one of the current models at a discount (or maybe a refurb).

Jasoco

2009-09-09, 06:42

Quote:
The 32GB iPod touch has been dropped to $279 - I guess Apple must have been listening!
That's the OLD model. No one with a brain would buy an old model now when the new ones are coming out in literally 6 hours. Unless they aren't buying them for a camera and are just buying them for music.. which would be silly since you can get an iPod to play music cheaper with more space but whatever.

The prices dropped because they want to clear stock. Because if you were a big company with a bunch of leftover stock, you'd probably want to sell off old models for the new ones instead of having to recycle them all. Any leftover ones will probably be clearanced soon too. But I still won't buy an old model. Not with the stuff that is rumored. Faster speed, camera. The two magic words... three magic words...

If they keep those prices, I would be surprised, amazed and so estatic that I would probably die from excitement. So I'm hoping they're not just for cleaning out stock. SIX MORE HOURS.

SpecMode
Wait what

2009-09-09, 07:06

I'm pretty sure that Apple wouldn't intentionally drop prices for six hours if the sole purpose was to clear out stock; they would do that after the fact, by putting them in the "special deals" part of the store, as they've done in the past with superseded Macs and iPods.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 07:19

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Apple wouldn't intentionally drop prices for six hours if the sole purpose was to clear out stock; they would do that after the fact, by putting them in the "special deals" part of the store, as they've done in the past with superseded Macs and iPods.
I agree. But it also isn't like Apple to drop prices so significantly without using the event to announce the price drops. I'm not sure which angle I'd believe on this one.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 07:23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I agree. But it also isn't like Apple to drop prices so significantly without using the event to announce the price drops. I'm not sure which angle I'd believe on this one.
Yeah, it's pretty weird. Maybe they have way more iPods left than they usually do? Or maybe - due to the camera problems - the new iPods won't be shipping right away? Or maybe it's a mistake, and someone's gonna get fired

SpecMode
Wait what

2009-09-09, 07:27

Quote:
Or maybe it's a mistake, and someone's gonna get fired
Worth noting: the prices listed on the store's front page have not yet changed. Either someone pushed a few changes a bit too early, or Apple is doing this intentionally for reasons known only to Steve & Company, and missed a page in the process. I guess that we'll find out in about four and a half hours, won't we?

(Addendum, two minutes later...) Well, they've gone and proved me wrong: the front page has been updated - just not on the main U.S. Apple Store. The Federal Government EPP store, on the other hand, has the new prices listed on the front and individual product pages.

(Second addendum...) I just thought of something I've yet to see mentioned anywhere: what about the Wi-Fi built into the iPod Touch? Isn't it about time Apple replaced the 802.11b/g with .11n by now? I mean, yes, you won't see much of an actual speed advantage on the device itself, but it would be nice if you didn't slash your non-dual-band 11n router's bandwidth every time it connects to the network by forcing it into 11b/g compatibility mode. Just a thought.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-09, 07:41

Is this event being streamed anywhere?