AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple 09/09/09 "Rock & Roll" event official
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-09-09, 07:44

I was thinking about WiFi syncing of the iPhone/iPod touch.

It can't be that hard to implement right? Just for those few times I'd like to sync, but can't find a cable. I have 17 of them but there are just some times that I can't find it.

And SpecMode, as I said on Twitter, I just don't think they'll do that to the touch before the iPhone.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-09, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Or maybe - due to the camera problems - the new iPods won't be shipping right away?
Sounds like the likely explanation to me.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Is this event being streamed anywhere?
There hasn't been a reliable video or audio stream of an Apple event in years. Plenty of sites will be doing text updates, including Engadget and (I'm assuming) Gizmodo.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

SpecMode
Wait what

2009-09-09, 07:51

Macworld will be liveblogging the event, as well.

And as for me? I'll be out cold - it starts at 2am local.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Sounds like the likely explanation to me.
Hopefully they don't take too long to hit stores. I was at Target on Saturday and they were basically cleaned out of iPods. They had no 8GB nanos, save for one unloved yellow model. They had a few classics and touches and that was it. I hope we don't see a shortage - what if everybody has to buy Zune HDs instead?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-09, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
There hasn't been a reliable video or audio stream of an Apple event in years. Plenty of sites will be doing text updates, including Engadget and (I'm assuming) Gizmodo.
Oops, yeah that's what I meant...live blogging. Streaming does get pretty pricey.
Thanks!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-09, 08:29

I miss the days of streamed Apple keynotes, and watching it all happen live, in real time.

Waaah!

We used to set up a projector at work, connect it to one of the G4 towers and show it on the wall in the conference room. All us graphics/Mac dorks would gather around, eat donuts and enjoy the show. The higher-ups were pretty cool about giving us a couple of hours, once or twice a year, to geek out like this.

And on a couple of occasions, I went down to the San Diego Apple store to watch the thing live on their big theater screen (I watched the iMac G4 unveiling - the January 2002 keynote - this way). You should've heard the gasps and applause - in the store - when that thing came up out of the floor on that rotating pedestal on the keynote simulcast.

Scrub to 3:10...

Good times.

SpecMode
Wait what

2009-09-09, 08:37

I still remember my first Macworld keynote, back in January of '04. That was my first exposure to the full force of the RDF, up-close and in person. It was enough to bring me back three more times ('05, '07, and '08). Side-note: I've still got my 20th anniversary poster packed away back home in California.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

[...]

I'm not sure who's buying the iPod touch (in any huge numbers). I've only seen one "out in the wild" one time in two whole years...

[...]
Well, me, for one.

It's a great product. But the Touch is not an iPod, it's a PDA that also plays music.

As I have posted before, Apple should keep the Classic iPod as a dedicated, high-capacity music player.

I have both a Touch and an iPod Classic. I use both, just in very different ways.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Jasoco

2009-09-09, 08:56

Nah, it's an iPod that's also a PDA.

No, it's the next evolution of the Newton, so I guess it is just a PDA with music. Wait, just a PDA? No. How about the second coming of Jesus? Bigger than Jesus? Bigger than The Beatles and the B-Sharps combined? The flying car we were promised?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 09:53

Snagged from Satchmo's post in the "Design directions" thread - I think this is Gruber?

"The Nano — I’ve heard two not-good-enough-to-bet-on but worth-mentioning rumors. First, that Apple has developed some sort of top-secret new material / treatment for the Nano shell. No idea what it is, if true. Second, that the Nano is getting an FM tuner. That sounds slightly odd to me, insofar as the iPod’s lack of an FM tuner was a frequent complaint years ago, but seems like something no one complains about anymore. But why not, right?"

I guess an FM tuner could be cool. I don't really see the point, because I bring my iPod with me so I don't have to listen to pitiful FM stations but if you're blessed with satisfactory radio where you live it could only be a Good Thing. And hey, it can't cost much to add, and what else is Apple going to add? A camera, a radio - this would be like the iPhone 3G S of iPods, the same basic design only with a couple of random new features. Apple has a Radio Remote, but I don't think anybody buys it. Does the iPhone have a radio? I have one, and I don't even know.

As for the new material, if it's bamboo I will shit my pants.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-09, 09:57

I miss the streaming too! It was so exciting to watch moments like the intel switch, etc. live. Those we heady days...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I miss the streaming too! It was so exciting to watch moments like the intel switch, etc. live. Those we heady days...

I think Apple stropped the live streaming long before the announcement of the Intel switch, at WWDC '05...

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-09-09, 09:59

If it's bamboo, I have tons growing in my back yard Apple can have free of charge.

