Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Early October "Event"
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-09-25, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Moogs' ThunderCat technology requires teh test!
I refuse to post my answer on the grounds that it may confuse me... or not... I really don't know, since I've never seen the show.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-09-25, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I refuse to post my answer on the grounds that it may confuse me... or not... I really don't know, since I've never seen the show.
But you're a Ninja! You should know all about ThunderKitties!

It's official. This thread is

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-09-25, 20:11

Quote:

It's official. This thread is
Agreed.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-10-01, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
If an October iPad Air event happens, it should be October 9. Here's the timeline for the next few weeks if so:

9/21: iPhone 5 on sale
9/24: iPhone 5 First Weekend Numbers Announced
[1 week]
10/2: Apple announces October event
10/10: iPad Air released
10/16: Apple Announces iPad Air first weekend numbers during FQ4 conference call, where they also announce cumulative iPhone 5 through end of quarter (likely 10-12 million).

Putting the October event on 10/3 would be too compressed--invites would have to go out next week.
Well this is interesting. Last year, the FQ4 earnings call was two full business weeks, plus one day, after the end of FQ4. The equivalent date this year is 10/16. They just announced the call for... 10/25--A week and a half later.

I haven't combed for previous, similar year-over-year changes in their schedule. However, the later date corresponds nicely with the rumors of a 10/17 event.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-10-01, 22:01

I'm pretty sure this is the iPad Mini event MacRumors and others have been predicting all summer, based on pictures of leaked parts, etc. All train wrecks aside I'm about 97% sure that's what it will be. Maybe some iMac love too.

With all due respect to Kick and the Thundercat Breakout box, no chance in hell Mac Pro: a) gets any love before 2013; b) gets a press event of any kind. Apple simply doesn't care and they know most of the planet doesn't care either. Although in principle I stand with The Dude on pointlessly wishing for Mac Pro news this soon. Also I'm fine with a break-out box as long as there's at least one or two models that don't require same as anything other than additional expansion over existing internal expansion bays.

...into the light of a dark black night.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-10-01, 23:20

The event will be held either Tuesday Oct. 23 or Wed Oct 24. Apple just scheduled their earnings call for the 25th - a Thursday. They *never* do Thursday earnings calls. They will want to announce whatever they have to announce before earnings so they can talk about it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-02, 11:57

And there is growing speculation to support a 16/17 event.

Like I said, something's gotta give!

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-10-02, 13:17

Quote:

Like I said, something's gotta give!
So long as it's not my wife's Knicker elastic. It'll be ok!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-10-02, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
With all due respect to Kick and the Thundercat Breakout box, no chance in hell Mac Pro: a) gets any love before 2013; b) gets a press event of any kind. Apple simply doesn't care and they know most of the planet doesn't care either. Although in principle I stand with The Dude on pointlessly wishing for Mac Pro news this soon. Also I'm fine with a break-out box as long as there's at least one or two models that don't require same as anything other than additional expansion over existing internal expansion bays.
Thundercat! Ha! (Ho!)

I agree no one cares about the Pro at this point - the only reason for a press event would be to show off a) Thunderbolt capabilities to shame other companies into adopting it, b) the expansion box for laptop use as MEGADOCKS, c) the expansion box as future proofing for iMacs or minis bought for lab or studio use.

It's all about the box, baby.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-02, 15:54

Is Thunderbolt ever going to be anything? It seems to be more ignored than FireWire. What's the reason behind the lack of Thunderbolt-based accessories and peripherals, a full 18+ months after its debut on the Mac?

Seems like there would just be more stuff, and a bigger presence by now.

Is it expensive? Are there licensing/ownership issues? Technical hurdles?

You never really hear anyone talk about it, other than "at some point, when they come out, I'm going to get a [fill in the blank]...".

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-10-02, 16:20

Tbolt is a stealth gamechanger, IMO. (So stealth it's utterly ignored! *rimshot*)

FW was a better USB, more or less.

Tbolt enables entirely new classes of hardware interaction.

Getting anyone outside of hardware nerdery circles to understand this is the problem. Well, that, and entirely new classes of hardware take time and significant effort. Tbolt is laying groundwork, as I see it. The payoff will come a bit later, if it comes.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-02, 16:21

Thunderbolt is the modern version of FW, it just doesn't have mass appeal vs USB3. Kind of sad for me, since my machine has TB, but only USB2.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-02, 17:09

Ah, I see. So building it isn't enough. It takes a lot of others to come on board and join the party.

