AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

No SteveNote in Paris this year!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-05, 11:15

As most of us will know by now, Apple has cancelled Steve Jobs' keynote on the Mac expo in Paris.
Anybody care to elaborate on the possible reasons?

Possibly all news is covered by the special event, tomorrow and Steve decided not to tell everything twice.
But does this also imply that other possible products are delayed?
And, if yes, what products are we talking about?

I myself think that Apple maybe wanted to do a technology demo of 10.4 on Intel (or maybe a very early 10.5 buil) running pro-apps and they didn't get it ready for prime time.

Linky

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/

Last edited by julesstoop : 2005-09-05 at 11:51.
Jay

2005-09-05, 12:01

Well now isn't that interesting. So I guess Powerbook G5s tomorrow then.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-05, 13:37

That. Sucks.

I like SteveNotes.

Hopefully something big will happen tomorrow.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-05, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
As most of us will know by now, Apple has cancelled Steve Jobs' keynote on the Mac expo in Paris.

Possibly all news is covered by the special event, tomorrow and Steve decided not to tell everything twice.
But does this also imply that other possible products are delayed?
And, if yes, what products are we talking about?

I myself think that Apple maybe wanted to do a technology demo of 10.4 on Intel (or maybe a very early 10.5 buil) running pro-apps and they didn't get it ready for prime time.

Linky
I'd take a guess that they either
A. Wanted to debut iPods there but decided for wednesday
B. Wanted to debut 970MP PowerMacs but they fell behind
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-05, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
I'd take a guess that they either
A. Wanted to debut iPods there but decided for wednesday
I'm gonna guess either one or both of those is spot on.

Apple wants to give a lot of attention to the iPod, so giving it its own event would be reasonable. And judging from Apple and IBM's past efforts with the G5s, option B wouldn't surprise me at all.

Come waste your time with me
iDaver

2005-09-05, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
I guess there is no new hardware to coincide with the expo, so Steve has nothing flashy to talk about.

It seems Apple has been de-emphasizing these annual expos as places to announce new hardware anyway. If I was an engineer, I'd be glad I didn't have to try to rush new designs just for an expo, or see new products delayed just for an expo.

As a consumer, it's frustrating to hear announcements at an expo only to see the stuff isn't available for months after.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-05, 14:34

Well, we all kinda knew - whether we said it out loud or not - that June's Intel announcement probably means a slow-down in current PPC advances and offerings.

No huge surprise. Little wiggle room or headroom on the G4 and G5, and things seemed to have slowed down - or stalled - on each.

They've become "all iPod, all the time" anyway, so...

I'm sure 2006 (and beyond) will be really cool and exciting though.

(seems we're forever looking "down the road" and "around the corner", huh? )
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-09-05, 14:37

But doesn't Apple need to give us a dose of Steve's RDF once in a while, just to keep us enthusiastic.

That's at least why I always look forward to the SteveNotes.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-09-05, 14:39

Quote:
I don't see them introducing an update like that at an exposition; would be a quiet speedbump instead.

(It would also send the wrong message wrt/ the Intel announcement.)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-05, 22:20

I doubt Apple would introduce dual-core Power Macs as a "quiet speedbump."

I agree with 'Nut. Apple probably decided to dump all their iPod stuff on us on Wednesday after the 970MP got delayed (which would result in an entirely Mac-less keynote at Paris).
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-09-05, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I don't see them introducing an update like that at an exposition; would be a quiet speedbump instead.