The iPhone doesn't have an FM tuner, but streams easily enough over 3G / WiFi. I tried streaming audio (Slacker) on my iPhone 2G, but songs would occasionally get choppy and lag between songs as the next one was buffered was huge. It's almost instantaneous on my 3G S though.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-09-09, 10:07

Waah I'm gonna be in class Go to Phonology, or skip for Apple...this is a tough decision

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-09, 10:10

Quote:

I think Apple stropped the live streaming long before the announcement of the Intel switch, at WWDC '05...
Oh, I think you're right. Now that I look back on it, I watched it "live", which meant not looking at the news all day and just refreshing the QT site that streamed the event a couple of hours later. It felt "live" to me .

I had a friend visiting at the time who mocked me for my excitement. Fast forward a few years, and now he's lusting after a Mac Pro and an iPhone .

Edit: Damn, looks like I'll be head ing to class when it starts.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2009-09-09, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I miss the days of streamed Apple keynotes, and watching it all happen live, in real time.

Waaah!

We used to set up a projector at work, connect it to one of the G4 towers and show it on the wall in the conference room. All us graphics/Mac dorks would gather around, eat donuts and enjoy the show. The higher-ups were pretty cool about giving us a couple of hours, once or twice a year, to geek out like this.

And on a couple of occasions, I went down to the San Diego Apple store to watch the thing live on their big theater screen (I watched the iMac G4 unveiling - the January 2002 keynote - this way). You should've heard the gasps and applause - in the store - when that thing came up out of the floor on that rotating pedestal on the keynote simulcast.

Scrub to 3:10...

Good times.
I too miss those days.

I used to rush home from school to sit eating dinner at my PowerMac 6500 watching all the new goodies. I remember the iMac G4 show especially well with it being so gorgeous, and I think it was also one of the last streamed events.

Wifi syncing would be awesome. If only that announced I would be happy enough, but that's mainly because I'm not in the market for a new iPod. Plus it's always nice to see the new toys and spend a few hours on the product pages of stuff I have no intention or means of buying.

Edit: Woah it seems I took quite a long time to compose that post. I could have sworn streams stopped earlier than 2005.

Iago

2009-09-09, 10:36

I'm half-tempted to upload a picture of my Adium Contact List. The amount of red "Busy" icons next to people at Apple is insane.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Edit: Woah it seems I took quite a long time to compose that post. I could have sworn streams stopped earlier than 2005.
They did. Swocks was just mistaken.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 10:46

Aaaand AI has the deets on the new line-up, complete with model numbers. 160GB iPod classic confirmed?

Apparently...the iPod nano capacities are staying the same? That suggests a price drop, to $99 maybe? And the 4GB iPod shuffle now comes in colors, and apparently a 2GB model (also in colors), as well.

They don't have any info on the new iPod touch, suggesting that it might be significantly delayed. Uh oh.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-09-09, 11:12

Quote:
Aaaand AI has the deets on the new line-up, complete with model numbers. 160GB iPod classic confirmed?

Apparently...the iPod nano capacities are staying the same? That suggests a price drop, to $99 maybe? And the 4GB iPod shuffle now comes in colors, and apparently a 2GB model (also in colors), as well.

They don't have any info on the new iPod touch, suggesting that it might be significantly delayed. Uh oh.
Considering they already lowered the prices of the iPod line prior to this event, I'm guessing those two new Nano models simply add the camera feature.

I hope the Shuffle is not simply the same design and just adding colour. Although my guess is that's the case.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Considering they already lowered the prices of the iPod line prior to this event, I'm guessing those two new Nano models simply add the camera feature.
But the prices were kind of...weird. Dropping the price $20 and not increasing the capacity isn't really much of a bump, even with the camera. And $189 for the base iPod touch? That's an even odder price point than $229!

Iago

2009-09-09, 11:58

Looks like Cocktail is in the wild here and here:

Edit: Steve!

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-09, 12:02

Chat room anyone?

stratotom

2009-09-09, 12:03

Gizmodo reports that Steve is present, with standing ovation.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 12:04

OMG STEVE.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-09, 12:05

I hope iTunes LP/"Deluxe Editions" don't cost more. iTunes is already more than AmP3 and Zune as it is.

Steve's new liver apparently came form a twentysomething who died in a car wreck. He actually took a moment to encourage the audience to become organ donors. I am!

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2009-09-09, 12:06

Quote:
They did. Swocks was just mistaken.
Ah, I managed to misread your post and just saw 2005 mentioned a few times above.

PS. STEVE!!!

¡Damned!

If Steve's running the show today there has to be something good coming.

*runs off to pee*

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  

Quote:
I hope iTunes LP/"Deluxe Editions" don't cost more. iTunes is already more than AmP3 and Zune as it is.

Steve's new liver apparently came form a twentysomething who died in a car wreck. He actually took a moment to encourage the audience to become organ donors. I am!
$13.99