A shame if it languishes and just kinda peters out, as it seems to be quite a thing in terms of performance and all that it can handle!

Between it and USB 3.0, a user shouldn't want for much, huh? Fast, easy-to-use...

Hope it gets an honest shot, and gains some traction. Seems like such a waste if it doesn't.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-10-02, 17:27

I dream of a day when there's no more reason to think about USB or FW or whatever... everything will be one port type and cable type, it will have uber bandwidth, we'll use it for monitors, hard drives, mice, whatever, and everyone can put these dueling cable standards to bed. I thought Intel was on the TB working group (maybe I'm remembering wrong) so I thought that would help adoption but maybe not. Pretty much if Intel is not behind something, it's not happening at this point.

...into the light of a dark black night.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-02, 17:30

Intel built and designed TB, there is no "group."

¡Damned!

2012-10-02, 17:33

If only Intel would've stuck with optical.... they really dropped the ball on that imo.

Remember how cool that demo was? Like the fucking future.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-10-02 at 17:49.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-10-09, 17:38

I predict announcements out tomorrow. iPad Mini event the following week. 7.85" iPad Mini unveiled. 16GB for $349. iPad 2 goes away. iPad 3 updated with exact tech specs but slimmer and lighter with new iPad Mini style case design and Lightning connector, and international LTE added on the cellular models.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-09, 17:45

A mid-cycle iPad update? Interesting.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-09, 18:10

yes... for a few reasons....

1. an iPad update was heavily rumored for last Fall but clearly Apple decided against it. I think similar to the iPhone, Apple would really like to change the iPad update cycle and I think they really favor pre-holiday updates now.

2. I don't think Apple was happy with needing to make the iPad 3 thicker and heavier. I think they had to do it at the time, but now they can use the new iPhone screen in-cell technology and make the screen thinner and use the different backlighting.

3. All leaks have suggested a highly modified design for the iPad mini with dual speakers, different beveled edges, thinner, thinner borders in portrait, lightning connector..... I can't see Apple offering inconsistent iPad appearances.... not really a mini version of the big one if its a different design.

4. Lightning connector.... Why leave ONE remaining product with an outdated connector? Everything else has been updated. May as well do it.

5. The name. Here me out, but I think Apple didn't use the name iPad 3 and instead used "The New iPad" because they knew that they were going to do this mid-cycle update and then it would complicate naming and also risk upsetting existing owners.... do you call it iPad 3S even though the internals are the same? Do you just call keep calling it iPad 3... but then you may as well just remove the number and call it iPad if updates are going to be differentiated in the name. I really think Apple dropped the numbering for more freedom in updates and regaining control of expectations tied to updates. It also would have just created confusion with the iPad Mini... would the iPad mini have just jumped to iPad 3 Mini? No.... of course not. So get rid of the number and just have iPad and iPad Mini.

6. LTE.... it's silly that the LTE iPad only works in the US. And now the International chip is ready and used in the iPhone 5. I have to think Apple is eager to add LTE to entice international buyers to the iPad.... and why wait till March to do that?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-09, 18:13

and the only valid criticism of the existing iPad is its weight. It really is surprisingly heavy and noticeably more so than the previous iPad.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-10-09, 18:48

I really don't see Apple pushing a normal-sized iPad update before Christmas. The iPad mini/air/whatever is enough. All of the reasons you listed are valid, but minor, and not enough to merit throwing off the whole update cycle.

If Apple blows their load on a thinner, lighter, Lighting, global LTE iPad 3 this month, what will they release next March? Or are you suggesting the iPad launch permanently moves to October? I think that's more likely than an iPad now and an iPad in March, but I think the most likely scenario will be... an iPad in March.

I really do believe that Apple is positioning iPad as the next PC, and if that's the case, it's not meant to be a hot holiday item. The early in the year iPad release cycle makes sense because it means the device has been on the market for 6 months or so by the time fall rolls around and IT departments are making big purchases. OTOH iPhones and iPods (and iPad airs, I guess, now) are stocking stuffers so they get that pre-holiday fanfare.

Not like we have to wait long to find out!

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-09, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I really don't see Apple pushing a normal-sized iPad update before Christmas. The iPad mini/air/whatever is enough. All of the reasons you listed are valid, but minor, and not enough to merit throwing off the whole update cycle.

If Apple blows their load on a thinner, lighter, Lighting, global LTE iPad 3 this month, what will they release next March? Or are you suggesting the iPad launch permanently moves to October? I think that's more likely than an iPad now and an iPad in March, but I think the most likely scenario will be... an iPad in March.