(It would also send the wrong message wrt/ the Intel announcement.)

well, dual cores is no small update. it's also something that I would imagine Jobs would want to take the time to explain so that the public and most importantly press no what to make of it and know what advantages it offers

Also, the message for the intel transition is that the powerpc will be around till possibly 2007, and most say that's due to the PowerMac and xServe so I think we'll be seeing PowerPC PowerMacs for at least a year more, but that assumes IBM has their shit together
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-09-05, 23:18

Quote:
it's also something that I would imagine Jobs would want to take the time to explain so that the public and most importantly press no what to make of it and know what advantages it offers
He could have done that if he were first with dual-core, but he's third. The Athlon 64 X2, Opteron and Pentium D (dunno about Xeon) lines have been offering this since early summer now, so he'd make an ass of himself by announcing that dual-core gives the PowerMac an advantage.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-09-05, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
He could have done that if he were first with dual-core, but he's third. The Athlon 64 X2, Opteron and Pentium D (dunno about Xeon) lines have been offering this since early summer now, so he'd make an ass of himself by announcing that dual-core gives the PowerMac an advantage.
It would not be the first time Jobs claimed to have invented the wheel
jimbo123

2005-09-06, 01:53

I think we just have to grim and bare this transistion to Intel.

We possibly might get speed bumps along the way but as for new hardware
its not going to happen. Looks like Steve is relying on iPods to bolster his income but when we do see then new intel Macs I think new products will arrive pretty quickly. Lets hang in there and anything announced on 20 September will be a bonus.

Mikester

2005-09-06, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo123
I think we just have to grim and bare this transistion to Intel.
Grin and bear?
Gizzer

2005-09-06, 06:52

What a bummer - No SteveNote

So basically, with the exception of a bunch of new iPods (flash memory & a colour screen, whoop-de-do ) and a completely underwhelming iPhone announcement tomorrow ( ), Apple have got no new software or Hardware to announce...

I know the Intel stuff will have them busy, but you'd at least expect either a new piece of software or maybe even updated versions.

The only thing it says to me as a consumer is "We are busy working on iPods only at the moment, so all our Mac users can just sit there and wait until next year for anything useful/exciting".

Oh well. At least I got a 2 button mouse & Tiger from them in 2005. Guess I should be happy with just that . (I'm purposely ignoring iWork as that was the biggest waste of Apple spending I've had this year )

Last edited by Gizzer : 2005-09-06 at 06:54.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-06, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer
What a bummer - No SteveNote

So basically, with the exception of a bunch of new iPods (flash memory & a colour screen, whoop-de-do ) and a completely underwhelming iPhone announcement tomorrow ( ), Apple have got no new software or Hardware to announce...

I know the Intel stuff will have them busy, but you'd at least expect either a new piece of software or maybe even updated versions.

The only thing it says to me as a consumer is "We are busy working on iPods only at the moment, so all our Mac users can just sit there and wait until next year for anything useful/exciting".

Oh well. At least I got a 2 button mouse & Tiger from them in 2005. Guess I should be happy with just that . (I'm purposely ignoring iWork as that was the biggest waste of Apple spending I've had this year )
Asteroid maybe?
miniuser

2005-09-06, 08:24

Well if you think about it, I guess it doesn't come as a surprise if Apple doesn't come out with major updates before the Intel transition. Apple pretty much knows the psychology of the consumer's mind, and is thaking that into consideration. I think they know there will be a slow down in purchasing new computers. When does Apple want that slow down to occur? Before the Intel transition or after? The best possible outcome would be a slow down before the transition. Why? Well a few reasons. First off, they don't want to see a slow down after the transition. They want computer sales to skyrocket straight out of the box. Second, why would they want to sell more computers before the transition. That would make it look like people didn't want the transition and were stocking up on the PPC stuff and waiting on the mactels. Third, they don't want to increase the number of old PPC computers. The less PPC's there are, the more mactels you have selling. If you have a 3 yr old PPC you're more likely to buy a mactel sooner. How quickly will you get a mactel if you have a 5 month old G5? That will also mean less PPC's that need servicing in the future, and their whole user base will come onto Intel processors that much sooner.

Jobs at the Keynote said, that they have some great PPC products in the pipeline. That was it. He never said they would be out by the end of the year, as far as I can remember. Just because they have PPC products in the pipeline, doesn't mean they will ever see the light of day. They could BE in the pipeline, but they could be there forever, and never come out.

