User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod Photo Mini Apples next Announcment...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Photo Mini Apples next Announcment...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
mlloyd

2005-08-18, 10:20

Info came from Apple UK Employee.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-18, 10:24

So.....

Baseless speculation is not a good way to start a thread.
mlloyd

2005-08-18, 10:27

My apologise the Employee told me direct. Not third hand info.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-18, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
So.....

Baseless speculation is not a good way to start a thread.

That's about the only way we do it around here, isn't it? What planet are you from?

But seriously, I do believe this. Not because of any "he said..." stuff, but just common sense. No reason not to, and it gives the iPods with displays - the white ones and the colorful minis - one more feather in their cap to look good against all the other players out there. Us Mac users get that whole iPhoto integration, and PC people can use the other method (forgot the program...some Adobe app, I believe).

Just further trickling down, and I'm surprised it's taken this long. I do feel bad for those folks who shelled out $599 for an "iPod photo" 6-9 months ago.

Bring it on. Just makes those minis that much more attractive and useful! Besides, the irony of the colored iPods only having a monochrome display is killing me.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-08-18 at 10:59.
Kyros

2005-08-18, 10:55

Not going to happen, drive is too small for them to bother.
JayReding

2005-08-18, 10:58

It makes sense. Why maintain production facilities for both color and monochrome screens when the price of color has dropped? There have been rumors of iPod minis with color screens for some time, so that would hardly be a surprise.

Doesn't necessarily mean that the rumor is true however...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-18, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
Are you referring to the capacity? Because everything I see and read also points to them (the minis) going to 6GB and 8GB models. I think that suits bazillions of people just fine. Not everyone is a hardcore geek with 650GB of mp3s, bootlegs, alternate takes, live albums or a huge photo nut with 50,000 high-res digital shots.

These would please that consumer sector (my Mom, my sister, quite a few of my friends, etc.) who have a modest amount of digital music (2-5GB) and a $300 consumer digital camera they use on weekends, kid birthday parties, family outings, etc.

Would my sister love a pink iPod with her favorite CDs all onboard, AND the latest, cutest photos of her two kids all over it? You bet your life, and so would about 50 million others!

And complete no-brainer, IMO, and I'll be shocked if it DOESN'T happen!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-08-18 at 11:09.
mlloyd

2005-08-18, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

It was definatly only a matter of time till it happened. Announcment from Apple coming soon. I will try to find out more.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-18, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
Erm. Your average song is 3-5 Megabytes. Your average photo is 2 Megabytes max. Furthermore, people are more likely to have massive amounts of digital music stored than of digital photos.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-08-18, 11:46

If this, and not quad-core powermacs, is the 20th Sept announcement, I will personally hurl.
citizen1nsn

2005-08-18, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
If this, and not quad-core powermacs, is the 20th Sept announcement, I will personally hurl.
Sorry to tell you this but there are more people who care about iPods than Powermacs.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-08-18, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1nsn
Sorry to tell you this but there are more people who care about iPods than Powermacs.
Don't be sorry, just don't be stupid, because while more people may buy iPods, there may also be more people that rely on PowerMacs to get real work done.

And that is why there is heavy interest in PowerMacs, G5's Intel, and all that. Apple cares more about their computers than the iPod because, guess what, more revenue still comes from the computer lines than the iPod lines.

Back down, bitch-noob.

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-08-18 at 16:36.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-18, 16:51

Quote:

That's about the only way we do it around here, isn't it? What planet are you from?

I am from the plant Omicron Persei 8.

And youre right, this is the only way we do things around here (I guess doing graveyard shifts all week on this pathetic planet has made me disoriented).

But right now Im going to have to disagree with you scates. I do agree that the mini will eventually get a colour screen but not yet. For one, what would be the point (besides that it gives them an edge over other competing mp3 players)?

The screen is way to small for it to have any of the features of its bigger brother when it comes to the colour screen.

Any ideas?
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-18, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
The screen is way to small for it to have any of the features of its bigger brother when it comes to the colour screen.
Way too small? I think it'll do just fine, and I believe the Zen Micro already has a color screen.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-08-18, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Way too small? I think it'll do just fine, and I believe the Zen Micro already has a color screen.
The Zen Micro Photo does, correct. Seeing as Apple merged the iPod regular and photo lines, maybe they'll make a "high-end" iPod mini photo first, then merge it together later. Maybe they'll skip that altogether, though.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-18, 18:45

Colour - or color - screens have been an inevitability since day one imho. I don't know where the "naysayers" about colour screens on iPods draw their firepower from?

Bring on the colour screen iPod mini, Apple. I'll be buying when they reach the magical 10GB capacity, though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-18, 18:53

Quote:

Care to bet a glass of sour milk on it?