Not like we have to wait long to find out!
I think you are suggesting the update would be bigger than it really would be...... All it would be is the same iPad with a refined case... new connector... and updated LTE. Probably returning to iPad 2 thickness and weight. It might be a footnote after the iPad mini intro....ie: "oh, we are also updating the current iPad to reflect these changes".

And I think it could be a situation where a minor update would facilitate Apple stretching out the current iPad through next year and adjusting the update cycle to next October permanently. It would put it more inline with the iPhone for gaining the latest generation AX chip and also more inline with the iOS update cycle.

I also don't think it is likely that the iPad and iPad mini will be on different update cycles... so if there is no iPad update alongside the mini would the mini be updated in March? I doubt it.... then Apple would have separate cycles.... which would be weird.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-10-09, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I think you are suggesting the update would be bigger than it really would be...... All it would be is the same iPad with a refined case... new connector... and updated LTE. Probably returning to iPad 2 thickness and weight. It might be a footnote after the iPad mini intro....ie: "oh, we are also updating the current iPad to reflect these changes".
True, but again, if that's the case, what's going to happen to the iPad come March? A6x, duh, but that's not enough, and I think Apple wants to save the thinner/lighter angle for the real release, not a weird halfsie right before Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I also don't think it is likely that the iPad and iPad mini will be on different update cycles... so if there is no iPad update alongside the mini would the mini be updated in March? I doubt it.... then Apple would have separate cycles.... which would be weird.
Okay, so you're saying that this hypothetical iPad release would be the iPad release until next October? I can actually kinda see that, but then Apple really is stacking their product lineup for the holidays. In that case, do they throw an A6x in it or not?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

digitalprimate

2012-10-10, 03:29

When was the last time that the "One more thing"-phrase was actually used during a keynote?

Oh, and I'm really getting physically nauseous from waiting for the new iMac (or even MacPro, though less so). And even when it will be announced, who knows how long I have to wait before I can actually have it delivered to my doorstep? It's been too long!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-10, 03:52

If its affecting you physically, you might consider a break from it all.

Jason
Veteran Member

2012-10-10, 06:30

If Apple release an iPad Mini this month and MS also release their slate, it reminds me of a similar scenario a few years back where Apple had already successfully dominated with the iPod and then released the mini just as MS decided to get into it with their Zune player.

The mini went on to great sales and the zune.. well, you know how that all ended.

Does anyone see a pattern emerging?

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-10-10, 09:37

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple does upgrade the iPad 3 this month and forgo any sort of iPad '4' next March.
You can only do so much to improve a tablet, and the current iPad is pretty well spec'd. The Retina display is already unsurpassed in the market. Sure it can always use more RAM or a faster processor, but I don't think many are complaining. Plus I'm not sure adding any of these improvements in March would excite many.

But the main reason for a minor iPad 3 LTE bump sooner than later, is consumer fatigue. They don't want to fork out $ for the latest and greatest, every year. Geeks might, but not your average consumer.

Prospective buyers who were on the fence, will jump at this 'new' iPad, knowing there probably won't be a new one for another year. Current owners won't feel too burned, given the minor revisions (LTE, Lightning dock, and perhaps slightly thinner and lighter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-10-10, 09:56

I'm really hoping for an iPad update soon.

I gave my first gen MBA to my (soon to be in 3 days) wife a while back and she stepped on the lid and cracked it. Still works, but the hinge is completely broken off. I'm amazed ti works still.

Going to just replace it with an iPad, since I'll have the MBP for anything big that needs to be done. She'll get by just fine with an iPad.

Really hoping this gets updated so I'll be able to pick one up in a few weeks.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

¡Damned!

2012-10-10, 10:22

I kind've see the October event as an anomaly in the iPad cycle used mainly to get the iPad mini out for the holiday season. Maybe a full-sized iPad will be released along side of it to get all of the iOS devices up to Lightning - and add LTE or whatever, but I think "March is iPad month" still sticks around.

I could see Apple coming out with a thinner full-sized iPad in March with some internal tweaks, and maybe something "wow" like giving the iPad mini a Retina display. Use the show to highlight a couple fancy new treats like updated screen covers/cases (integrated keyboard? digital readout for email messages? iDunno) and boom, everything's back on track for a March update cycle.

my 2¢

So it goes.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-10, 14:19

Well.... no invites out today. This is getting weird.

Seemingly endless leaks yet nothing seems to be playing out as reported.