So although Apple may come out with some more 'products' before the transition, I don't think they will be computers. I think they may produce some 'products' to distract the consumer. To take their minds off the fact, that they are not producing computers. So what's left? Well 2 words... i....pod. They will have a ton of fan fair about the new ipods on Wednesday. They'll go on and on about the stupid phone. What about the video ipod? Well I do think they will make the video ipod, but how they market it will make or brake it. I think it might be nice to have a bigger screen, and maybe watch something on it, but the whole idea of loading it up doesn't seems to make sense. How long are you willing to wait to download a movie? It's not spontaneous. You have to start your download today and watch the movie tomorrow. It just doesn't seem right. However the bigger better screen would be nice. The video ipod would be nice, if you could use it to surf the net, do your e-mailing and that kinda stuff, on a nice screen.

What is transitioning first? Well Jobs said there would be mactels out BY June 06. So i don't think there will be too much coming out much sooner than June of next yr. I think the first things to come out will be the lower end models. The mini, the emac etc. Why? Well, first off, the higher power Intel chips are not supposed to come out till later in the yr in 06 and maybe 07. So why bring over the powermacs, and put in lower power chips? Doesn't make sense. Second, all the software the 'power users' use, will not be native yet. So what choice does Apple have? Bring out the mini. The lower power chips are there and available. Then lets face it, what software do the people who use the mini need? Pretty much i-life, that'll keep them happy for a long while. They are not that interested in mathamatica or things like that.

So in summation: Some new none computer products before the transition. Nothing on the computer front till after the transition.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-06, 08:28

Quote:
...so I think we'll be seeing PowerPC PowerMacs for at least a year more, but that assumes IBM has their shit together
Anyone other than me kinda scared that once Apple goes to Intel, they'll stall out too?

Just seems like every "next big new thing" for Apple, in terms of processors, starts out with much hype and excitement...then tends to crash and burn, or putter to bit of a grind.

Remember six years ago, in 1999, when the G4 came out? We were stoked. Then they had that downgrade issue. Then a few years later, we'd only skootched up a little bit. Then, by 2002 or so, everyone was dinging on the G4, left and right.

Then in summer of 2003, here comes the G5 to the rescue! Good things, good feelings, MUCH hype and excitement about the future, etc.

Now look.

I just think Apple has bad mojo in this department. They'll transition to Intel, with lots of hype and fanfare...and then be stuck at 3.6GHz or whatever for the next three years. There will be heating, supply, quality, power consumption and every other kind of issue in the world.

Mark my words...two years from now, we won't be one bit happier as we are right now.

"I know we promised great things in 2005, and I'm disappointed to have to stand here today and not be able to bring them to you. But we're announcing today that, starting in 2008, Apple will begin transitioning to...".

iCarus

2005-09-06, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

"I know we promised great things in 2005, and I'm disappointed to have to stand here today and not be able to bring them to you. But we're announcing today that, starting in 2008, Apple will begin transitioning to...".

....big iron POWER6 processors, soon, iBooks that will fit in just one room.
JayReding

2005-09-06, 10:16

I don't think that will be the case. Intel's no slouch in the processor department. They can create, faster, less power-hungry processors better than *anyone* in this business. They have the world's largest fab capacity. Had Apple gone with AMD, I'd worry about supply issues - with Intel, there's almost no chance. This was the most logical business move Apple could make at this point. I wouldn't worry at all about Intel letting us down.

I have another theory as to why SJ isn't doing the keynote. I believe Apple is ready to launch an iFlicks Movie Store. The technology is already there. Movies encoded at 1/2mbps H.264 that can stream on faster connections or be buffered and ready to play in an hour. A new Airport Extreme that transmits video wirelessly to your home theater system from your Mac. The technology is all here right now.

The only think standing in the way - the studios.

I think SJ was close to a deal to make it happen, then that deal collapsed. It would explain why his keynote was suddenly dropped. Granted, it's just an educated guess, but there have been enough tantalizing clues pointing in that direction to suggest that's where Apple's heading and that the studios would be the single biggest roadblock towards that getting done.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-09-06, 10:16

Quote:
Anyone other than me kinda scared that once Apple goes to Intel, they'll stall out too?