Right now, we cannot get 4GB minis from any of our suppliers, in any color. Looks like an end-of-life is coming for them. We're trying to dump them ASAP so we don't get stuck with a bunch of discontinued stuff. 60GB Photos are also pulling a disappearing act. Something is definitely up, but its hard to say what. Considering the ready availability of 6GB minis, I'd say Apple is going to replace the 4GB with the 6GB and bring in an 8GB mini. No photo, though. If the lineup was going to migrate to a new interface (photo), then we'd be having trouble getting the 6GB models as well. And with the 60GB modesl suddenly disappearing as well, there may be something brand new coming down the pipes.

Look for 6GB and 8GB minis, Dual-core + Dual-processor G5 Towers and possibly a new high-end PowerBook (The 15-inch SD and 17-inch are suddenly hard to find, also, and the Dual 2.7 PowerMacs have vanished from our suppliers).

Keep in mind that our estimated shipping times on 4GB minis, 60GB Photos, high-end PowerBooks and the dual 2.7 is 2-3 weeks. Starts to get right into the middle of September. Do the math.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-08-18, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd
Info came from Apple UK Employee.
Oh, yeah:

mlloyd, you should really think twice about mentioning the source of your sources. Apple has a very stringent code for their employees talking about rumors or coming products. You can bet your not-thinking-ahead-ass that Apple watches these forums and uses the information within them to track rumors, thiefs and wayward staff. If you got your info from a guy working at the UK Apple Store then, regardless of whether or not the rumors are true, you can bet your ass that you have just placed his job in absolute jeapordy!

Think twice about that crap, dude!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-08-18, 19:09

Quote:
Because everything I see and read also points to them (the minis) going to 6GB and 8GB models.
True. But what happens if we do get colour 6gb and 8gb minis? What fills in the low end of the iPod line? Perhaps nothing.

Or is there a 2gb shuffle in the works? However, this still leaves a big gap between high end Shuffle and low end mini.
I'd love to see colour screened minis, but it seems like such a natural way to differentiate them from the iPod line.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-18, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
The Zen Micro Photo does, correct. Seeing as Apple merged the iPod regular and photo lines, maybe they'll make a "high-end" iPod mini photo first, then merge it together later. Maybe they'll skip that altogether, though.
Yes, that worked so well last time.

I say skip the initial gouge-fest and reports of "this thing isn't selling that well", and just cut to the chase and make the entire line color...they're gonna head there anyway, why screw around and put it off for nine more months?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-18, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo
True. But what happens if we do get colour 6gb and 8gb minis? What fills in the low end of the iPod line? Perhaps nothing.
But is there a law saying there has to be a particularly defined "low end"?

Why can't 6GB and 8GB be the new "low end" (things only go up in size and capacity over time, you know...can't stay at 4GB forever). Besides, within 6-9 months time, there could very well be a 2GB shuffle. THAT would be the true "low end" (but still a healthy amount of songs).

And there would be a nice gap between each model in capacity and features...enough to make a clearly defined line, with $50-100 increments from bottom to top, giving everyone a nice, wide choice: 2GB shuffles for the beginner or exerciser, the minis for those with growing collections surpassing 4GB and the white ones for everyone else.

I don't believe Apple has to keep the iPod mini at 4GB to meet some artificially set notion of a "low end". Especially if the prices remained the same (or even skootched down a bit), who in the world is going to complain?
chucker

2005-08-18, 20:29

Quote:
I say skip the initial gouge-fest and reports of "this thing isn't selling that well", and just cut to the chase and make the entire line color...they're gonna head there anyway, why screw around and put it off for nine more months?
I think it's more of a supply problem. Please, nobody bring about the fact that Creative Zen micro photos have existed for a while, so "supply must be there". Remember that, compared to iPods, Zens only have a fraction of the market share. Apple would need to acquire and stock much, much higher supply of color displays and 1 inch hard drives than Creative does.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-19, 00:31

The iPod line, by Macworld:

iPod shuffle 1 GB - $99
iPod shuffle 2 GB - $149
iPod mini 6 GB - $199
iPod mini 8 GB - $249
iPod (5G) 20 GB - $299
iPod (5G) 60 GB - $349
iPod video 80 GB - $399

The updates could come at Paris, Macworld, or some iPod event in between.

I have to say that this is the hardest iPod prediction I've had to make yet. The only line I'm really confident in predicting the future of is the iPod shuffle line - and, ironically, it's the one I wish would change the most. (Screen? Please?) I'm pretty sure that the iPod mini will gain a color screen as it enters its next generation (2G? 3G?), but I could see Apple waiting on that too. The iPod is harder still to pin down - I'm sure the fifth generation is coming, but I'm not sure what it will entail. I'm also not sure if they'll bump the $299 iPod to 30 GB, but I'm not betting on it. Finally, I'm pretty sure we'll see an iPod video soon, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to cram 80 GB into it and keep it at $399 - or if it will debut at $399 at all.
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-19, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
The iPod line, by Macworld:
I think that if anything, the iPod 5g will be the iPod Video. They wont be separate.