Just seems like every "next big new thing" for Apple, in terms of processors, starts out with much hype and excitement...then tends to crash and burn, or putter to bit of a grind.

Remember six years ago, in 1999, when the G4 came out? We were stoked. Then they had that downgrade issue. Then a few years later, we'd only skootched up a little bit. Then, by 2002 or so, everyone was dinging on the G4, left and right.

Then in summer of 2003, here comes the G5 to the rescue! Good things, good feelings, MUCH hype and excitement about the future, etc.

Now look.

I just think Apple has bad mojo in this department. They'll transition to Intel, with lots of hype and fanfare...and then be stuck at 3.6GHz or whatever for the next three years. There will be heating, supply, quality, power consumption and every other kind of issue in the world.

Mark my words...two years from now, we won't be one bit happier as we are right now.

The difference is, everytime Apple hit a wall, the PC side advanced. Now that they are on the same platform if Apple stalls so does the competition.

That's a bit better I think although less fun
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-06, 10:28

True. That's a good point. We can all share in the misery then, with our PC-using brethren!

I'm being a bit silly, earlier. I think the Intel thing will be fine, and I have good hopes for it. Just been a bit burned and left hanging twice before, that's all. They probably should've done this years ago, huh?

I hope this is the final hurdle. Since they already kick butt in the OS, software, product design, digital media, ease-of-use, security, etc. areas, I'm hoping for speed/performance to placate the spec whores and number freaks (from both the Mac and PC camps). Once that's taking place, that's just a whole bunch of reasons for people to consider a Mac...they won't be able to point to the GHz or various specs/numbers as much.

It'll come down to the true heart and guts: the OS, the software and the general approach/outlook to computers.

On those fronts, I don't even worry. Apple has it in the bag.
mjteix

2005-09-06, 11:02

About "No SteveNote in Paris this year!"
I believe that it's because no Mac products will be announced
why?
Most of us believed that Freescale's 7448 CPU would be available for PowerBooks, or even IBM's new low-power G5s, but I recall that Freescale's said 7448s will be available in october and who knows for the lower-power G5s!
Most of us believed that IBM's 970MP would be available for PowerMacs but again: who knows when/if they will be available for Apple!
iMacs are not due for an update yet.
Both Freescale and IBM are not close friends to Apple anymore, so I really don't think they will lend a hand nicely.
Another reason could be that the software is not yet ready for shipping with the updated Macs: even if the 7448 is pin-compatible with the 7447a, it doesn't mean that the current OS is, and again I believe that some parts of the software have to be re-written for supporting IBM's new chips (the 970MP is really another beast).
We may had our hopes too high.
The new PowerBooks maybe ready only sometimes in october.
As for the MP PowerMacs: who knows when?

For tomorrow's party: I believe it's gonna be all iPod/iTunes/Music Store and the Motorola's phone. New iPods "shuffle". New iPods "mini". New iTunes...
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-09-06, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix
The new PowerBooks maybe ready only sometimes in october.
Yeah...probably after the free iPod promo is over.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-09-06, 11:23

Quote:

Yup, I posted shortly after the Intel announcement that once Apple starts using Intel chips they'll stall out due to 'unforeseen issues'. I'm sure 6 months after Apple completes the switch to Intel, IBM will come out with some kind of killer chip and PCs will switch to IBM's chips and the whole 'Apple to Oranges' argument will start anew.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-09-06, 11:57

what about iTunes 5? An iPod Video?

the rumors haven't been clear but they haven't been totally against the possibility
davidgilmour

2005-09-06, 12:55

Quote:
does that mean that it's 100% sure that there won't be a new PB this month?
Is it possible that a new PB is released even though Steve stays home?

Has there ever been a PB update without a Stevenote?
iDaver

2005-09-06, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgilmour
Has there ever been a PB update without a Stevenote?
Sure there has; usually a low-key press release and updated Apple Store. It can happen any time.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-09-06, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaver
Sure there has; usually a low-key press release and updated Apple Store. It can happen any time.
I seem to recall a past low key update happened late in the business day...like just before 5 pm.