Sales of iPod Photo showed that a premium, high price version of the iPod doesn't work. The iPod would need to adopt video capabilities, while the iPod Mini takes over the role of the current iPod, imo.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-19, 06:03

I totally agree. I think Apple learned that giving a special designation to one of its iPods, then charging out the yabba-dabba for it probably wasn't the slickest, best way to go about it.

Whatever constitutes a "5G iPod", I believe the entire line will get it and it'll simply still just be called iPod. At that point, the colored minis will pretty much take on the function of today's 20GB white ones (minus the capacity, of course), with color screens and iPhoto integration, but no video or whatever else makes the white ones the "5G" version.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-08-19, 07:39

The mini could use a color screen even if it's storage capacity is too small for real use with iPhoto.

I think the true draw of the color screen is it's clarity, speedy refresh as compared to the older screens, and the ability to display album art.

With that said, I prefer my current screen and the accompanying increased battery life. Color screens consume more power. Perhaps apple's research shows that battery life is now sufficient enough that it's worth the tradeoff?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-19, 08:16

Just depends on the user, I guess.

For many people, I'd think a 6-8GB photo-capable iPod mini is probably more than enough.

This Paris thing isn't for another month or so, right? So what's going to happen between now and then? Or do you think that Mighty Mouse will stick around on the front page for another entire month?

Could/should things like iPod updates come before Paris, leaving the Expo to focus on dual-core towers, updated PowerBooks and possibly some new "mystery product"?

Or will 2/3 of the Paris keynote be about iPods, with color-display minis and 2GB shuffles making up the "...one more thing"?

mattf

2005-08-19, 09:07

Quote:
Or will 2/3 of the Paris keynote be about iPods, with color-display minis and 2GB shuffles making up the "...one more thing"?

OK, now you've done. You've spoiled Steve's surprise. He WAS going to announce those things, knowing that they would be a special, momentous and astonishing revelation to each and every one of us, but now he's going to have to resort to plan B. You know, the one where he announces OSXI. New features of OSXI include:
  • Contextual pop-up help functionality - Change programs and an animated "inaminate object" character will pop up on your screen with useful help dialogue. Examples of dialogue include "You seem to be using Mail. Would you like me to insult your intelligence by telling you that you can send new mail by clicking on the New Mail button?"
  • Automated program execution in web browser - Sick of having to download programs, open finder and then open your downloaded program? Then the new version of Safari is for you! Any programs included in a web page will be automatically executed saving you precious time. New program support includes the critically acclaimed ActiveX
  • User access made simple - Tired of all those prompts asking you to enter your password and telling you not to run programs that you shouldn't? OSXI will include the option to run all programs as the "root" user, ensuring that you all programs will automatically run with any access rights that they might need
  • Easier firewall configuration - Confused by programs telling you that you need to allow access through your firewall? OSXI will allow you to turn on the firewall for ports from the default state of off.
  • TEH snappy - OSXI will be teh snappiest OS yet.

Apparently these features are seen as the perfect way to entice Windows users to the Macintosh platform, with the exception of the last one which is left in to keep all of the old, bearded, sandal-wearing, hygiene-challenged OSX users happy.

I can't wait!

Excuse me, I have to go. The nurse with the pointy stick is calling.....
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-19, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I think that if anything, the iPod 5g will be the iPod Video. They wont be separate.

Sales of iPod Photo showed that a premium, high price version of the iPod doesn't work. The iPod would need to adopt video capabilities, while the iPod Mini takes over the role of the current iPod, imo.
By "iPod video," I don't mean a traditional iPod with video playback.

I mean something more like the Zen Vision - an all-new iPod with a different shape, a much larger screen...an entirely new entry into the iPod line.

I know that the iPod photo didn't sell well, and I'm not saying Apple's going to repeat that mistake. I'm not talking about a "premium version of the iPod" - I'm talking about an all-new iPod designed from the ground up for video playback.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-08-19, 15:02

Keep in mind that even though the iPod photo didn't sell in huge numbers relative to the other iPods, this doesn't necessarily mean it was a failure. It was the luxury model, top of the line, where even the mid-range was really a luxury item.

I've always asserted that given current cost and battery constraints, a color screen isn't optimal for most users. However, that doesn't mean that color screens won't sell well, or even that color screens in the line-up won't impact sales. Many retailers keep high end items in stock only to sway people to next more expensive model in a particular line-up. Perception of price and value are greatly influenced by comparison to other offerings.

My take is that the iPod photo, while not selling at high volumes, still helped apple's bottom line. iPod lust and mindshare was kept high by giving people something to dream about.

Last edited by dfiler : 2005-08-19 at 15:08.